PS5 Troubleshooting Thread

Harsin

PS5 Crashes (please describe in thread as well if possible)  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, yes, I know, yet another PS5 thread! But thought it would be worth having one as a lot of us are running into a lot of crashes and to see if there's any common themes to help us avoid problems.

This is supposed to be a thread for troubleshooting for console owners, so if you're currently mounting your mighty steed ready to ride to the defence of the console, or to attack because you pledged your fealty to another plastic box, please just take it to the Console Warz thread.

Useful if you could give a brief description, including game, as well as answering the poll.

So far I've had two nasty crashes.

Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War

Started the game and pressed X on the splash screen, then a system message popped up that it was downloading an update. Following that the screen froze and the controller became unresponsive, although the music kept playing. Eventually it went to a black screen and my speakers started giving out a garbled sound. I tried turning it off with the button on the console by holding it down for ages, with no response. Eventually I pulled the plug at the mains. I plugged it back in and it started up, got a tut tut message about now powering your console off properly and then it did a database repair and went back to dashboard.

Spider-Man Miles Morales

Just swinging around the city and the screen froze and the controller became unresponsive. Eventually the PS5 just shut down. Bit scary then as it wouldn't switch back on using the controller or the front button. Left it about 10 mins and it switched on via the front button. Then it got a message about repairing internal storage and it went to dash.

Some useful info.

How do I start my PlayStation in Safe Mode?

Turn off your console by pressing the power button. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.

Once the system is off, press and hold the power button again. Release it after you hear the second beep — one beep will sound when you first press, and another seven seconds later.

Connect the controller with the USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.

Rebuild Database
Scans the drive and creates a new database of all content on the system.  Select this option if you are experiencing issues such as game freezes or frame-rate drops.

I've had two soft crashes in Miles Morales, both recoverable without any rebooting. One just the game froze and a PS button back to the dashboard followed by closing the game was fine. One generated the "creating error report" screen and again, everything was fine after. I am led to believe there's been patches for Spider-Man Remastered and Miles specifically to stop them crashing less (and/or less seriously.)

I've mainly been turning the console off, but also some rest mode to let downloads/patches finish off. I do always Close the games though.

I know it's a PlayStation thread but we're all in this together - just FYI Cold War is causing SERIOUS issues on the Series X too.

Dropped frames, glitchy graphics (flashing sky, cycling between low quality and high quality graphics) and soft and hard crashes.

I've seen recommendations to turn ray tracing off, revert to 1080p Mode etc etc but nothing fixes it fully.

It's just really really broken - ever since that 14gb patch it seems.

I've only played for an hour or two each evening apart from the first night I got it, but no crashes here just yet. However, many seem to be Miles Morales related - I haven't played that yet but have just bought it, so will report back if that introduces any crashes.

I have, however, had an installed game (AC: Valhalla) disappear from the hard drive. I hadn't played it yet, if that makes any difference. I've since read that manually hitting 'copy' when installing a disc-based game can be a potential cause. I definitely did that for one of my two installed games, but I can't remember which. I have now reinstalled it the 'proper' way but will post again if it goes missing again.

I had it just completely black screen and lock up (not even power button worked, had to turn off at the plug) when loading Astro on Sunday. That’s the only issue I’ve had. 

Upon reboot it said ‘Repairing Console’ for about 30 secs then loaded and all was fine after that. 

Wut.thumb.png.0a8e3bc10c0827280d1ae5d59de65fe0.png

Love to see the challenges inherent with collecting and analysing feedback being highlighted in real-time.

(in general, if you're stuck using static survey design as with forum polls, it's best to put any 'exceptional' choices at the top of each list, as users will often answer generics that match their status before getting to the exception; though I will say that fall-off from 11 to 4 is surprising with such small selections to work with)

6 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Speaking for myself, I decided they were stupid options (no offence to Harsin) - the answer to "which power mode do you use" isn't "I haven't had any crashes"

Fair enough. I was put that as an option so we’d then be able to see the forum numbers on those options, just of the people who were having crashes to see if there were any obvious themes. But the non-crashers ignored the option anyway so I goofed.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Speaking for myself, I decided they were stupid options (no offence to Harsin) - the answer to "which power mode do you use" isn't "I haven't had any crashes"

I'm pretty sure the intention there was to gauge whether there was a relationship between power mode/external storage and whether a user has had crashes, so being able to flag up non-error-havers as distinct is important to said analysis.

(as much as that analysis would be much use in the first place - too small a sample plus ye olde post hoc ergo propter hoc in full effect, here)

Edit: what I'm saying is, somebody needs to commission a survey of 1,000+ ps5 adopters, with clear branching of crash y/n, disc/no-disc, external usb/no usb, rest mode/not rest mode etc.

So, you know, hop to it, somebody.

Two hard crashes for me so far.

One swinging through Spidey remastered, the other going through menu frontend mid DS.

Biggest issue for me has been trying to get PS4 games onto an external SSD - just not having it. Drive is disconnected now while awaiting firmware update

no niggles aside from this

Is there a known problem with the provided HDMI cable?

I get really bad colour banding with it, which is really noticeable in Astrobot. I get the same via receiver and direct to TV (B7). If I change to -2 in the settings it improves but still pretty bad.

Changing to another cable and its completely fine. HDTVTest seemed to say the cable they included was a good one, so wondering if I've somehow got a bad cable or its something else.

The only faulty 2 HDMI cables I have ever had have both come with Sony consoles, and they both looked like they'd come from a pound shop, so my suggestion would be to chuck it in the bin and forget about it if you've got one now working fine. The PS5 one looks a bit nicer but still pretty cheap and cheerful.