IGNORED

Gameshow discussion! (and, are they rigged?)

dumpster

1 hour ago, sir stiff_one said:

We had Going for Gold brought back for daytime tv with an interactive element,

*Sigh* I suppose it's up to me to say it this time...

DID YOU KNOW?

THE FUN FACT?

... That the Going for Gold theme was written by Hans Zimmer??? :o

Little bit of little-known trivia for you to impress your friends with there. :sherlock:

He was a very personable guy though, I knew him as a customer and he gave free tickets to all the staff. It wouldn't surprise me if they did switch the car and I'm sure that's a story he would be likely to tell for the comedy value. 

In terms of cheating, in the OP I'm asking if the games are rigged, but I'm thinking that Im more asking about producers keeping control rather than outright cheating. 

It seems like when you play a pub quiz machine in MAME using s cheat code.  The games appear to be a test of knowledge  and the gameplay suggests that a more knowledgeable player is going to have more chance of winning. But when you win a jackpot the next sessions become much more difficult and if you win again you find the game goes crazy, with mechanisms you never thought much about suddenly becoming barriers to winning.  

Maybe the questions in episodes 4,5 and 6 are more challenging when someone won the star prize in episodes 1, 2 and 3?  We will never know.

Just now, Nick R said:

*Sigh* I suppose it's up to me to say it this time...

DID YOU KNOW?

THE FUN FACT?

... That the Going for Gold theme was written by Hans Zimmer??? :o

Little bit of little-known trivia for you to impress your friends with there. :sherlock:

And that the Contestants from the U.K. had an obvious advantage: that all the questions were in English!

#SensibleChuckle

5 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Maybe I’m misremembering dumpsters version of the story? Maybe there’s a retelling where he expands on it, maybe elaborates, for comedic effect? 

who knows anymore?

Yes, it sounds like it’s bullshit that you made up.

Some celeb on twitter said their 2 minute final chase lasted 8 minutes because someone didn’t understand the rules.

I think it was Iain Lee.

And you know the final of ninja warrior UK? It’s filmed over two days, and individual Athletes runs of the two halves (if they make it that far) are stitched together in editing. To make it look seamless. Which is weird, given it’s supposed to be about endurance and everything.

also “there’s no way anyone could know that much about opera!” 

10 minutes ago, dumpster said:

He was a very personable guy though, I knew him as a customer and he gave free tickets to all the staff. It wouldn't surprise me if they did switch the car and I'm sure that's a story he would be likely to tell for the comedy value. 

It would surprise me. There were loads of times people didn’t win cars as the star prize, but comparatively so few times people did win the star prize out of the hundreds of episodes that they would have no motivation to do so. 

If anything, from the stories I’ve head from JB on the subject they were more often trying to give people prizes rather than take them away.

(the pub quiz thing... An example. 

Telly Addicts asked questions. Each correct answer gave you three seconds in the big end game. Some questions also came with bonus "telly test cards" attached.

In the end game it was matching pairs.  Turn over the cards, find all the pairs.  If you had won any test cards then the same number of pairs would be removed from the game for you.

So the twist was that if you got all 20 questions right you would have a full minute to do the matching pairs game.  There would be 20 pairs to find, less however many test cards you had.

The implication is that you can win by answering the most questions, but 60 seconds isn't long enough to turn over the cards one time, let alone find all the pairs.  

But! I'd the machine deems fit to give you 10 telly test cards , you would only need to find 10 pairs and this was doable.  So the game literally controls the payout like a fruit machine, becoming a machine where, whatever your TV trivia knowledge the machine cannot be beaten. If the machine chooses not to give you any test cards at "random", you can't win.

I thought there was some scandal about this because quiz machines were classed as SWP, "skill with prizes" and were controlled and taxed differently to AWP "amusements with prizes" which were all about the fun of gambling. But quiz machines were pretty much gambling, just gambling on whether it gave you test cards or not.  

Not revelant but interesting I think.

9 minutes ago, ZOK said:

It would surprise me. There were loads of times people didn’t win cars as the star prize, but comparatively so few times people did win the star prize out of the hundreds of episodes that they would have no motivation to do so. 

If anything, from the stories I’ve head from JB on the subject they were more often trying to give people prizes rather than take them away.

Whether it happened or not, it sounds like the sort of story JB might tell for amusment value. 

