Cyberpunk 2077 PC tech chat and tips

In anticipation of later and the majority of the forum getting annoyed by such delicious sexual words like DLSS (ooooooh) and RTX (aahhhhhhh) - especially as neither are anywhere to be found on AMD PC hardware/consoles I thought we can shoot all that shit in here

Gameready driver just came out: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/167419/en-us

Nvidia usually do settings articles for big new games so keep an eye out there eg

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/december-2020-rtx-dlss-game-update/

I'm personally going to aim to max everything out at 4k with DLSS and RTX to get to around 45-50fps (3080 FE and 8700k) if possible and let gsync do the rest but let's seeeee

16_9_EN_3-_02qt7qdkx3b50kqk.jpg

4 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

We're being segregated, aren't we.

Go walk around your bog standard high street in your sold gold jewel encrusted crown and your shiny silken pants and see how the common folk treat you.

Never understand why there are so many settings on PC games anyway. The algorithms that check your system out are pretty much spot on with autodetecting the best configuration these days. When using the PC to game on these days never touch the video menus etc. Guess its there for people who like to play with the settings rather than the game! :D  One thing that has got better with PCs over the years. More on the side of Plug 'n Play rather than Plug 'n Pray.... Still wondering whether to go for the PC or Console version of this. Although eventually it will play better on my console... just not on release :D Probably just wait for the NG console patch/upgrade to drop. Although not quite sure when that will be... hopefully first quarter '21 although I guess it depends how much bug squashing the team need to do.... Surely the assets are all there and its just a case of tweaking the settings for the NG consoles anyway (like you have in the PC settings). Who knows...

31 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Never understand why there are so many settings on PC games anyway. The algorithms that check your system out are pretty much spot on with autodetecting the best configuration these days. When using the PC to game on these days never touch the video menus etc. Guess its there for people who like to play with the settings rather than the game! :D  One thing that has got better with PCs over the years. More on the side of Plug 'n Play rather than Plug 'n Pray.... Still wondering whether to go for the PC or Console version of this. Although eventually it will play better on my console... just not on release :D 

What is it the auto detect targeting though, stable framerate, shinies or something in between?

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

Go walk around your bog standard high street in your sold gold jewel encrusted crown and your shiny silken pants and see how the common folk treat you.

As long as you also treat them like shit they'll probably vote for you.

I have a 3080 FE and a 3700X. I'm going all in MAX.

Although as a newbie to PC land, I have spent a while trying different settings in a few games. My main takeaway. I am blind. Literally can't see a fucking difference.

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Looking at how good shroud's stream looked with a lot of stuff on medium and low even, I reckon there's a lot of room for optimising settings for high frames. 

I fucking hope so, I'm going to be playing this on my potato i7 4770k and GTX970!  Cursed money and stock troubles mean I haven't been able to pick up a 3070 as hoped :(

1080p only though!

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Never understand why there are so many settings on PC games anyway. The algorithms that check your system out are pretty much spot on with autodetecting the best configuration these days. When using the PC to game on these days never touch the video menus etc. Guess its there for people who like to play with the settings rather than the game! :D  One thing that has got better with PCs over the years.

The 'best' configuration is still subjective though - people have different definitions of what looks good and counts as a playable framerate, and where the balance between the two should sit. As an example, I can't stand 60fps, it feels like playing in molasses (I suspect because I use M&K rather than a controller) so I aim for 80-90 at the expense of whatever flashy lighting and shadows I'm able to bin.

I'm looking forward to trying to get 90fps in Cyberpunk out of my i7 3770k and 1070  :lol:  I think maybe I'll play it in a 720p window with a load of traceroutes and pings running in command prompt windows around it, for the full cyberdeck aesthetic.

14 minutes ago, PK said:

The 'best' configuration is still subjective though - people have different definitions of what looks good and counts as a playable framerate, and where the balance between the two should sit. As an example, I can't stand 60fps, it feels like playing in molasses (I suspect because I use M&K rather than a controller) so I aim for 80-90 at the expense of whatever flashy lighting and shadows I'm able to bin.

I'm looking forward to trying to get 90fps in Cyberpunk out of my i7 3770k and 1070  :lol:  I think maybe I'll play it in a 720p window with a load of traceroutes and pings running in command prompt windows around it, for the full cyberdeck aesthetic.

True... Usually leave it to what the algorithm "thinks" is the best setting then tweak if necessary - just noticed these days don't seem to as much tweaking. Maybe I don't care as much as things mostly run well enough for me. My eyes can't see past 60fps anyway - think the more important bit is how fast the game responds to your input. 

So, important question. M&K or controller for this one? I'm in two minds, I haven't really built up a keyboard muscle memory yet, although I love the mouse for aiming. Lots of years of Playstation, Nintendo. Thinking I might try with M&K and start getting better with it though

25 minutes ago, robdood said:

I fucking hope so, I'm going to be playing this on my potato i7 4770k and GTX970!  Cursed money and stock troubles mean I haven't been able to pick up a 3070 as hoped :(

1080p only though!

I've got a "potato"* PC too - but Ryzen 5 (3600) and a GTX980Ti. Be interesting to get some feedback on how it plays on your PC. Same problem too with stock of new GPUs in the end gave it a miss and decided to look for a Series X to tie me over until PC stuff becomes more affordable again. I think I maybe gaming on the Series X for a while now.... :D 

* Out of interest wonder where the term "potato" PC came from.?! Heard it few times recently... I understand that it means "low end" but what is designated as "low end" these days. Looking at the specs for CP2077 my system exceeds the min specs quite comfortably. But min specs usually means "it just about runs" from my experience.

1 minute ago, spanx said:

So, important question. M&K or controller for this one? I'm in two minds, I haven't really built up a keyboard muscle memory yet, although I love the mouse for aiming. Lots of years of Playstation, Nintendo. Thinking I might try with M&K and start getting better with it though

I expect it depends on which control method the game is targeting... I expect consoles.

5 minutes ago, spanx said:

Depends if you're playing on a TV or monitor at a desk tbh

Pad for me is fine so I can sit back - I only use mouse/kb with online shooters myself 

I have the exact system for RT High (Ryzen 5 3600, 3070, 16GB RAM) and want to play this on my TV. Do you reckon I'll get prettier results on 1440p scaled by my 4K TV or dropping the quality/RT settings down and going for a DLSS 4K?

Just now, Pungee said:

I have the exact system for RT High (Ryzen 5 3600, 3070, 16GB RAM) and want to play this on my TV. Do you reckon I'll get prettier results on 1440p scaled by my 4K TV or dropping the quality/RT settings down and going for a DLSS 4K?

I think VRAM might be a potential issue at higher end settings at 4k - otherwise one of the more perf DLSS modes should get you the mileage you need to get away with 4k

7 minutes ago, spanx said:

In YongYea's review, he made some interesting comments about the M+K controls being not as good as he'd have liked, examples I can remember are:

- can't bind items to the number keys (1,2,3 used for weapons, but no option to use the rest of the numbers)

- no key to toggle walk, so you're always running

Seems weird.  Might be addressed before launch.  

Think I'll be playing on controller mainly.  Driving controls on keys suck bum.