Sight & Sound's best blu ray/DVD releases 2020

Being locked down since the beginning of the year has taken a toll on me; I've become stupidly obsessed with fancy pants releases of films. FOMO is strong and this sort of article doesn't help:

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/best-blu-rays-dvds-2020?fbclid=IwAR3xa7l1lWgc9KJxZyI0n_yOSKyUXet5s0eDnWHN0qgJl0pZ_jAyAamy8e4

Anyone else gripped by the absolutely shocking wealth of content being released on disc by these heaven sent labels?

I was for a while. For a couple of years or so, maybe 2016 to somewhere in the midst of 2018, I became pretty locked into a collecting mentality of 'boutique' blu-rays. I had an extremely healthy collection of Arrow discs and box sets, and I actually collected *everything* that Indicator and Criterion UK put out, no matter what it was. Space quickly become an issue, plus the realisation that even though I was devouring the extras and getting my money's worth, most of the films I'd probably never watch again and they would simply sit in storage forever. So, I moved pretty much all of it on barring a few specific favourites. Eventually most of the Arrow stuff I replaced on iTunes during their frequent £2.99 sales... I guess this is more a tale of breaking free of that grip :lol:

Yes, I have to say, the more of these I get, the more I'm getting anxiety about it becoming a 'collection'. I'm not interested in sets of anything though; I'm literally buying stuff I want to see and I'm moving stuff on that I don't like. I really don't like the idea of going digital and I can't see me resisting stuff like the new Wong Kar-Wai restorations if they make it to a box set. I do get FOMO twinges though when limited edition releases become available only from people moving them on at a higher price.

I do think it's great that these labels are putting out these films, especially some of the more obscure stuff. 

I'm split on it. No doubt that some of these labels are surfacing some good films but I'm a lot more selective with what I choose to give shelf space to these days and I generally don't care about extras. I must've divested myself of a few hundred DVDs in the last decade and I'm not in a hurry to get back to where I was.

The releases are great if you're familiar with the films or the directors already and you can make an informed purchase. It can be a bit annoying to see films being pulled from streaming services when labels like Arrow decide to do an £18+ special edition. Sometimes you just want to rent a film for an afternoon, especially if you're curious about it and don't want to spend twice the price of a cinema ticket finding out if it's any good or not. (I don't download films illegally, so I appreciate that this is probably a minority view at this point in time.)

Tactics like the BFI discontinuing their Jarman box sets in favour of individual releases with slightly different extras also strike me as cynical and underhand. Exploiting FOMO is a bit shit really, and I'm reminded of the absolutely over the top collections of crap like special edition steelbook DVDs that I used to see my coworkers at HMV amassing. Some of that is undoubtedly landfill now.

Like @Sabreman, I’m think I’m out of the grip entirely. A while back I pirated what I could of my dvd / Blu-ray collection so I could get rid of the discs, that was about half of them. I’ve got about sixty or so left and I chucked the cases and stuck them in wallets.

Since doing that I’ve barely watched any of the ones on digital, let alone the wallets. There is too much stuff available to stream. I firmly intend to never buy any physical media again...but never say never I guess!

EDIT: In fact I did recently buy that Weeping Camel doc on dvd because it wasn’t streamable anywhere, but the dvd was like £2 so hey ho!

I bought the Play For Today set as soon as it was announced, even though I have most of the plays on it in dodgy YouTube rips. I'm hoping a Volume 2 will come out with the new transfer of Double Dare on it if nothing else. Indicator was my discovery of the year - I think I ended up with about five or six titles in the end, including a couple of late-period Dennis Potter films and the new transfer of Britannia Hospital.

I'm definitely getting lazier though; I rented Planes, Trains, and Automobiles over the weekend rather than fish the DVD out of the cupboard…

Little Monsters (under the bed monster films starring Fred Savage and Howie Mandel, which has been my favourite film for my entire life) finally got a Blu-ray release in 2020. Actual highlight of the year, nothing else has even come close.

Although it does have a glitch for one second, so that’s annoying. And it doesn’t have the advert sketch (call 1-900-89 Maurice!) from the VHS release, which was surprising, but it has other otherwise-unseen stuff so it’s still pretty top. :)

On 02/12/2020 at 01:01, Sabreman said:

I was for a while. For a couple of years or so, maybe 2016 to somewhere in the midst of 2018, I became pretty locked into a collecting mentality of 'boutique' blu-rays. I had an extremely healthy collection of Arrow discs and box sets, and I actually collected *everything* that Indicator and Criterion UK put out, no matter what it was. Space quickly become an issue, plus the realisation that even though I was devouring the extras and getting my money's worth, most of the films I'd probably never watch again and they would simply sit in storage forever. So, I moved pretty much all of it on barring a few specific favourites. Eventually most of the Arrow stuff I replaced on iTunes during their frequent £2.99 sales... I guess this is more a tale of breaking free of that grip :lol:

Hang on a second ...

IMG_9091.PNG.69dcc5a77d4f6fb7704ac5e8d92d9e5b.PNG

• 3 weeks later...