Edge 353: Bugsnax review (also PS5 cover feature)

2 minutes ago, Mike S said:

It's done very well given how uninspiringly poor it is.

I don't think it's poor at all. Everything about it is competent. But it's so by the numbers, maybe moreso than any other AC game before. It's like AC: Remix and very uninspired. Competent, but no more than that. IMHO.

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Do you like the series? I’m just wondering which one to play as they’re going quite cheap in the sales  (not the new one obviously).

Personally I loved Origins more than Odyssey but that's because I'm a sucker for ancient Egypt. Which setting do you prefer Ancient Egypt (Origins) or Ancient Greece (Odyssey)? You won't go wrong then. 

I can see where they’re coming from with the Astro score. The polish, overall charm and implementation of the controller features all deserve kudos, but the gameplay is pretty slight platforming by the numbers. I definitely had fun with it but a 7 is a good reflection of its quality. 

That 6 for Sackboy is surprisingly low given that the Media Molecule games all get 9s and 10s. Haven’t played it and was planning on getting it, but will read their review first now. Looking forward to playing Bugsnax though. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I don't think it's poor at all. Everything about it is competent. But it's so by the numbers, maybe moreso than any other AC game before. It's like AC: Remix and very uninspired. Competent, but no more than that. IMHO.

It looks pretty but that is about it but, really, I'd hope for something a bit more than 'competent' from such a big release. Maybe this level of mundane competency is about as far as they need to/can be bothered to go with the series though.

It's the distinct lack of any feedback in the combat that really ruined it for me. The thought of yet another raid or encounter with the wishy washy floaty non contact fighting was so awful that I gave up which, given how much potential there is for pillaging and scrapping, was more than a bit disappointing.

I'm only down the cost of one month's Ubisoft+ though which I stumped up in order to try both Valhalla and Watch Dogs. I feel pretty cheated even at that low entry price..

5 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Personally I loved Origins more than Odyssey but that's because I'm a sucker for ancient Egypt. Which setting do you prefer Ancient Egypt (Origins) or Ancient Greece (Odyssey)? You won't go wrong then. 

Thanks will go for Origins then.

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Do you like the series? I’m just wondering which one to play as they’re going quite cheap in the sales  (not the new one obviously).

To be fair, I'm not a huge fan but did gain enough enjoyment out of both Origin and Odyssey to justify picking them up in sales as one thing they do very well is create amazing looking, detailed, worlds. I can tolerate the bloated, repetitious, gameplay for enough hours as I explore the worlds.

I preferred Origins as Ancient Egypt was more interesting a setting for me. 

21 minutes ago, Mike S said:

It looks pretty but that is about it but, really, I'd hope for something a bit more than 'competent' from such a big release. Maybe this level of mundane competency is about as far as they need to/can be bothered to go with the series though.

It's the distinct lack of any feedback in the combat that really ruined it for me. The thought of yet another raid or encounter with the wishy washy floaty non contact fighting was so awful that I gave up which, given how much potential there is for pillaging and scrapping, was more than a bit disappointing.

The combat is definitely a weak point and does gradually drag it down over time. But I think they did enough with the exploration and structure of quests and side events to stand out above the usual open world formula. It's kind of the opposite of Ghost of Tsushima, which got the combat right but struggled to fill the world with interesting things to do or discover.

Variety is worth a lot with these bloated things, and there was enough in Valhalla to give me about 40 hours before the repetition to set in, which is pretty good. And for those happy to keep plugging away, there's tons more after that. I doubt I'd go as far as an 8/10, but certainly a 7.

21 minutes ago, Grobbelboy said:

That 6 for Sackboy is surprisingly low given that the Media Molecule games all get 9s and 10s. Haven’t played it and was planning on getting it, but will read their review first now. Looking forward to playing Bugsnax though. 

Don't think MM had anything to do with it - it's Sumo's work. Suppose it's a tick the box platformer. Surprised Knack with harptic feedback didn't make a show. I actually quite liked that when I finally got to play it. 

Launch games though.... Not what they once were I guess. Don't think PS consoles have never had strong launch games in terms of edge scores to be fair certainly no Edge 10s.

I guess at least Sony have some launch titles though.... :) 

5 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

It's kind of the opposite of Ghost of Tsushima, which got the combat right but struggled to fill the world with interesting things to do or discover.

