Jump to content

Turn your Xbox Series S, X or Xbox One into a fantastic emulation machine.


Recommended Posts

 

The Xbox One has had homebrew software available for years using Microsoft's Dev Mode options. You pay for the Dev Mode app and it allows you to convert your console into a Dev console. Once you've done this you can't run any retail games until you change the console back, but you can change between the modes as often as you like. In Dev Mode you can use Windows UWP apps, and it's been brilliant in allowing a homebrew scene to exist without the threat of piracy spoiling things. And because all of this exists already, backward compatiblity on the new Xbox series consoles  does it all the same  only much better.  The Xbox One ran  everything up to and including the 64 bit era,  but the sheer amount of horsepower in a Series S or X is likely to allow emulation of consoles such as the Wii U, PlayStation 2 and Nintendo Switch is very likely. It's interesting that the PlayStation 5 does not offer backward compatibility with the PlayStation 2 but Dev mode on an Xbox One S series does. 

 

The video linked above gives a much better explanation than I can but it sounds a really exciting era for emulators on a very very powerful home console.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

How do you go about getting a retail version of retroarch though?  That's the bit that confuses me.

And then, even if you can get it installed, how do you go about getting your ROMs onto the machine for retroarch to play?

 

(I understand how it all works in developer mode - it's just the retail version I'm unsure of).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I can exclusively confirm that I am in the process of turning my XBox Series S into a fantastic emulation machine. I followed this to go to the right page to make the developer account, as it's not really explained in the MVG videos (going to the Developer Centre as suggested by just googling it asks you to bang in a work e-mail address, which is no bueno when you can just have the account under the same e-mail as the Live account). Current UK price for the account is £14.40 from what they took from my card.

The biggest issue at the moment is that the Dev Mode isn't very helpful unless you left the console on it 24/7 - booting in and out of Dev Mode takes about four minutes each way, and every time you leave Dev Mode there's a small checkbox that you need to untick, otherwise it clears all your sideloaded apps (aka. it nukes your Retroarch and any games you kept on the internal storage).

Otherwise, it's a great way to play Plumbers Don't Wear Ties in 2021. I've yet to mess around with PCSX2 as a Retroarch Core, as I'm only really used to the full program, but it'll be interesting to see how it deals with all the different graphics/audio plugins that the original program had - if at all, which is the more pressing concern. PCSX2 only really worked with everything because everything had a set combination of plugins and hacks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I have set this up yesterday via a dev account - and is working well.  I want to move my rom  collection of the usb drive im using  as stuff like Dreamcast / ps1 etc only seem to run of the internal drive - but there appears to be a size limit on the downloads folder on the internal (think it’s 20 gig). Is there anyway to get round this? (I’ve changed the dev allocation size to 60 gig in the options but this doesn’t seem to have any effect on the download folder size limit  within retroarch).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2021 at 12:47, Siri said:

, and every time you leave Dev Mode there's a small checkbox that you need to untick, otherwise it clears all your sideloaded apps (aka. it nukes your Retroarch and any games you kept on the internal storage).

Yeah I spent like 40 mins sorting it out this morning and then didn’t notice that fucking check box until I’d already tapped A. :doh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2021 at 09:55, papalazarou said:

I have set this up yesterday via a dev account - and is working well.  I want to move my rom  collection of the usb drive im using  as stuff like Dreamcast / ps1 etc only seem to run of the internal drive - but there appears to be a size limit on the downloads folder on the internal (think it’s 20 gig). Is there anyway to get round this? (I’ve changed the dev allocation size to 60 gig in the options but this doesn’t seem to have any effect on the download folder size limit  within retroarch).

 

I'm not entirely sure - when I had problems with the storage, it was because I couldn't find any of my folders that I set up via FTP at all.

 

I was able to fix it with changing Retroarch in the Dev Home to a Game instead of a UWP App (press select on the app from Dev Home and then settings, I think). I'm not entirely sure if it will help with your problem, though - I'm trying to keep as few things as possible on the drive due to it being a Series S and/or forgetting to untick the box on switching over!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Siri said:

 

I'm not entirely sure - when I had problems with the storage, it was because I couldn't find any of my folders that I set up via FTP at all.

 

I was able to fix it with changing Retroarch in the Dev Home to a Game instead of a UWP App (press select on the app from Dev Home and then settings, I think). I'm not entirely sure if it will help with your problem, though - I'm trying to keep as few things as possible on the drive due to it being a Series S and/or forgetting to untick the box on switching over!

Thanks sussed it out after changing the dev storage size,  once that’s done put the games into the windows apps folder - though for disc based games such as ps1 etc then still need to go into the retroarch systems folder which is a pain as there seems to be a 20 gig limit in there.
 

Ah well set up - every 8bit to 64bit sega and Nintendo game plus handfuls of mame , wii, dreamcast, GameCube , ps1 and 2 games as well as the full Amiga rom collection all working great (using up 60 gig of internal storage)

 

** update and now my emulation dream machine is complete I’ve added the completed zx spectrum rom collection to it 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question.

 

I've got a  Series X and I picked up a Series S before Christmas.

 

If I intend to use the Series S as ONLY an emulation machine, do I need to worry about ticking this box or can I shut it down and turn it on and leave everything intact, in other words, I will be leaving it in Dev mode all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AceGrace said:

Quick question.

 

I've got a  Series X and I picked up a Series S before Christmas.

 

If I intend to use the Series S as ONLY an emulation machine, do I need to worry about ticking this box or can I shut it down and turn it on and leave everything intact, in other words, I will be leaving it in Dev mode all the time.


No need to worry at all in that case - if you shut down in Dev Mode, it boots up in Dev Mode.

As for Xenia - I personally haven't seen a UWP version of it laying around, and the original developers don't really have a plan for it if the Series S' Dev Mode doesn't have certain GPU instructions which are currently missing from it. So, not likely a short-term thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, AceGrace said:

Quick question.

 

I've got a  Series X and I picked up a Series S before Christmas.

 

If I intend to use the Series S as ONLY an emulation machine, do I need to worry about ticking this box or can I shut it down and turn it on and leave everything intact, in other words, I will be leaving it in Dev mode all the time.

yeah you can leave it in dev mode for as long as you want - it doesnt revert back when you shut down etc.. only when you  go and select it to revert back

Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone have any luck with Saturn games - when i fire them up i just get a black screen (tried changing video input no joy) not getting any errors about missing bios etc...  everything else runs great - even added some old dos games last night (xwing and tie fighter!!) 

 

update...  

 

got Saturn to work flawlessly even though I had the bios turned out they weren’t the correct ones needed - been enjoying the hell out of nights again 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.