IGNORED

Gameshow discussion! (and, are they rigged?)

dumpster

My new love is The Tournament. Loads of questions and a fun format, but worth watching as they only seem to cast profoundly odd looking people, shoot them from unflattering angles and never give them a dab before so everyone looks like they're sweating like a pig. Alex Scott is great on it too as she's just a delight. 

• 2 weeks later...

New shows from the last week:

• I Literally Just Told You - Thursday 10pm on C4 - Comedic gameshow show from Jimmy Carr that's slightly less overtly comedic and more serious gameshow than advertised. The gimmick is that some of the questions are based around what happens on the show - but it's less gimmicky and obnoxious than it could be.
  • The Weakest Link - Saturday 6:25pm on BBC1 - Romesh Ranganathan hosts a celebrity reboot of the show.

• 3 weeks later...

The worst people on television are people who say “I would never go for the lower offer” or “I could never take a minus” on The Chase.

Also, I Literally Just Told You and The Weakest Link are probably the best two new game shows of the past year. ILJTY’s first episode wasn’t really representative of the other episodes of the show, which have been funnier, and The Weakest Link with a softer and less shticky host has refreshed the format.

Netflix are doing a new gameshow called Bullsh*t, hosted by Howie Mandel. Contestants make their way up a money ladder (unconfirmed, but possibly up to $1m) by answering questions, either correctly, or incorrectly but with good enough bullshit to convince people it's the correct answer. Should be coming in summer.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/bullsht-the-game-show-howie-mandel-netflix-1234904786/

See, I like the sound of that, but why do they have to use such a non family-friendly name for it (unless it is going to be full of adult content 'swearing', I suppose.) 

Man, I'm getting old and grumpy :D

Watched the new Ant & Dec one on ITV with an uncapped top prize.

First the format is a bit dull, it's not very dynamic (though easy to grasp after a few mins) with a really boring set and the numeric answers and lack of anything to break up the visuals meaning it's pretty tedious. Much like Millionaire though once the early questions are through the tension does ramp up quite nicely but it took over half the show to get there. 

The first couple had to be ringers - allegedly NHS staff living in rented accommodation take a wild flyer punt which could send them to zero from a guaranteed £100k, then when they go on to win £500k conveniently knowing the exact answer to the question they seemed about as happy as if they'd won a couple of value meals in McDs. They just seemed 'off' even behind the scenes as they walked off. I was more excited finding some lateral flow tests in the chemist last week at my local shops

I turned it off about halfway through. The format seemed so bland with some convuluted 'lifelines' thrown in just so they can make it look a bit different, which in turn made it feel more like an offshoot of Numberwang or Quizzlestick than anything. The show seemed more concerened with filming people reactions to things than having a compelling quiz format.

I'm not sure why ITV thought this was the show to hitch Ant & Dec to on a prime time Saturday Night (actually I do, there was an advert break every 10min), but I suspect they wont get their annual NTA awards from this.

• 2 months later...

Couple more started over the past two weeks:

• One and Six Zeroes - Sundays, 6pm on Channel 4 - hosted by Dara O Briain, it’s a trivia quiz where getting a question wrong decimates your answer by removing a zero. The mechanics of the game are fine and Dara is agreeable but sadly it’s a slow, boring slog.
  • Bridge of Lies - Weekdays 4:30pm on BBC1 - A quiz where players have to get across the floor within a time limit by selecting correct answers. Hosted by Ross Kemp. None of that sounds appealing but the twist is that it’s actually good, more than fills it’s time and is genuinely exciting. Recommended if you get the chance to catch it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New one we watched via Gogglebox on ITV called the 1% club.

So the good is the actual format, which is brilliant, it's a bit family fortunes in that the public get asked a load of questions which grades them into difficulty buckets (90% of people got this right) but the kicker is that it isn't general knowledge, they are self contained little puzzles which vary from wordplay to visual. It's brilliant as the person who has read the most encyclopaedias doesn't start with an advantage.

The audience/contestants starts at 100 strong and they select answers as it goes along, with them getting ko'd along the way as the questions get harder and harder.

The bad is the host, Lee Mack. I'm not a fan anyway but he's doing what appears a working man's club bit of crowd work turn and is utterly charmless, whist simultaneously coming across as a total thicko.

I'm quite good usually at quizzes on general knowledge but was overthinking this and would have gone out on first question if in the audience, I did redeem myself later though getting the question right only 5% of people do usually. It's quite a leveller in terms of not being general knowledge based.

Format - Brilliant

Host - Cunt