Good Biscuit Bad Biscuit

If crisps are worthy of their own thread then surely biscuits are too.

Inspired to start this by the arrival this week in my Ocado order of a pack of Xmas pudding chocolate digestives, they're excellent, lightly spiced in that xmas pudding way without dominating what makes a digestive brilliant in the first place.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/21/mcvities-release-gingerbread-christmas-pudding-digestives-next-month-13157724/

christmas-bccf.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&

I don't suspect we need pages recommending Jaffa Cakes, or the endless debate about are they cakes or biscuits (they're cakes, its the tax law) - though it is worth pointing out the little kids lunchbox packs where you get 3 full sized ones wrapped up, thus preventing you eating a whole packet in one go.

Currently I'm getting through far too many packs of Aldi's fake chocolate hob nobs and recently I polished off a pack of their fake Leibniz which has returned a joy to my life which I had denied myself since the owner of Bahlsen outed themselves as a nazi.

Don't Fox's make most of the M&S biscuits for them ? 

Shame on those xmas pudding ones being out @The Fox, I'm half a pack down already this morning and they're delicious. I just tried to order more and out for me too, but the gingerbread ones are in so will give them a go.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Currently I'm getting through far too many packs of Aldi's fake chocolate hob nobs... snip

I'm the same but with Lidl's version -Chocolate Oaties, lovely to dunk in a cup of tea (or a glass of nice cold milk). Great value at about 30p a packet.

Their plain, (as in no choc coating) Oaties are very nice also. But do clog up the teeth with oatflakes a bit.

I prefer both of these to the much more expensive McVities versions. 

I don't often buy biscuits because it's one of the few things I can't be trusted with. The last time I bought some several months ago it was a packet of Garibaldi. As I was walking home I took a whole sheet of 4 connected biccies from the pack and scoffed it like one giant one. I enjoyed it so much I then did it again with the second layer. Half a pack gone in about 5 minutes.

However, I saw these in the Sainsbury's I work in a few days ago and thought they sounded scrummy, so decided to get a pack to (try to) save for Christmas. They'd sold out the first 2 days before I finished work, and we had no new stock in today. Next time I see them before the store opens I'll hide a pack behind something unpopular to be on the safe side...

_mp300x300.jpg.467041b5c99362e682ca1875110c850a.jpg

20 hours ago, multi said:

Not sure if we're allowed savory bicscuits (aka crackers)but these Carr's jobs are outstanding, especially buttered with sliced cheese and a pickled onion on top (mustard and black pepper optional)

I love those Carr's biscuits too, but find they're a bit much with cheese as the biscuit itself tastes so good - with a nice cheese/chutney I prefer a plain biscuit like a digestive or cream cracker. Those Carr's with thick salted butter though are delicious.

These sourdough ones are good too for complimenting but not dominating the cheese.

Crackers-Original-105g-scaled-e160491672

The Peter's Yard ones are really good. The first time I tried one I was genuinely surprised by quite how nice they are, because they look so basic. Those with just some good strong cheddar on is my idea of snack heaven.

This is my thread, I love biscuits.

All time favourite is McVicties dark digestive, followed by up by Hob Knobs and Rich Tea. All classics but digestives make me just think of home.

These are my idea of a treat, or a box of shortbread.

image.thumb.jpeg.ab5fa865d76dd66c17a59a7a46615407.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.daa58f7eae9fdfc43afd4c66254edefa.jpeg

Best Lidl biscuit goes too

image.jpeg.aef0a917e3d4e459142bb94bf23bcdb8.jpeg

I’ve also been introduced to Croatian biscuits. Napolitanke are wafers really but a nice lighter alternative. 

image.png.b0c1540aee1b40d6f28f47118fc9338c.png
Domacica can seem stale but are for dunking in milk, they can absorb a lot while staying held together by the chocolate.

image.thumb.jpeg.f0331db277046f9043f4119c1887e077.jpeg

I find that some cookies can be rank and taste of just sugar and oil, but these are good.

image.jpeg.84ed441645a583a2765b88116ab06df9.jpeg

Also a fan of Carrs with butter, and savoury biscuits.

I always think of Moores as 'holiday' biscuits because we used to only be able to get them as kids whilst down in the West Country on the annual family trip (and my mum filled the boot with loads of them when coming home), but they are now far more widely available in some supermarkets. They are all somehow impossibly crunchy, but not in a brittle ginger nut snap way, they are more crumbly crunchy and most of the range taste great, but butter crunch are the pinnacle.

grocery8.jpg

Talking of holiday biscuits a Cornish Fairing is also hard to beat as a tea dunker - though I have a very specific dunking technique where the biscuit doesn't go in the cup, but I take a bite then a swig of tea, its a better way to get the same effect with no cup soggy mess at the end. I like to keep these special by only eating them whilst in Cornwall, or at a push Devon.

70_2.jpg

Delighted with my Ocado biscuits this morning, 2 packs more of the xmas pudding digestives and some of the gingerbread ones too.

These got tried first though, they taste exactly how a mash-up of Leibniz Baileys biscuits should, there is a thin layer of Baileys goo in the middle which is quite punchy and you can taste the booze - lovely biscuit.

300x300.jpg

Do the obnoxious huge soft-baked cookies that come in small bags of five count?

Pre-lockdown, people at work would go to a nearby Waitrose (yeah, I know) to buy cakes and biscuits (for birthdays etc), and they had white belgian chocolate/cranberry or dark/white belgian chocolate flavoured cookies that came in packs of 5. They never lasted long but they were probably too indulgent to count as "biscuits"... :P 

On 24/11/2020 at 14:24, The Fox said:

Just don't bother with the cherry bakewell ones. Vile.

The problem with these - I'm mid way through a pack - is that the bakewell flavour is just so slight it only serves to ruin the delicious simplicity of one of life's great pleasures, the milk chocolate digestive.  They need to go big with the flavour shaker or just not bother at all.

On 24/11/2020 at 08:12, Gotters said:

christmas-bccf.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&

so whilst the xmas pudding ones are brilliant the gingerbread disappoint - I do like quite a punchy ginger taste in gingerbread and these register about 1/10 in terms of additional ginger flavour to the base digestive. 

a choccie digestive is always great, the gingerbread ones though add literally nothing to the mix as you can barely register the ginger, unlike the xmas pud ones which are much more the sum of their parts.

• 1 month later...