Ambilight & Gaming

T Pot

Sort of.  That kit just adds a white light bias effect around the TV, which (according to the review) makes it better for your eyes when watching TV.  Ambilight can do the same if you use the White setting, but its main purpose, and key selling point, is to change the colours according to what is on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

So if I wanted to add ambilight to my current TV (65" Q9FN Samsung) what is the full monty. I already have some cheap bias lighting on the back of the TV, you can change colours with a remote and do some sort of shitty disco effect if you are nuts but that's your lot.

I deffo fancy some sort of interactive stuff like on the previous page and don't mind spending to get a decent setup, 4-500 whatever. I'd just like to know what gets you to that place. The link for what I surmise was everything needed from Game is kaput.

I'll be going bigger on the TV front once HDMI 2.1 is completely ironed out (hopefully in the next 12 months) so if I was to buy what denisb has above and then the other bits that I'm lost about would the strip not work if say I went up to 75-77" in the future?

Fucking love all this wifi light shit, my flat is like a glowing gaudy nightclub but this ambilight seems like the ultimate bias lighting for movies and games.

23 minutes ago, denisb said:

I’ve got a brand new sealed 65” gradient light strip I’ll be listing if anyone’s interested before I send it back 

trades considered 

decided to stick with the light bars? I have a mate who might be interested in that strip. How much?

30 minutes ago, watusi said:

decided to stick with the light bars? I have a mate who might be interested in that strip. How much?

no way this blows the light bars turns it into a full 3 sided ambielight like a Philips tv 

due to Philips and ups behaving like a bunch of cu**s I’ve got a spare 

Set up my new sync box and rgb strip and it is great. Playing left 4 dead 2 and the light from your torch goes around the room. Go into a dark area and shoot and the whole room in real life lights up just like the game. When you get hit from behind by a zombie the light behind me goes red too.

In cyber punk as you go under each street light the light in the room brightens and really makes you feel like you’re in a travelling car. Of course there’s lots of areas in this game that work great and especially certain scenes where when the game cuts to black so do the lights.

Really impressed by this and for games it works fairly well, movies it depends. Too many quick cuts with light changes can be distracting but for the most part a lot of films especially Pixar films work great. It’s expensive, even at half the price it’s still a massive luxury (gimmick?) but I love it. Sadly the subscription to the sync my lights devs has now been cancelled, was a fun app whilst it lasted but now is no longer needed.

Btw one sole Xbox game actually supports lights directly, Chariot and when you do certain actions certain lights will do things. Shame more games haven’t  implemented this as the lights become a part of the game rather than just expanding the visuals outside the screen.

• 5 weeks later...

Just bought myself a couple of the Philips Hue playbars and the Hue bridge. Did a fair bit of homework so hopefully I've purchased all that I need to get some interactive gaming. I'm mainly on PC which I have connected up in the living room to a 65" Q9FN so I'm hoping that one on either side of the TV connected via the supplied sticky pads is enough to give some decent illumination. Will probably buy another for the top middle of the screen further down the line.

Didn't entertain the HDMI option as I'll be going for a PS5 soon enough and I've decided that any new purchases this year will need to be 2.1 compliant, sync box is HDMI 2.0.

I do have a Switch, One X and PS4 Pro so it could have been a goer. I can just set the playbar to simple bias lightening when playing on them though, like I say I'm mainly on PC for my entertainment. 

Got a decent PC, 9900K, 2080ti and 32GGB of RAM but even so I'm a bit of a 'kill all superfluous programmes whilst gaming' nutter so I'm hoping the app for the dancing lights is super lean. Don't want to be dropping frames for a few whizz bang colours. We'll see.

All coming tomorrow. Pretty excited tbh.

As I said, I mainly use the PC for everything, games, all my streaming shite, video etc. I can go weeks without switching on any consoles so I won't miss the lack of HDMI synching. If it's any cop with games and Netflix et al I may buy a HDMI sync box down the line, if it's updated and compatible with 2.1.

Well that's fucking great fun. Honestly. Just gave Toy Story 4 in 4K HDR via pot player a go, Atmos the lot. The effect was great, really on the ball and with big bassy sound it really enhanced the video. But gaming, wow. I've just been playing Pacer (newish game by some of the Wipeout team) and it's like an old quote that stuck with me from the original Wipeout review in C&VG "It's like an evil druggy Rave". 

Had one moment when a blue bolt shot past my ship and seemed to fly off the side of the screen, 3D like.

Love it. Haven't fine tuned it yet, got to fiddle with the light position and intensity etc in the app but right off the bat it definitely adds a new dimension to entertainment. Well it does if you're someone like me who already has LED smart bulbs and strip lights dotted around their flat, love all that shit.

Can deffo recommend the sync via ethernet if your mainly on PC.

Off to buy some LSD and then another Playbar or Hue LED strip for the middle of my screen. 

EDIT* Bought another Playbar, had an unexpected £20 voucher off of Amazon due to a Blink camera fuck up so got it for £25. The light show from these three bars is fan fucking tastic. Total Ambilight convert. Wouldn't buy one of their TVs mind, they never seem to match other brands for overall screen quality. Well, according to reviews anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is a bit random, but I figured fellow Philips owners might be able to advise. Hitherto, I’ve set the mode of my TV to ‘game’, which I’m led to believe is best because… less lag? Although I’m not sure exactly what that means. I do know that it gives a more vivid image - but I get terrible colour banding. If I change to another mode, like personal, this ‘fixes’ the banding, but colours become more muted and washed out. 