That Jim Bowen story is likely to be utter bollocks. I remember when he died I watched some of his standup on YouTube...he does tell some obviously made-up tale about some Irish contestants. I think it was racist. Certainly more racist than a kid dressed as a banana. 

Any quiz with prize money involved can't be rigged so individual win for editorial reasons, they can be in favor of the house but it has to be equally unfair for all the contestants.

Celebrity ones are made easier probably made easier for booking reasons.

On quiz machines, I remember playing Who wants to be a millionaire when it first came out. 

Was doing well, had lifelines in place was getting close to the jackpot. The machine rigged the clock so I couldn't press the answer fast enough. All pub gambling machines are rigged to hell and back. 

1 hour ago, kensei said:

On quiz machines, I remember playing Who wants to be a millionaire when it first came out. 

Was doing well, had lifelines in place was getting close to the jackpot. The machine rigged the clock so I couldn't press the answer fast enough. All pub gambling machines are rigged to hell and back. 

Even more so now they are Internet connected & updated from a central server. In the old days the pub/chain could flick the switches and change the payout rates. Now it’s all about getting people to put more money in.

2 hours ago, multi said:

Whoever mentioned Iain Lee on The Chase, this episode is actually on now on ITV*

*I only watch BBC4 myself, but my mum phoned me to say the Iain Lee episode of The Chase was on.

apparently they had to stop

filming *8 times* because Stanley Johnson...

The thing I always notice with The Chase (actually a lot of shows do it) is that the questions are often phrased in a way to give you a little extra nudge. You don't need to think about the meat of the question, just wait til it tells you the category of thing it's looking for, then say the most well-known example and you'll be right about 80% of the time. They're almost anti-trick questions. Sometimes it'll be a category with basically only one thing in it: "which Canadian rapper blah blah blah", "which hip-hop musical about the founding fathers etc etc etc"

My overriding memory of Bullseye was that the star prize was often useless to the winners, like it was a caravan or car if the contestants couldn’t drive, a load of garden furniture if they lived in a flat, or a speedboat if they lived nowhere near any decent bodies of water.

At least you could sell it and split the money though, and prizes in the UK are tax free. In the US, if you win more than $600, you’re hit with federal and state tax on the value of prizes you win, getting near 50% depending on what State you live in. Easier if it’s a cash prize, but if you win a car or a holiday of a lifetime you have to pay based on fair monetary value which seems pretty unfair.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxes/pay-taxes-game-show-winnings/

The taxes screwed up the Americans that cheated on the McDonalds Monopoly game, as seen in the documentary McMillions. The criminal gang stole the winning monopoly pieces and gave them to people on the understanding that all winnings would be split 50/50. The random lady they picked to claim the prize entered into this deal, netting her half of the million dollar prize. But the prize was taxed at 50% and paid out over 20 years. She was too scared to go back to the crime family and explain, so every month she got 1,666 dollars and had to split that with 75% going to the crime boss.  She came away with 416 dollars a month, yet was featured in all the publicity and advertising.  Police started to notice that McDonalds had a few million dollar winners that didn't change their lifestyle even a tiny amount and started to suspect foul play.

(Misremembered probably but that's the gist of it)

On 26/11/2020 at 09:40, sir stiff_one said:

Fun fact, I used to develop gameshow formats. We had Going for Gold brought back for daytime tv with an interactive element, and I had one idea made into a full pilot. The company I worked for owned most of the biggest game show formats around.

The most successful game shows historically tend to have really simple mechanics that all viewers can grasp - which are then brought to life through interaction with contestants. Excellent if they have a variable depth as it brings in viewers like us (typically above average intelligence). 

Something like Deal or no Deal works because they usually bring in people who are superstitious etc. Mechanically it’s an extremely boring concept.

I also advised on pitching question difficulty for e.g. interactive/viewer competitions. There is a reason they are so apparently easy, and it’s because you - who thinks the answer is too obvious - are not the target audience. You cannot have the risk of the viewer hesitating (the fear of getting it wrong and feeling stupid will also put them off entering) but you also should avoid patronising. It’s a surprisingly fine line. The difference in money generated when you pitch a question right vs let the production staff do it is immense.

Sir_Stiff, were you not also involved in some capacity in the late night ITV / Channel 5 phone-in games or am I misremembering them? Forget its name, sadly.

Something I truly fucking despised at the start but came to oddly love after a while - to the point that I kinda feel oddly nostalgic for them!