IGNORED

Turn your Xbox Series S or X into a fantastic emulation machine, using Dev Mode

dumpster

This is neat! :)

Got Retroarch up and running and spent lots of time adding and tweaking game but ultimately breaking them so they either don't load etc .Was wondering if there was a single file/s that can be overwritten that would set up some of the important stuff? or isn't that possible with Retroarch on the Xbox Series X?

I'm a bit caught between two threads here. Not sure whether to post in here or the actual RetroArch thread.

Has anyone managed to get games loading from external USB? I have a 64Gb stick with DC and Saturn games on, but keep getting an error saying "core does not support vfs". I've googled it a bit and everything is talking about the PC version, from what I've found.

Also, I can't seem to find a way to copy stuff from my Linux laptop to my Xbox. I've been able to map the Xbox as a network drive in Windows, but I want to avoid rebooting every time I want to copy something. Not least because Linux has somehow lost the permission to write to my Windows drive, which is adding an extra layer of faff to the whole proceedings. 

On 18/09/2021 at 18:53, alex3d said:

Is there any way to play old point and click adventures? Is there maybe ScummVM support in RA?

I was wondering this but ended up just emulating the Amiga versions of Monkey Island and PS1 versions of Broken Sword, as those were all I was really interested in.

would be good to have ScummVM working proper though.

On 21/09/2021 at 18:56, carlospie said:

Il inspect mine later. Does the actual app run?

Oddly iv only tried psone and gamecube

I might try something PS1, then. I'm wondering if it's the USB stick I'm using? I've changed the format and that hasn't worked. 

Slightly odd one: can it emulate non back compatible og xbox games? Fancy a go of the original Forza Motorsport 

On 20/09/2021 at 09:15, ScouserInExile said:

I'm a bit caught between two threads here. Not sure whether to post in here or the actual RetroArch thread.

Has anyone managed to get games loading from external USB? I have a 64Gb stick with DC and Saturn games on, but keep getting an error saying "core does not support vfs". I've googled it a bit and everything is talking about the PC version, from what I've found.

Also, I can't seem to find a way to copy stuff from my Linux laptop to my Xbox. I've been able to map the Xbox as a network drive in Windows, but I want to avoid rebooting every time I want to copy something. Not least because Linux has somehow lost the permission to write to my Windows drive, which is adding an extra layer of faff to the whole proceedings. 

I had the VFS error. Gradius 5 on PS2 - I tried it (from usb) it worked, I gave a little cry and decided to play it later.  When I tried to reload it a second time it didn't work.  I forgot how I fixed it now, but it was in the settings, and something to do with run ahead, latency, or the video drivers.  It's all working now, and I returned to the RA menus and saved config and it's not failed again.

39 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

So you fixed it, but can't tell me how? Thanks for that. I don't know what I'd do without people like you helping.

I'll have a fiddle with some of the settings you've mentioned and see if anything works. 

Yes, I can't remember exactly what fixed it but it was something to do with latency or video drivers, so start there.  Obviously I can't give better advice than that  because mine works now. 

6 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Yes, I can't remember exactly what fixed it but it was something to do with latency or video drivers, so start there.  Obviously I can't give better advice than that  because mine works now. 

I have some ps2 roms, I'll try them to see if I get the same results and then have a fiddle with some settings. 

Hey folks!

I've a Series X, and my One X is sitting in a cupboard collecting dust.

Is it as good as the Series S for emulation, more or less? Or are there any limitations I should know about beforehand?

I'm thinking of just turning it in to a dedicated Emulation machine with the Series X staying official.

Other than retroarch is there other cool stuff I can do with it?

Thanks ever so much!!

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

Hey folks!

Is it as good as the Series S for emulation, more or less? Or are there any limitations I should know about beforehand?

I'm thinking of just turning it in to a dedicated Emulation machine with the Series X staying official.

Thanks ever so much!!