What setting do you folks use? I feel like I’m supposed to use game, but the banding is really unacceptable. 

I would have to check but I think I use vivid and then adjust it from there.  It took me ages to get the picture settings right for me, and I do think it is subjective as I suspect some would look at mine and think I was mad.

Anyway, I’ll post my settings up tomorrow.

What model Philips do you have?

12 hours ago, Ivanho said:

I would have to check but I think I use vivid and then adjust it from there.  It took me ages to get the picture settings right for me, and I do think it is subjective as I suspect some would look at mine and think I was mad.

Anyway, I’ll post my settings up tomorrow.

What model Philips do you have?

Thanks Ivanho, maybe I’ll try vivid for a bit. 

I’ve got a 55OLED754/12.

My set is this one

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/43PUS6703_12/6700-series-ultra-slim-4k-uhd-led-smart-tv-with-ambilight-3-sided/support

4K but not OLED.

Settings are

Game Mode

colour 70

contrast 90

sharpness 5

brightness 50

Expert Mode Settings

colour enhancement Max

colour temp Normal

contrast mode Off

dynamic contrast Max

video contrast 100

gamma 0

ultra res On

NR Max

MPEG reduction Max

Like I said, some people will be horrified by these settings, but they work for me.

6 hours ago, Ivanho said:

My set is this one

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/43PUS6703_12/6700-series-ultra-slim-4k-uhd-led-smart-tv-with-ambilight-3-sided/support

4K but not OLED.

Settings are

Game Mode

colour 70

contrast 90

sharpness 5

brightness 50

Expert Mode Settings

colour enhancement Max

colour temp Normal

contrast mode Off

dynamic contrast Max

video contrast 100

gamma 0

ultra res On

NR Max

MPEG reduction Max

Like I said, some people will be horrified by these settings, but they work for me.

Horrified is one word. Blinded another. I have a TV from this range and just tried those settings. I genuinely think you might have something wrong with your eyes.

Personal preference is personal preference but:

Sharpness above 3 on this TV is overkill but in fairness it’s the least of your worries.

Dynamic Contrast is broken IMHO. I’ve used it on a Samsung in the past and couldn’t understand why everyone was so against it but on this it literally destroys the picture.

Colour at 70 combined with Colour Enhancement set to max is a vibe, I’ll give you that. When I just tried it, colour enhancement made everything look less natural and I noticed a loss in detail. There are situations where colour enhancement works, though. HDR Game mode requires a bit of a helping hand in this department.

And I’ve no idea what noise and mpeg reduction would add to a modern console other than lag and a messed up image but those would be my main suspects for banding issues.

6 hours ago, Ivanho said:

My set is this one

4K but not OLED.

Settings are

Game Mode

colour 70

contrast 90

sharpness 5

brightness 50

Expert Mode Settings

colour enhancement Max

colour temp Normal

contrast mode Off

dynamic contrast Max

video contrast 100

gamma 0

ultra res On

NR Max

MPEG reduction Max

switch off most of the expert settings like mpeg reduction etc. 

Also something I’ve learned with this TV recently. Disconnect from WiFi and then disable it in the settings.

It will feel like a whole new TV. Doing that made my menus go from a 3 second lag on button presses to instant response. No idea wtf it was doing when connected to WiFi, but the fact that button presses were so slow wouldn’t surprise me if it was tracking and uploading every press.

5 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

Horrified is one word. Blinded another. I have a TV from this range and just tried those settings. I genuinely think you might have something wrong with your eyes.

Personal preference is personal preference but:

Sharpness above 3 on this TV is overkill but in fairness it’s the least of your worries.

Dynamic Contrast is broken IMHO. I’ve used it on a Samsung in the past and couldn’t understand why everyone was so against it but on this it literally destroys the picture.

Colour at 70 combined with Colour Enhancement set to max is a vibe, I’ll give you that. When I just tried it, colour enhancement made everything look less natural and I noticed a loss in detail. There are situations where colour enhancement works, though. HDR Game mode requires a bit of a helping hand in this department.

And I’ve no idea what noise and mpeg reduction would add to a modern console other than lag and a messed up image but those would be my main suspects for banding issues.

To be fair I was expecting this, and I have tried lowering the settings, turning expert mode stuff off, but it just looked a bit…dull. What settings are you using so I have a reference?

If I already have phillips hue bulbs in my house and therefore a hub, what would I need to buy in order to get this fancy stuff working with my PC for gaming? 

Would just this:

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p/hue-white-and-colour-ambiance-play-gradient-lightstrip-55-inch/8718699784751#overview

and the playsync application installing on my PC work?

Edit: ah no just seen I need a sync box too :(. No good for me then since it appears to only support HDMI and no DP so oh well!

Yeah, just the hub and the apps (both for phone and PC) will get you up and running on PC. I love it, have four play bars, a Hue Go 2 and two Hue colour bulbs set up in a similar fashion to a surround sound setting, rear lights syncing etc. The phone app has fairly recently been updated and is good for setting height and position now, was a bit obscure previously imo.

It's a good way to enhance games. I'm currently playing Nioh 2 as I type and expecting a knock from someone off the street asking if they can come to the party.