Japanese or Western games?

Japanese or Western games   

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, matt0 said:

There's no way Resident Evil doesn't owe a huge debt to Alone in the Dark

Not according to Mikami, it's a 3D iteration of a game made by his mentor, Professor F (Tokuro Fujiwara, the creator of Ghosts 'n Goblins).

Sweet Home for the FC, a film tie-in:

c9aleNi.jpg

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-creator-shinji-mikami-reflects-on-th/1100-6435918/

13 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Not according to Mikami, it's a 3D iteration of a game made by his mentor, Professor F (Tokuro Fujiwara, the creator of Ghosts 'n Goblins).

Sweet Home for the FC, a film tie-in:

c9aleNi.jpg

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-creator-shinji-mikami-reflects-on-th/1100-6435918/

I was surprised, as Mikami's usually quite open about his inspirations, but as it happens I'm going to assume you didn't read too far into that interview...

Mikami: At first, we were developing RE as a fully 3D game. But the graphics level that we were going for didn't get along so well with the original PlayStation's specs. It was looking like, if we didn't make a change somewhere, the project could end up on indefinite hold.

That was when we took a look at Alone in the Dark. The environments were pre-rendered, and the characters and such were in real-time 3D. It seemed like that approach would allow us to create the game that we wanted, but there were control issues, and the changed perspective had an effect on immersion, making the player feel a bit more detached. It took a little bit of time to get my feelings in order and make the call to change it

For me the industry in Japan today is a pale shadow of what it was back in the PS2 era. Back then my answer would have been Japan without question. But since a couple of generations ago the Japanese industry heavyweights leant so heavily into ‘mobage’ and rinsing money out of people, even the big 3 (Namco, Capcom, Konami) went doolally for milking their customers with micro transactions, pay-to-play and paywalled content, the heart of it all got lost. I heard that AC7 wasn’t going to be greenlit at all, the director had to fight hard for it - I expect they would have preferred him to make another AC:Infinity where you have to buy fuel to play it.

There are some exceptions (Fumito Ueda and From come to mind) but on the whole it’s the western studios that are paving the way now.

Historically, Japan, and for the bigger releases these days too. They're still doing more interesting things on the whole, perhaps because the budgets and sales expectations aren't quite so huge.

But most of the indie games I've got into in recent years have been western, and that's a big part of my gaming now.

Then again, three of my favourite indies in the last few years have been from Taiwan, so the rest of the world is doing OK too.