IGNORED

Gameshow discussion! (and, are they rigged?)

dumpster

My partner was watching The Wheel on BBC One last night. Put aside for a moment that it was hosted by Michael McIntyre and included a cast of deeply annoying people, it didn't even make sense as a quiz show. Barely any questions and the central gimmick of everyone being sat on a giant fairground waltzer added nothing. Stupid too was that the celebrities were supposed to help the contestant, but they'd clearly been briefed to only hover around a couple of answers. They had Suzie Dent on it who knows everything and even she wasn't any help. As a quiz it doesn't bare scrutiny, but as entertainment it is desperate. They should swap it with The Hit List which is great Saturday telly.

16 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

My partner was watching The Wheel on BBC One last night. Put aside for a moment that is was hosted by Michael McIntyre and included a cast of deeply annoying people, it didn't even make sense as a quick show. Barely any questions and the central gimmick of everyone being sat on a giant fairground waltzer added nothing. Stupid too was that the celebrities were supposed to help the contestant, but they'd clearly been briefed to only hover around a couple of answers. They had Suzie Dent on it who knows everything and even she wasn't any help. As a quiz it doesn't bare scrutiny, but as entertainment it is desperate. They should swap it with The Hit List which is great Saturday telly.

I'm not into music but I do like watching The Hit List with my girlfriend. Unlike most other quizzes the questions come thick and fast without all the blather in between.

6 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

Yeah I made the games for Quizmania.

Quizmania! That's the one!

Great job! Again I hated that at first but came around to oddly adoring the anything goes format.

There was a male presenter on it that was brilliant.

22 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Quizmania! That's the one!

Great job! Again I hated that at first but came around to oddly adoring the anything goes format.

There was a male presenter on it that was brilliant.

Greg?

I actually saw this clip live as it happened at Uni. Me and my mate literally laughed non stop for 5 minutes. The funniest thing I’ve ever seen on TV.

6 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

My partner was watching The Wheel on BBC One last night. Put aside for a moment that it was hosted by Michael McIntyre and included a cast of deeply annoying people, it didn't even make sense as a quiz show. Barely any questions and the central gimmick of everyone being sat on a giant fairground waltzer added nothing. Stupid too was that the celebrities were supposed to help the contestant, but they'd clearly been briefed to only hover around a couple of answers. They had Suzie Dent on it who knows everything and even she wasn't any help. As a quiz it doesn't bare scrutiny, but as entertainment it is desperate. They should swap it with The Hit List which is great Saturday telly.

My 8 year old loved it. The so long and tedious wheel spins were his fave bits.

Whatever happened all those phone shows? They were on virtually every channel late at night at one point. I’d heard the rumour that someone randomly won a jackpot & it bankrupted all of them as they were all owned by the same company, but I’m not sure there’s any truth in that. But they did all seem to disappear at the same time. 

On 29/11/2020 at 04:17, Jammy said:

My overriding memory of Bullseye was that the star prize was often useless to the winners, like it was a caravan or car if the contestants couldn’t drive, a load of garden furniture if they lived in a flat, or a speedboat if they lived nowhere near any decent bodies of water.

At least you could sell it and split the money though, and prizes in the UK are tax free. In the US, if you win more than $600, you’re hit with federal and state tax on the value of prizes you win, getting near 50% depending on what State you live in. Easier if it’s a cash prize, but if you win a car or a holiday of a lifetime you have to pay based on fair monetary value which seems pretty unfair.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxes/pay-taxes-game-show-winnings/

Like the Opera car “giveaway” where if you wanted to keep the car you were owing $7000 in tax.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2016/09/13/a-look-back-at-oprahs-ultimate-car-giveaway/

Ofcom kicked off because callers were not being put through to the studio while the hosts would be saying "where are all my callers?" Implying that you would get through if you called.  In reality there was very little chance you'd get through and Ofcom mandated that the show must have an on screen graphic that displayed how many calls were being received. I think that killed it off completely because suddenly you could see that 1000 people called in the last minute. 

Also there were widespread complaints about the answers. I saw one where you had to call in and guess a job. No-one got it and at the end of the show they revealed the answer was Ankle Beater. I googled it and there was no job called that.

Also I saw one on Sky many years back which had a picture with loads of boxes and lines and the vague question, "how many triangles?"  To be fair, the prize was crazy, something like 250K, but it went on for weeks and weeks.  Finally, over a period of 2 weeks or so the presenter started to drop clues, "it's higher than that", and if you watched religiously (I did) eventually you could pinpoint the answer down to 20 , 10, 5, 2 and finally someone won it by guessing the last possible answer it could have been. The game was literally "what number are we thinking of" and someone won on the last possible answer it could have been after the host ran out of possibilities. Surely a con. 

So I think eventually there was a backlash, people stopped playing and they were all lumped in together in the public consciousness as a scam. Quizmania and The Mint were the most watchable (I met Greg shopping in the Trafford Centre once) but there were loads of these channels and most were cheaply made and obviously a bit fly by night.

You can see it in action here  

Pick a boys name.  Bear in mind thousands of calls at £1.50 each are being received every minute.  There are a some names there you will guess but surely no-one is called Thurman? That's not a boys name.  Then after 2 hours and 34 minutes they give a clue and basically tell you "it's Thurman. Like Uma Thurman. Because , you know , we asked you for a boys name  but now we just need someone to ring in and say Thurman".  Then they don't actually take a call for nearly 15 minutes.  The phones must have been ringing off the hook.  

I remember Panorama or someone did an episode about them, in the era when the whole premium rate phone in show thing was falling apart through greed. People were ringing in for competitions on This Morning and not being entered into the competition, Blue Peter cheated, Ant and Dec apologised for something. It all.made so much money so quickly that it became a tawdry mess.

