Death to 2020 - Brooker mockumentary on Netflix

Teaser trailer has released:

Synopsis:

2020: A year so [insert adjective of choice here], even the creators of Black Mirror couldn’t make it up… but that doesn’t mean they don’t have a little something to add. Death to 2020 is a comedy event that tells the story of the dreadful year that was — and perhaps still is? This landmark documentary-style special weaves together some of the world’s most (fictitious) renowned voices with real-life archival footage spanning the past 12 months.

Cast includes:

Hugh Grant, Samuel L. Jackson, Lisa Kudrow, Kumail Nanjiani, Tracey Ullman, Samson Kayo, Leslie Jones, Diane Morgan.

Is it just forum lore that he once posted on here? I'm sure it was maybe a one-off post correcting a probably massively libellous load of chuff someone had written though. And I guess at the time he was writing for PC Gamer and wasn't the internationally renowned sci-fi celebrity curmudgeon he is now. Still, not bad if true I suppose.

3 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Someone said he was rude at a party, he came back and said sorry he may have been shy or drunk. I think.

He was very rude to me when I worked in a call centre but to be fair he had been given a terrible experience with 7 other people before he got through to me.  But he was transferred to me cold and had been on for ages already.

I think the Brooker story was someone on here telling a story about CB allegedly threatening to thump them when they worked on a TV programme together, and Brooker registering to say it was absolute bollocks. That's it. It seemed like he was either vanity surfing (although I would imagine he would have had to go a long way into the Google results to find rllmuk), or someone who knows him pointed him towards it. Probably the latter, there are a few games journos on here who might know him from his PC Zone days.

10 minutes ago, K said:

I think the Brooker story was someone on here telling a story about CB allegedly threatening to thump them when they worked on a TV programme together, and Brooker registering to say it was absolute bollocks. That's it. It seemed like he was either vanity surfing (although I would imagine he would have had to go a long way into the Google results to find rllmuk), or someone who knows him pointed him towards it. Probably the latter, there are a few games journos on here who might know him from his PC Zone days.

I got the magazine wrong and the timings are bound to be out, but I'm glad the gist was broadly correct. I do worry that if there was a gun to my head right this second and I needed to remember my own mother's birthday to avert disaster I couldn't do it. Yet, I could probably give a decent account of several forum scandals that happened the best part of two decades ago.

Did anyone else ever hear that when Brooker was 8 or 9 he suffered a head injury and was in a coma until he was 13? I remember reading it on a fansite that hosted all his Horny Estelle comics when he nuked Superkaylo but I've never seen him mention it in any interviews.  I assume it was bollocks?

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

He was very rude to me when I worked in a call centre but to be fair he had been given a terrible experience with 7 other people before he got through to me.  But he was transferred to me cold and had been on for ages already.

Did you manage to finish him off? 

On 08/12/2020 at 15:09, Art Vandelay said:

I got the magazine wrong and the timings are bound to be out, but I'm glad the gist was broadly correct. I do worry that if there was a gun to my head right this second and I needed to remember my own mother's birthday to avert disaster I couldn't do it. Yet, I could probably give a decent account of several forum scandals that happened the best part of two decades ago.

Honestly, I forgot to pick my kids up from school a while back, but I can recall the intricacies of what mr_crazyface said to user123 in 2006 almost verbatim.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2020 at 16:19, Vimster said:

Uh-oh, saw Diane Morgan's name on there. Cunk alert. 

Fast forwarding is that little bit harder on Netflix too but fast forward it shall be.

The absolute worst 'comedy' character in recent years.

It looks interesting. I'll admit I'll miss the normal yearly Wipe things like having a swipe at Kay Burley (would have been just the right year for that), demolishing some annoying ads, Brooker walking through a bit of woodland. Always a tad worried when they have to keep one eye on the US market for these things. We'll see Sunday.

19 hours ago, merman said:

And you are wrong, Cunk is brilliant. In fact Cunk is better than Borat or Ali G.

She's really not. The whole joke with her and Shitpeas is that they're thick, and just in case you don't get it they speak with working class accents. That's it. Everyone they have on with Cunk is in on the joke.

The humour with Ali G and Borat came from the people in it not being in on the joke, and what their reactions to the characters revealed about them.