Prey (was: Predator 5)

JohnC

Various animals do die in horrific ways. But a specific answer for the dog:

Spoiler

No.

I thought this was really good, even if it doesn't reach excellent - maybe a 4/5 is fair. General spoiler-y thoughts:

Spoiler

The climactic fight doesn't quite convince, and I guess it's the kind of thing that has idiots review-bombing IMDB, but it came close enough.

Besides some inventive tactics from Pred, I don't think there were any real surprises at any point but it was very well made, and some scenes like Bear Vs Predator - a spin-off franchise I would welcome - are astonishing. It's a very beautiful film. I have no idea why it's not getting much of a / any cinema release.

The lifts from the original film were a bit clumsy. Something subtle could have worked but they pretty much winked at the camera after delivering one of the lines in particular.

I thought Midthunder was great - a world away from her wooden Legion performance.

This was a very good film. I'd have happily paid to see it in the cinema. 

It has very ropey CGI which no one mentions cos it's not a MCU film or series it appears. 

Don't care though cos I was very entertained.  

Wow. A Great Predator movie. 

Not going to win any Oscar’s but the threat felt real, the central characters were believable and worked. It wasn’t rushed in how it builds up and I imagine inspiration has been sought from The Revenant in capturing some of the atmosphere of the wild around that time. 

The tone and feel reminded me a little bit of The Grey (the Liam Neeson wolf film which despite ropey reviews I rather enjoyed). 

This is damn good. Take away the existence of the original Predator for a minute and it's one of the best of this type of horror/survival (which is different from survival horror) films I've seen.

And within the context of the Predator series it's obviously the best sequel.

Amber Midthunder has really piercing eyes, total movie star.

Prey was decent, wish it had a higher budget because everything just looked too clean and shiny. Even though I watch Predator 1 and 2 recently, I can't help but think Predator in general are cheap. I mean they're hunters but have so much advantage over the prey that its nigh on impossible to lose at times. Invisibility, infra red, projectiles, spear, shield etc.

Thoroughly enjoyed that.  

Close call with Predator 2 as to which is the better sequel to the classic original.  None of the rest are even in the same conversation.

Thought this was great, a really cool idea of pitting a Predator against people who are at a clear disadvantage, (way more than Arnie and co ever were) and how they use their skills, hunting knowledge and environment against it. So much more interesting than "Predator faces off against modern men with modern guns"

The sound design is really great, the cinematography looks stunning and even though the CGI was a little shonky in parts it didn't really matter much.

Amber Midthunder did a great job in the lead and anyone review bombing it just because she's not a muscle bound white guy can fuck off. The film does a great job of setting up/showing her hunting and combat skills, plus 

Spoiler

she doesn't take it down alone anyway and uses her knowledge of the environment to ultimately help kill it, which was clever. I found her very captivating.

Definitely the 2nd best in franchise for me and we can finally forget about Alien vs Predator...

Spoiler

because it's now all about BEAR VS PREDATOR.

That was lovely! Hype for this was exactly one day, so came out of nowhere. Who knew Predator 7 would be in the top two Predator films.

Surprised by the high production values and cinematography. Liked the full screen shots of various representatives of the animal kingdom, and no probs with the lighting, the blacks in the final fight really popped. Thought the Atmos was well implemented too, lil’ axes zooming around the room.

Yeah that was good but...

Spoiler

...I think the final scenes in the credits render it all a bit for nothing.  The three Predator ships arriving, obviously killing the entire tribe and taking back the pistol (which they will eventually give to Harrigan in Predator 2) mean that ultimately Naru's victory was fruitless.

3 hours ago, Bucky said:

Yeah that was good but...

Hide contents

...I think the final scenes in the credits render it all a bit for nothing.  The three Predator ships arriving, obviously killing the entire tribe and taking back the pistol (which they will eventually give to Harrigan in Predator 2) mean that ultimately Naru's victory was fruitless.

Spoiler

I read it as a set-up for a sequel, which ends with Naru respectfully gifting them the pistol like they subsequently do in P2. Predators don’t keep the weapons of their victims as trophies - they keep their skulls 

12 hours ago, Fallows said:

Me and the lad loved it. I didn't tell him it was a Predator movie (Predator is one of his favourites) so he was very excited once the penny dropped.

I think I read that the director wanted to conceal the fact that it was a Predator movie until as late as possible, but the studio went ahead and marketed it as one from the first announcement.

11 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think I read that the director wanted to conceal the fact that it was a Predator movie until as late as possible, but the studio went ahead and marketed it as one from the first announcement.

Thats a real real shame. Part of the joy of Predator for me was that I had no idea it was an alien bastard movie until the mid point when I originally watched it. Would have been great to recreate that

35 minutes ago, Turino 73 said:

Thats a real real shame. Part of the joy of Predator for me was that I had no idea it was an alien bastard movie until the mid point when I originally watched it. Would have been great to recreate that

Eh?

The first shot of Predator is in space showing an alien space ship and that escape pod landing on Earth.

I thought it was great, and had to take a moment to check the runtime when I was pleasantly surprised that they'd got pretty much fully halfway in without things kicking off yet. I felt similar about the pred being 'teased' - yes we know it's him, but you never get a good look til later and the way they give glimpses is always satisfying.

It's a very patient film, to its merit, and when it does kick off it does it well. Also, I bet being on-set fucking around at pretending to be Kratos must've been great fun.

Only 'downside' from me is that the audio mix on disney seemed very low and I had to boost my entire system a bit. *shrug*

I loved how much

Spoiler

the pred got utterly bullied by neru once she'd sized him up. Proper mugged off.

I also read the ending teaser the same as the others above, seemed more likely that the gun was handed over diplomatically. Honestly I thought going in that we might see them team up against the europeans in this film, so there's no reason that wouldnt be off the cards for 'post-film'.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

I read it as a set-up for a sequel, which ends with Naru respectfully gifting them the pistol like they subsequently do in P2. Predators don’t keep the weapons of their victims as trophies - they keep their skulls 

Spoiler

The hell kind of sequel is that? 

PREDATORS: Alright? 

NARU: I killed your mate. Please have this gun. 

PREDATORS: Thanks for that. Be seeing you. 

Just now, Chadruharazzeb said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I mean, we know that the pred have a degree of respect for anyone who can take one of them down. And frankly they'd probably be somewhat similarly impressed at them sticking up for themselves against the westerners given the force differential.

Oh, ALSO, not a spoiler but an observation - I dont think they ever addressed why neru and her bro have matching scars on their shoulders?

I spent a few minutes at the start wondering if that would be a comanche tradition or something but no-one else had it. Wouldnt be surprised if the film is full of little things like that for people who would know to look for it though.

25 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Hide contents

:lol: Not as the first act!