Ha I remember watching that at uni as well. I thought the presenters were heroes, real skill doing what they did. And yes we started out thinking "who actually rings in?!" to then doing it a couple times when drunk. 

We called him Greggles.

Also in this same video....  

High _______

People guess High noon, high five or whatever but the last answer for £2000 is HIGH RELIEF.

WHAT IS HIGH RELIEF?

Then in the last few minutes they give 250 quid away with unbelievably easy questions but don't take any calls for 4  minutes a time.  The caller wins the dictionary question and says they are going to use the money to pay their phone bill as it's taken them since 3am to get through (so nearly 2 hours).

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

Ha I remember watching that at uni as well. I thought the presenters were heroes, real skill doing what they did. And yes we started out thinking "who actually rings in?!" to then doing it a couple times when drunk. 

We called him Greggles.

He used to call himself Greggles didn’t he. He was good.

On 29/11/2020 at 04:17, Jammy said:

My overriding memory of Bullseye was that the star prize was often useless to the winners, like it was a caravan or car if the contestants couldn’t drive, a load of garden furniture if they lived in a flat, or a speedboat if they lived nowhere near any decent bodies of water.

Someone on my old road had a decaying speedboat on their drive that clearly hadn’t moved for decades. I always liked to imagine it was a Bullseye prize they just couldn’t bear to let go.

5 hours ago, dumpster said:

A lot of it is mentioned here. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiz_channel

Specifically "items you would find in a woman's handbag" were rawlplugs and a balaclava.  

I have the panorama episode somewhere, might see if I can upload it.

Please do, try mega.nz, or maybe start a new account for Google Drive

16 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Whatever happened all those phone shows? They were on virtually every channel late at night at one point. I’d heard the rumour that someone randomly won a jackpot & it bankrupted all of them as they were all owned by the same company, but I’m not sure there’s any truth in that. But they did all seem to disappear at the same time. 

Nah that’s not true. The main channels were under pressure to go more ‘highbrow’. They replaced QM’s ITV slot with another one that looked a bit more polished. But polish doesn’t earn money. There was a free view channel called ITV play that had a bunch of super low budget versions which died off. 

7 hours ago, dumpster said:

Ofcom kicked off because callers were not being put through to the studio while the hosts would be saying "where are all my callers?" Implying that you would get through if you called.  In reality there was very little chance you'd get through and Ofcom mandated that the show must have an on screen graphic that displayed how many calls were being received. I think that killed it off completely because suddenly you could see that 1000 people called in the last minute. 

Also there were widespread complaints about the answers. I saw one where you had to call in and guess a job. No-one got it and at the end of the show they revealed the answer was Ankle Beater. I googled it and there was no job called that.

Also I saw one on Sky many years back which had a picture with loads of boxes and lines and the vague question, "how many triangles?"  To be fair, the prize was crazy, something like 250K, but it went on for weeks and weeks.  Finally, over a period of 2 weeks or so the presenter started to drop clues, "it's higher than that", and if you watched religiously (I did) eventually you could pinpoint the answer down to 20 , 10, 5, 2 and finally someone won it by guessing the last possible answer it could have been. The game was literally "what number are we thinking of" and someone won on the last possible answer it could have been after the host ran out of possibilities. Surely a con. 

So I think eventually there was a backlash, people stopped playing and they were all lumped in together in the public consciousness as a scam. Quizmania and The Mint were the most watchable (I met Greg shopping in the Trafford Centre once) but there were loads of these channels and most were cheaply made and obviously a bit fly by night.

All of this is pretty much right - not sure myself about displaying call numbers. No point in the channels battling ofcom for little return. 

With these shows, the way to make make money was to have a bond of trust and have actually enjoyable games. Many channels missed that and dragged it down for all of them, it was inevitable. 

7 hours ago, dumpster said:

Also in this same video....  

High _______

People guess High noon, high five or whatever but the last answer for £2000 is HIGH RELIEF.

WHAT IS HIGH RELIEF?

Then in the last few minutes they give 250 quid away with unbelievably easy questions but don't take any calls for 4  minutes a time.  The caller wins the dictionary question and says they are going to use the money to pay their phone bill as it's taken them since 3am to get through (so nearly 2 hours).

High Relief:

a method of moulding, carving, or stamping in which the design stands out from the surface, to a greater ( high relief ) or lesser ( low relief ) extent

I probably made that game, or JonCybernet. He was good at them.

6 hours ago, dumpster said:

A lot of it is mentioned here. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiz_channel

Specifically "items you would find in a woman's handbag" were rawlplugs and a balaclava.  

I have the panorama episode somewhere, might see if I can upload it.

I know the story of that one too. 

So how it would go would be I would make the answers, take them to the producer and they’d say “really good but make them harder”, - this happened so predictably, I’d have the set I actually wanted to use already made, and then browse Rllmuk for a bit, show the ‘updated’ set and get them approved. 

On that game we went through a few handbags in the office (with permission I mean, we weren’t randomly rifling through them). And there was all sorts of shit. One lady said “you can have a rawlplug” as she did indeed have some loose ones knocking about in there. This sparked a rather heated discussion, with the producer insisting it was genius. I was so against the idea I wrote an email to the big bosses saying I wasn’t happy with it, wanted it changed, blah blah. Producer says ‘I’ll take full responsibility” etc, and it went out that night like that. There was fallout and I’m not happy I couldn’t get have put something relatively guessable in there (I mean come on there are a million things and most callers guessed the 5 most obvious ones). I think it was a tipping point, but only because it was on ITV. Other channels had been doing insanely shady shit for a while on Sky Channel 946 or whatever.