So I might be wrong.... But what I believe is that Dev mode was always available on Xbox One and most of these emulators are the actual same emulators from that time (someone on the discord told me that the GameCube core for RA is an older, buggier emulator than the continually updated PC version of Dolphin.  Likewise, AM2R on Xbox is not being updated and crashes all the time.)

So what happened was the existing Xbox One emulation scene took a massive leap back into focus as people saw how much better the PS2 era emulation suddenly worked.  It's not a new thing for the Xbox Series consoles, it was always there and thee extra power of the consoles made it run better. 

So yes, your older Xbox will support all this stuff, but I'd guess that 16 bit will be great and anything past that will be a mixed bag.

8 hours ago, Simmy said:

Hey folks!

Thanks ever so much!!

The CPU on the original Xbox One / S / X is very slow, unfortunately it's nowhere near the Series S performance wise. As @dumpster said you're looking at 16-bit emulation and not much more.

You could join the 'whitelist' club and enjoy the apps in retail mode, and just use the Series X for everything.

14 hours ago, Stejay said:

How do I FTP to the Series X in MacOS?  I have Durango running on the console, and I've downloaded FileZilla and put the Xbox IP address, but it simply won't connect.  This is in whitelisted retail mode.xbox.thumb.jpg.72f7f208a26599da7fb85c3d57294f27.jpgfilezilla.thumb.jpg.c47ee3a5e6ab7e1dba7e576cb1eb6d2c.jpg

I'm having exactly the same issue with Linux. From googling about, it would appear that the answer is to use Windows. Couldn't get anything in Linux to connect at all. Tried everything. I just boot into Win10 whenever I need to FTP anything across. I have a use for Windows now, at least. 

9 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

I'm having exactly the same issue with Linux. From googling about, it would appear that the answer is to use Windows. Couldn't get anything in Linux to connect at all. Tried everything. I just boot into Win10 whenever I need to FTP anything across. I have a use for Windows now, at least. 

Cheers.  I don't own a Windows machine, but I do have a only twice used before Windows partition on one of my Macs, so I'll give it a go.

On 26/09/2021 at 08:48, dumpster said:

I've tried a couple of different PS2 games (Gradius V and GT3) and they both cause it to crash.

What BIOS do you use?

On 28/09/2021 at 17:30, dumpster said:

There's a big bios pack that was linked in the discord chat.  I think it was 

https://archive.org/details/system_20190220

Broken record time, but do you know which bios you're using? I've got a load in my system folder, on loading up the core, it says it's the PAL 1.6, but I still can't get anything at all to work. PAL or otherwise. 

I've updated the core to the latest version I could find and tried about half a dozen games, to no avail. 

2 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Broken record time, but do you know which bios you're using? I've got a load in my system folder, on loading up the core, it says it's the PAL 1.6, but I still can't get anything at all to work. PAL or otherwise. 

I've updated the core to the latest version I could find and tried about half a dozen games, to no avail. 

I'll have a look when I get home.  I followed the guide that dowloaded a folder called system, and then from there there was all sorts of stuff.  I went into Retroarch settings and looked at the default folders.  There was a folder structure listed in the Q drive and at the end of that was a folder called system.  

Navigated to the system folder on the Q drive on my FTP program and didn't go inside it.  Then I dragged across the downloaded system folder into the same place, so the computer would put all the weird filed and folders in the same structure into that system folder. 

That's why I don't know what bios I'm using, because that pack came with a million bios for a million consoles.  

I don't think I'm manually choosing a bios anyway, the core defaults to the right one based on the filenames.  Maybe you have not put them in the correct directory? Like, maybe you dragged your system directory into the System folder, creating a whole new one.  Does that make sense? If you get stuck, pm me, we can do it over WhatsApp or something, I can send you screenshots of the file structure. 

• dumpster changed the title to Turn your Xbox Series S or X into a fantastic emulation machine, using Dev Mode