Death to 2020 - Brooker mockumentary on Netflix

Cunk is far better with language though than anything Sacha Baron Cohen has done. It's not funny because she's thick and speaks with a working class accent, it's the absurd thought process. 

I don't think everyone Cunk has interviewed has been in on the joke either, not intentionally. 

On 24/12/2020 at 12:06, Marlowe said:

She's really not. The whole joke with her and Shitpeas is that they're thick, and just in case you don't get it they speak with working class accents.

On 24/12/2020 at 12:20, Loik V credern said:

Cunk is far better with language though than anything Sacha Baron Cohen has done. It's not funny because she's thick and speaks with a working class accent...

Northern accent, surely?

It's very, very weird hearing what is very obviously -wipe style Brooker lines being said by Laurence Fishburne. It doesn't quite work.

The same for the show really. It's a weak '-wipe' show with a budget that hasn't got the bite of a normal episode. It's also extremely Americanised which again makes it a different thing in subtle ways.

It's not awful. It's just not as good as it could be. Also, if you want to end up in A&E, take a drink every time the talking head contributors are obviously reading lines from behind the camera.

I haven't read any reviews or this thread til now, but I'm only 10 minutes into this so far and I'm thinking about bailing already.

It's just not fucking funny. 

I'll keep on with it but fuck me it's been bad so far

26 minutes ago, multi said:

I haven't read any reviews or this thread til now, but I'm only 10 minutes into this so far and I'm thinking about bailing already.

It's just not fucking funny. 

I'll keep on with it but fuck me it's been bad so far

Nah, this isn't good, I'm giving up on it.

Big names are no replacement for genuine creativity or humour.

Not surprising this is America-centric. Black Mirror is really popular over there but I doubt many Americans have ever heard of Screen Wipe, and couldn’t spot Brooker in a line-up of one. Charlie’s got the Netflix dollar now, so is trying the formula with recognisable celebs.

Was on Warner Bros studio tour four years ago and the guide (a screenwriter/actor like everyone else) kept saying he wanted his new stuff to be like Black Mirror.

I think it falls down a bit on making it like a documentary style and using Fishburne. If it's not Charlie saying the lines, you lose a lot of the bile behind it and correct emphasis on words. You really had to listen to realise what was just said was funny.

But it was funny. I still had a good time with it but it just needed to be sped up with Brooker talking.