Ambilight & Gaming

T Pot

I have the HDMI sync box and new strip around the back of my LG C9.  Be aware the sync box doesn't handle 120hz which is why i dont have my Series X and PS5 connected through it. 

I use mine connected to my Onkyo amp and then to my ARC HDMI on the TV.  I have my Switch, UHD Blu Ray Player and Switch connected to the Onkyo.  That way i can watch movies with ambilight for Disney+/Netflix and also movies on UHD disc.   It is fantastic.

Sound from PS5 and Series X still goes through the amp via ARC, but you can only do this when one HDMI is connected to the Sync Box.

BTW, i purchased all of this from recommendations from Mr Tony on this forum.  He has cost me a lot of money :D

Happy to answer any questions anyone may have on it

1 minute ago, AlanT said:

Be aware the sync box doesn't handle 120hz which is why i dont have my Series X and PS5 connected through it. 

Was about to ask this. That's always the problem with devices you put in the middle. That kills it for me.

If the sync box and a light strip was about £200 then I'd probably get one for my man cave setup, but £350-400 for a basic bundle is a bit rich, especially when you can get a cheap LED Philips TV for that much already. It's a shame, as it looks cool, although they seem to be going more for people who want an entire living room set up as opposed to people in a similar situation to mine.

Another Philips Ambilight owner here (55"). This should be on all TV's! I already had the bulbs and bridge when I bought the TV and even though I thought it might be a bit gimmicky, it turns out it's actually pretty excellent. I definitely couldn't go back to watching TV/movies/playing games without it.

5 hours ago, Quest said:

Any way to do something similar from an Android TV box?

The only thing I've found is a plugin for Kodi which I used to use before I got the TV. Not sure if it's still supported but I think you need at least the Hub for it to work

https://github.com/mpolednik/script.kodi.hue.ambilight

I also use ScreenBloom which works on PC/Mac

http://www.screenbloom.com/

edit: I should note that I have Android TV as my OS, not Sapphi but unless I'm watching broadcast TV, I use my Shield instead

Another member of the Ambilight club (43). Can confirm that the Sapphi OS is bobbins and I’ve had to get a 4K Fire Stick to watch Apple TV & Disney +, but the blacks are proper black, it’s backlit not edge, and I love it.  Will invest in the Hue stuff to go with it at some point, but just on its own it’s great, and watching Star Wars in 4K with the lights off is :wub:  (This is from last Xmas, the banding at the start is from the iPhone, not the screen)

Mario Kart & Odyssey also look pretty fantastic as well.  Like some previous posters I will stick with Philips and Ambilight but go for something larger, OLED and Android OS based, but for the moment I’m pretty happy.

Edit: The Video looks better on You Tube in 1080p but you get the idea

Edited by Ivanho

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

If the sync box and a light strip was about £200 then I'd probably get one for my man cave setup, but £350-400 for a basic bundle is a bit rich, especially when you can get a cheap LED Philips TV for that much already. It's a shame, as it looks cool, although they seem to be going more for people who want an entire living room set up as opposed to people in a similar situation to mine.

It’s definitely an investment! Over the years I’ve bought a lot of hue stuff, and it all started because I wanted a night light for my son and didn’t want one with a wire. 

Now I have 3 rooms with the main bulb as a hue bulb, two light strips, two hue go lamps, a couple of lamps with hue bulbs in and two hue play bars. 

6 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

It’s definitely an investment! Over the years I’ve bought a lot of hue stuff, and it all started because I wanted a night light for my son and didn’t want one with a wire. 

Now I have 3 rooms with the main bulb as a hue bulb, two light strips, two hue go lamps, a couple of lamps with hue bulbs in and two hue play bars. 

Do you have to get the bridge as well as the sync box, or could I just get the sync box and the light strip if I want it around the back of the TV?

On 23/11/2020 at 12:47, The Fox said:

If you have a living room PC then you don't need the syncbox as you can just use the Windows Hue Sync app. It's a bit more faff though. I have a lightstrip behind my Sony OLED synced up in this way.

On 23/11/2020 at 17:49, Valver said:

Don't think it can work on an Android TV box, but a PC or Raspberry Pi can do it:

https://hyperion-project.org/

Looks like it needs a *lot* of tinkering.  Its a proper DIY setup.

edit:  adding a "how to" video

My son would absolutely love something like this for his PC, but he has a 144hz monitor so I guess the Phillips box would not work? But the app would? So if it’s just for use with a PC, you need the lights and a bridge?

The Hue kit is out of our price range for the time being, if the DIY kit can produce comparable results though then that might be an option...

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

My son would absolutely love something like this for his PC, but he has a 144hz monitor so I guess the Phillips box would not work? But the app would? So if it’s just for use with a PC, you need the lights and a bridge?

The Hue kit is out of our price range for the time being, if the DIY kit can produce comparable results though then that might be an option...

I don’t have a Syncbox so I can only get the lightstrip to work when playing media/games via the PC and running the Windows app. I guess the advantage of the Syncbox is that it would work with consoles too, but it’s a lot of money just to add that functionality so I’m not that arsed. I have a hub in addition to the lightstrip.

11 hours ago, denisb said:

So I'm right in thinking this option gives you two lightbars which you pop on on the left/right of the screen and each bar is a single colour at a time? The light strips are the way to get full lighting aligned with whats on the screen?

50 minutes ago, watusi said:

So I'm right in thinking this option gives you two lightbars which you pop on on the left/right of the screen and each bar is a single colour at a time? The light strips are the way to get full lighting aligned with whats on the screen?

Depending on how big your telly is you might want to get another bar .

I use 3 on my 65" which gives good effect .

I've just bought the gradient strip 

Well the hue stuff is well out of our price bracket, so I’ve plumped for a  wee box that connects to the PC by USB, and comes with 5m of LEDs for £40 off eBay. Controlled by free software. Will feed back on how it performs after Christmas!