Yeah, that's a great comparison as, whilst being a bit simplistic, the combat in Tsushima was tactile and rewarding which that made it compulsive enough for me to complete the game despite finding the world itself to be pretty vacant.  

In a never happening ideal world the combat of Tsushima added to AC would lift Valhalla immensely and bring a mechanic that, for me at least, would add some reason to push on. I just can't believe how much of a mess it currently is though which is why I'm genuinely surprised at the praise it has received. 

I haven’t played Astrobot, don’t own a PS5, but the one thing I’ve heard about it is its innovative use of the controller. Maybe it is a 7, but...

Meanwhile, Demon’s Souls remake gets a (review, why? and a) 9. 

Didn't Edge used to be all about innovation and originality and mark accordingly? To the frustration of many, but that was their thing. Clearly not anymore. 

Maybe people having to buy the mag rather than read it in WH Smith’s over the past year has made them complacent. 

This weird middle-aged male obsession with endlessly dull Souls games has clearly afflicted them too. 

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Why are they even bothering reviewing a freebie?

Because the purpose of media criticism is not solely to tell you what to spend your money on, particularly in an era where subscription services like Game Pass and Apple Arcade make such decisions moot.

10 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I haven’t played Astrobot, don’t own a PS5, but the one thing I’ve heard about it is its innovative use of the controller. Maybe it is a 7, but...

Meanwhile, Demon’s Souls remake gets a (review, why? and a) 9. 

Didn't Edge used to be all about innovation and originality and mark accordingly? To the frustration of many, but that was their thing. Clearly not anymore. 

Maybe people having to buy the mag rather than read it in WH Smith’s over the past year has made them complacent. 

This weird middle-aged male obsession with endlessly dull Souls games has clearly afflicted them too. 

To be fair if edge stuck to their (outside of Destiny) rules of not reviewing demos, remakes and DLC there wouldn’t be anything to review on the PS5 other than a couple of PS4 up res jobs so something had to give.

3 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Same question to you. 

I haven’t read Edge for years, maybe it’s different now, it used to be irritatingly pretentious about its love for the ‘new’ and borderline disdain for the old. That was the whole ‘Edge’ - on the edge. 

I can understand taking a look at the remake in the technological context of a new console launch but a whole new review of a game that was old fashioned when originally released (a large part of its appeal) seems odd for such a magazine. 

I get that Astrobot is more of a tech demo, and it probably is a 7, but all I hear is how well it works with the controller. 

I don’t care either way, I just think it’s odd that Edge of all places would fetishise a remake of an old game in the way that only crusty Souls fans can. (I liked Sekiro). 

8 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

To be fair if edge stuck to their (outside of Destiny) rules of not reviewing demos, remakes and DLC there wouldn’t be anything to review on the PS5 other than a couple of PS4 up res jobs so something had to give.

Or the Xbox Series X to be fair.... Quite a quiet winter really. Personally didn't think we needed new console hardware at all this year just Sony and MS had to release in the same window as nobody wanted to be last out of the gate. It is what it is I guess and mostly the same at launch for any new consoles. Although remember the 360 having a great launch feeling with plenty of titles to play (that was my last launch day console)

5 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I haven’t read Edge for years, maybe it’s different now, it used to be irritatingly pretentious about its love for the ‘new’ and borderline disdain for the old. That was the whole ‘Edge’ - on the edge. 

I can understand taking a look at the remake in the technological context of a new console launch but a whole new review of a game that was old fashioned when originally released (a large part of its appeal) seems odd for such a magazine. 

I get that Astrobot is more of a tech demo, and it probably is a 7, but all I hear is how well it works with the controller. 

I don’t care either way, I just think it’s odd that Edge of all places would fetishise a remake of an old game in the way that only crusty Souls fans can. (I liked Sekiro). 

I mean, DS will be played by many people who never played the original. It's the best next-gen game yet and despite being an 'old' game under the hood, also the most next-gen one. It would be very weird to not review it.

2 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I mean, DS will be played by many people who never played the original. It's the best next-gen game yet and despite being an 'old' game under the hood, also the most next-gen one. It would be very weird to not review it.

Let's face it many games feel "old under the hood" mechanics haven't changed that much. 

• Qazimod changed the title to Edge 353: Bugsnax review (also PS5 cover feature)