Gameshow discussion! (and, are they rigged?)

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

I watched that and looked at my iPad at the same time and didn't follow what their point was.  Like, in most game shows you can watch for 20 seconds and get the whole picture (like how the chase always has the current question on screen, a shot of the panel shows if anyone is out, what the prize fund is, etc). But with Winning Combination it wasn't obvious what the situation was or what they were aiming for without sitting and watching it properly, you know what I mean?

Yeah it took me a couple of watches to fully get what they were playing for but it's built on a fairly sound basis of quizzing which keeps my interest. I quite like the voting- down aspect in the bits where there's four of them competing. Plus Omid just carries a lot of it with his charm which keeps it ticking along. 

1 hour ago, elyuw said:

What’s the name of this documentary? It sounds interesting. 

Might be this

Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much.

But that's a different contestant to the one in the earlier YouTube video.  The famous clip is right at the end of the show when the contestant gets the showcase price exactly right and the host rolls his eyes because he thinks it's a set up or someone is cheating.  The host gets more suspicious as the show progresses but it's all above board, he's just a great player who studied. 

9 hours ago, Death's Head said:

So how about Omid Djalili's new effort, Winning Combination? I don't mind the format, it's got the right balance of gimmick-to-quizzing, and Omid himself is a top host. Certainly prefer it to Shane Ritchie's recent show. 

From the couple of episodes I have seen, it is very difficult to win. Omid is a fun host, but his question-reading skills need to improve - there’s a long pause after each answer that is costing the contestants a LOT of time.

On 29/11/2020 at 01:59, Made of Ghosts said:

The thing I always notice with The Chase (actually a lot of shows do it) is that the questions are often phrased in a way to give you a little extra nudge. You don't need to think about the meat of the question, just wait til it tells you the category of thing it's looking for, then say the most well-known example and you'll be right about 80% of the time. They're almost anti-trick questions. Sometimes it'll be a category with basically only one thing in it: "which Canadian rapper blah blah blah", "which hip-hop musical about the founding fathers etc etc etc"

Bit late to the party here, but basically yes - you could answer half the questions by simply cutting out all the extraneous detail. And I do, bellowing from my sofa...

"Which Tudor King..." HENRY THE 8TH!

"Which playwright...." SHAKESPEARE!

"Which dairy product..." CHEESE!

"Which animal is..." DOG!

I mean sure, every 1 time in ten they'll throw in a Henry the 7th, or a cat, but the rest of the time you've probably got it right, and if not you've moved quickly on.

I also get so frustrated when people won't/can't guess.

"Which month does blah event happen?"

"Pass"

You can't think of a month?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just caught the end of Christmas University Challenge. One question was something like: "Which fictional film character fought opponents including Mothra and King Ghidorah in films made between 1954 and 1992?"

After a few seconds, someone buzzed in and guessed:

Spoiler

"Lassie?"

:lol:

On 07/12/2020 at 10:04, Davros sock drawer said:

"Pass"

I think it was The Weakest Link where I once saw “In which World War blah blah blah?”, “Pass” :facepalm:

On 07/12/2020 at 10:04, Davros sock drawer said:

Bit late to the party here, but basically yes - you could answer half the questions by simply cutting out all the extraneous detail. And I do, bellowing from my sofa...

"Which Tudor King..." HENRY THE 8TH!

"Which playwright...." SHAKESPEARE!

"Which dairy product..." CHEESE!

"Which animal is..." DOG!

I mean sure, every 1 time in ten they'll throw in a Henry the 7th, or a cat, but the rest of the time you've probably got it right, and if not you've moved quickly on.

"Pass"

Time pressure does funny things to contestants. And even on this year’s Celebrity Chase, the Beast misread a question (thinking it said which of these is NOT in the 12 Days of Christmas).

But yes, if you are asked for a colour, sort of animal, king/queen or country you can make a guess even if you don’t know.

On 26/12/2020 at 21:09, Nick R said:

Just caught the end of Christmas University Challenge. One question was something like: "Which fictional film character fought opponents including Mothra and King Ghidorah in films made between 1954 and 1992?"

After a few seconds, someone buzzed in and guessed:

Reveal hidden contents

"Lassie?"

:lol:

here it is in all its glory: