IGNORED

Gameshow discussion! (and, are they rigged?)

dumpster

I remember one of the first times I saw somebody take a minus offer in The Chase (and he was player 4) and everybody gave him the evils and had a moan - but then he absolutely smashed the final round (I think he correctly answered about 75% of the questions) and they won. I think part of the appeal is seeing how the dynamic between the players works, because whilst it is a team game, people do seem to get a bit protective over the part of the pot they have contributed to.

• 1 month later...

Few new game shows on TV started last week:

• Unbeatable - 2:15pm weekdays on BBC1 - Jason Manford hosts a show where you have to pick the best answer out of a bunch. Sounds good in theory and has some fancy graphics and set, it's sadly deathly dull.
  • The Answer Trap - 3pm weekdays on Channel 4 - Two teams have to categorise answers. It's not amazing, and is very low-budget daytime-y, but is much more fun than Unbeatable.

• Tom Allen's Quizness - 8pm Friday on Channel 4 - a comedy oriented quiz. Haven't watched it yet, but I'm not hugely sold on a full hour of Tom Allen.

I've posted about it before but I'm still enjoying at_bash and royal_flush's Twitch streams where they run quiz shows via Twitch, with a lot of games being audience participation. at_bash does 8pm Wed/Fri and royal_flush does 8pm Sat/Tue, with royal_flush is running extra streams all next week if you want to have a look.

Answer Trap definitely has that easygoing feeling that it’s mostly an excuse for some friendly ordinary contestants to have a nice chat and a few laughs. Like The Generation Game. The format has play-along-at-home potential and random trivia drops too.

We're still enjoying The Wall, but the conceit at the end where the couple have to talk through the game and not let on what has actually happened is toe-curling. There's no payoff for the audience as you've already revealed whether the contract has been signed or not. I feel there must have been a more satisfying way to end the show than what they came up with.

They do it halfway through don't they? So in the final bit the question answerer will say whether they signed the contract or tore it up, then Danny does his confetti thing. By that point we and everyone else knows if that was a good decision or not. It's a bit weird as the only person in the dark is the one who was behind the wall, but we then have the bit where the ball dropper has to slow walk us through how the game went whilst keeping a straight face. I guess you still get the reveal element you'd hope for, but with an awkward epilogue before they celebrate/commiserate. You could tweak the game I suppose by removing the red balls they drop at the end you accumulated through wrong answers, and instead have a final ball that could fall into win or lose buckets – the amount of those determined by how well you answered – crucially that the dropper doesn't see. That way there's a reveal both players experience together. Would be pretty brutal but a fun watch.

From memory, the audience (and the wall player) know what was earned on the wall, and what the guarantee is once the correct answers adding to it are taken into account. The question player knows only what the pre-separation guarantee is, allied with a rough idea of whether they think they got most of the questions right or guessed.

The sequence of events on the TV is (again, from memory) that the wall player tells an overly-long story of how they went up and down and up on the wall, culminating in the reveal of how much was on the wall at the end. Then the question player emotionally regales us with how hard it was "in there" and then reveals whether they signed or not. I think that's the first time the audience and the wall player and Danny Dyer know the outcome of the show.

So you know what's at stake, but you don't know what they did until moment before Dyer does the confetti.

I just watched a clip for my sanity as your description sounded absolutely right and made me second guess myself, but yeah there is an odd bit with the wall player. Maybe there is no way of revealing it all at once within the current format, but I'd do the contract last as I think Danny would add some flair to that.

I love Tom Allen but he's at his best when he's being super bitchy and slightly angry.

8pm is too early to let him really do that.

An hour I also too long as others have said. You almost want it to be on for four nights with the fifth being the £25,000 final.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I was thinking about an episode of tipping point I watched some time ago and the two idiots who got to the end came out with one of these each:

Q - Which mountain is the highest point in Africa?

A - oh, hmm, I'm not sure. Think its Killamanjaro. But then again could be Mount Blanc. But that's in France. Oh I will go Mount Blanc. 

I felt like smashing my TV. Then we got....

Q- Also Known as The Rock, which actor starred in Baywatch, Jumanji and the Fast and Furious franchise?

Twat Contestant - well I think the surname is "The Rock - Hudson" something like that. I think it's Jeremy The Rock Hudson. 

I laughed my ass off. Then launched the TV out the back door. 

A few new game shows on TV start this week or next week:

• Moneyball. 6:30pm on Saturday on ITV. Hosted by Ian Wright. Started last Saturday, it's garish and crap with a boring gimmick.
  • The Tournament. 2:15pm weekdays starting Monday on BBC1. Eight player knockout quiz.
  • Moneybags. 3pm weekdays starting Monday on Channel 4. Hosted by Craig Charles. Promises big money prizes, but it's airing at 3pm on Channel 4.

Channel 5 have also been showing Eggheads at 6:30 daily in 4 vs 4. It's Eggheads.

On 02/11/2021 at 21:31, Halo said:

A few new game shows on TV start this week or next week:

• Moneyball. 6:30pm on Saturday on ITV. Hosted by Ian Wright. Started last Saturday, it's garish and crap with a boring gimmick.

They’ve got Lineker presenting one soon too haven’t they? Just need Alan Shearer next for the full MOTD set!

22 hours ago, ckny said:

They’ve got Lineker presenting one soon too haven’t they? Just need Alan Shearer next for the full MOTD set!

Completely forgot about this!

Sitting on a Fortune - 7:00pm on Sunday (tomorrow) on ITV. Hosted by Gary Linekar, it's quizzical chairs!