Call of the Sea - first person Myst-like adventure game, free on Game Pass on Xbox and PC

9 minutes ago, Majora said:

Oh man, I totally disagree!

Reveal hidden contents

Harry led her to the island specifically so she could understand her true purpose, she repeatedly said that she felt at peace there in a way she hadn't previously and going back to Harry would have felt like the basically the entire game was pointless. They went through all that just for her to go home and die slowly and painfully?

Agree too... That was my rationale too... Although probably going to go back and choose the other one too... :) 

31 minutes ago, Majora said:

Oh man, I totally disagree!

Hide contents

Harry led her to the island specifically so she could understand her true purpose, she repeatedly said that she felt at peace there in a way she hadn't previously and going back to Harry would have felt like the basically the entire game was pointless. They went through all that just for her to go home and die slowly and painfully?

Spoiler

It's the basic mermaid premise, right? She can't live out of the sea but is in love with a human, and has to choose.

The mermaid ending basically means her relationship with Harry was nice but in the grand scheme of things unimportant and you can't escape your fate, which is apparently to go off and be an immortal mermaid, who seems like a bit of a robot when connected to the hive mind. There's nothing really relatable in that.

The Harry ending is the ending to the love story told throughout the game. She puts it perfectly at the end - love stories don't end with a wedding, they end with a funeral. Life will have it's ups and downs, but certain relationships are worth sacrifice and ultimately all good things come to an end. That's miles more meaningful to me.

Spoiler

I think both endings work, although I don't know where you got the "robot" thing from.

I picked the "mermaid" ending too. Like others have said, returning would have made the journey feel a bit pointless, and would have been a slap in the face for Harry. What's more, she was happy with that life, while the alternative would have seen a painful death for herself to endure and for Harry to live with.

Spoiler

The robot thing comes from her voice being more monotone and a bit zombiefied when she’s in that mode, and that she completely forgets about Harry or what she’s trying to do for a section of the game.

Essentially the choice is humanity and love (with pain and death) or basically be an appendage of this elder god but be immortal. Given the ritual is what they did to the slaves, I’m not sure what the evidence for the latter being worthwhile are, other than the immortality bit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't like this, I thought the writing was poor- it was constant despite there being no need for narration, constantly told things the would be better just showing, and a lot didn't fit in with the setting ("you get me" doesn't come across as 1940s). And the puzzles were just busywork- the primary difficulty appears to come from players thinking are more involved than they actually are. Chapter 4s language puzzle, for example, has no need of any language thought at all, it's just symbol matching.

So a poor narrative game which felt a generation behind Edith Finch, and puzzles a generation behind The Witness.

Finished this yesterday - really enjoyed it.  The only "sag" was that puzzle in Chapter 4 where I had to look the solution up.  I've finally found an explanation but the lack of feedback when solving it was the killer.  Having said that, I'm not too patient or experienced with these types of puzzle games so I was quite pleased to have knocked the rest of it of with some experimentation and lateral thinking.

Liked the setting and I thought that visually and aurally they nailed the atmosphere.  Chapter 3 especially as you went around the boat.

Ending

Spoiler

I chose the "accept your fate" ending as well. It seemed the right thing to do, but either choice is going to be bittersweet.  Be glad it happened, not sad that it ended kind of thing.

Just finished this and am much more in agreement with @therearerules than the general consensus here. The narration was constant, without really telling me anything interesting at all, everything was so ponderous and the biggest star of the show - the island - just lacked any character for me at all. Really didn't enjoy it and it's not even on the same continent as something like Edith Finch. I thought it was quite a dull story told poorly, actually, and the initial set-up (which did sound interesting) was wasted.

As for the endings, I thought both worked, as @HarryBizzle says - perhaps I would've been pulled more towards one over the other had I felt anything for the characters though.

I’m on the same puzzle in chapter 4, I’ve looked the solution up on three different websites and even read an explanation of how you’re supposed to have figured it out, and I’m still completely mystified as to how any of the words, symbols, combined words, dial positions or numbers have any correlation with anything. I’m probably overthinking it. 

Edit: just read Fondue’s explanation and I still don’t get it. I’m pretty sharp with puzzle games in general so going to conclude this is a bad puzzle. 

• 2 weeks later...

Playing this on One S via GamePass and I'm really enjoying it. 

Like @Moz and @Plissken, I had to look up that puzzle in chapter 4. I get the principle of it but not how to make the four dials represent what I needed them to, if that makes sense. 

Also had a gamebreaking bug in chapter 4, so be careful everyone if you're still in an earlier part of the game. 

There's a puzzle involving a set of gears near a waterfall. In between the machine and the nearby tent, there's a bit of scenery you can get trapped behind (there's a lantern or something on the grass, and you can step over it from one direction but not the other). I had to restart the entire chapter because it had autosaved me after I was already trapped. Super frustrating. 

On the whole though, I think it's great. I've got a couple of chapters to go and will definitely see it through to the end. 

I got stuck on that puzzle too. I think, if you get stuck anywhere, it'll be there. It's just a badly explained puzzle, unfortunately.

I also looked up a guide for another puzzle later in the game. I knew what the theory was, but is was a multi-stage puzzle and there was an increasing number of different possible combinations of arranging stuff, and I couldn't be bothered to work it out, so I just cheated.

It was

Spoiler

the constellation puzzle in chapter 6

I've been back to a couple of chapters after finishing it to try to collect the few missing bits I hadn't found on my initial playthrough, but although I really enjoyed the game as I was playing through it first time, it really hasn't held my interest when revisiting chapters. I don't want to spoil the enjoyment I got, so I've decided to leave the chapter completion where it is, since it's only ever one journal entry and/or hidden item I'm missing, if anything.