It's so wrong but I just love it

Gotters

Having outed myself in the xmas thread for having a love for sainsbury's taste the difference chicken gravy granules it struck me as maybe worth a dedicated thread to make your food/drink confessions of the rubbish you prefer when you know there are far better alternatives out there.

I won't tell anybody that the granules taste better or defend them in any way, its just I love them and will choose to have them over any other chicken gravy I've ever tasted. I also won't say I only use them when time constrained or anything like that, they are just simply my favourite type of gravy and I've given in to my (selective lack of) tastebuds.

I don't generally regard myself as lower grade with food sourcing spices, equipment and recipes from all over to get authentic and delicious results, it's gravy that remains immune.

I also have to confess I'd far rather have a bag of curly wurly bits than any of that high end single estate 70% chocolate.

Come on, confess your food shame .......

On occasion I like to tap into my texture sense memory by having a sandwich that is literally white bread, butter and a plastic cheese slice.

It sticks to the roof of your mouth and everything.

Oh, and the teardrop-shaped Ye Olde Oak ham. A sandwich of that on brown with margarine takes me right back to my nan's as a bairn.

Speaking of sausages, I genuinely prefer Richmond's in my white bread sausage sarnie and with my mash and gravy.

I also get huge cravings for those awful  Red Pepperami sausage sticks, which I always give in to.

Kind of related, Sainsbury's Taste The Difference Cumberland sausages- the Peppery One make bloody lovely meatballs to have with pasta.

Original red Bisto is great. I customise it a bit depending on what I'm having. It's vegetarian and can be good for thickening sauces too. 

I often indulge my frequent cravings for pot noodles and super noodles. The Thai green curry pot noodle is legit amazing. 

I'm with you on granule gravy @Gotters but like @LeighCb it has to be Bisto for me. Just like Mum (or Dad in my case) makes it. Sure adding the juices of a roast into makes it even better, but for me gravy made from scratch is either just jus which is it it's own thing or just tastes of flour and does not have the beautiful texture and translucency that maize starch or whatever they use provides. Sure well done if can stir flour into butter and juices into that without lumps, but is it actually better? No, not for me anyway. I also like it thicker then is apparently right and proper, as that's how my Dad makes it because that's how his Mum made it, and my BF loves it as that's how his Mum makes it. Some things just have to be how they've always been done.

Also see stuffing I want PAXO, again can be improved upon with additions, but no I do not want your gourmet foraged chestnut hand ground sausage meat.

19 minutes ago, emerald fox said:

Also see stuffing I want PAXO, again can be improved upon with additions, but no I do not want your gourmet foraged chestnut hand ground sausage meat.

oh yes, bang on with Paxo. Stick all your poncey stuffing. 

the only concession to quality i make is their own suggestion on box to add butter !

Cheap hot dogs preferably Wikingers Hot Dogs 6+1 for a pound from your nearest bargain supermarket. Eaten cold straight out the jar and dipped in mustard. Paired with Salt and Vinegar Seabrooks for the true Poundland Charcuterie experience.

I didn't know granule gravy was a bad thing!

There are at least four different types in the cupboard as far as I can recall - beef, chicken, pork and a lamb and mint one. All are great..

The thought of gravy made of drained fat actually makes me feel a bit queasy.

6 hours ago, LeighCb said:

Original red Bisto is great. I customise it a bit depending on what I'm having. It's vegetarian and can be good for thickening sauces too. 

I often indulge my frequent cravings for pot noodles and super noodles. The Thai green curry pot noodle is legit amazing. 

The realisation that basic Red Bisto is vegetarian was an eye-opener for me. I still don't use it, but genuinely - that's fairly extraordinary. It's listed as Beef gravy when I pick it as an  online shopper, but it's absolutely not. And supermarket own brand replicas tend to be the same. 

I love a chow mein or thai green curry pot noodle. Any other flavour can do one, but those two rock.

My entry though is cup-a-soups. They're wretched. Nutritionless salt-filled awfulness. But I love them. The thing that makes it worse is that whilst I'm enjoying this awful soup-analogue, finding a dreadful fucking crouton or tiny noodle becomes like an extra guilty pleasure within the already guilty pleasure of the tawdry soup itself. Layers of miserable joy. An awful crouton in a piss-poor minestrone becomes a treat within a treat.

the nasty sausage sandwich definitely defies the lack of quality ingredients in a way the bacon sandwich can't (to my tastes).

thin white chemical filled heavily processed bread that you leave fingerprints in if you so much as lightly touch it, emulsified offal tubes full of connective tissue and mechanically reclaimed meat, it can even survive having non 'proper' branded sauces. 

I only draw the line with the butter, has to be butter and has to be decent, I won't touch it if margarine is present or some 'I can't believe its not butter' type spread.

I feel I ought to contribute given my posts about gravy! :lol:

I like Heineken despite also like lots of interesting and craft beers. I still turn up my nose at Carling drinkers though!

I love a dirty kebab. Homemade can be good as can a chicken tikka or lamb tikka on a naan but sometimes a doner is the only way to go. 

The thread on BIR is about the UK Indian restaurant style curry which I much prefer over many authentic dishes. 

Amidst all the other stuff here that I also love (there's a lot of cheap sausage sarnie fans here), I'll go for Bird's Custard. Double points if it's in the middle of a Bird's Trifle. Takes me right back to being a kid.

Real custard is great and everything but there's nothing quite like that weird pinky-yellow cornflour substance. Whisking the ever loving shit out of it for what seems like an eternity until it thickens adds a wonderful danger element too, as it'll burn and ruin a pan in a second if you look away from it.

20 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

I feel I ought to contribute given my posts about gravy! :lol:

I like Heineken despite also like lots of interesting and craft beers. I still turn up my nose at Carling drinkers though!

I love a dirty kebab. Homemade can be good as can a chicken tikka or lamb tikka on a naan but sometimes a doner is the only way to go. 

The thread on BIR is about the UK Indian restaurant style curry which I much prefer over many authentic dishes. 

Chicken doner kebabs with loads of salad, chilli sauce and burger is one of my favourite meals.

Also, I completely agree, I prefer BIR to 'authentic' curry. I think it's the addition of sugar that really makes the difference.

3 hours ago, stephen129 said:

Also, I completely agree, I prefer BIR to 'authentic' curry. I think it's the addition of sugar that really makes the difference.

I was going to say I don’t add sugar to mine, but I think some recipes do use sugar, just not the ones I cook a lot of. 

The Dishoom Ruby Murray has quite a bit of jaggery in it. 

33 minutes ago, milko said:

Paxo stuffing is a big one for me, definitely prefer that to the ‘good’ stuff. I always put it down to just being part of my upbringing but I learned to like plenty of other improvements so I dunno really. 

I have to emit I do like Paxo but I always jazz it up, I always add butter and roasted onion and garlic, up until my daughter became vegetarian I always added bacon. 

6 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

I was going to say I don’t add sugar to mine, but I think some recipes do use sugar, just not the ones I cook a lot of. 

The Dishoom Ruby Murray has quite a bit of jaggery in it. 

I have to emit I do like Paxo but I always jazz it up, I always add butter and roasted onion and garlic, up until my daughter became vegetarian I always added bacon. 

There's a fair bit of sugar in the onions and stuff in the base gravy.

When I'm feeling especially sorry for myself, nothing hits the spot like a plain Jane Chicago town pizza. Microwaved until it is a salty puddle of congealed slop barely held together by cardboard dough around the edges. Just like momma used to make.

I agree on Richmond sausages. They are absolute vile. This from a man who will happily eat a half dozen Ikea hotdogs on an average visit.

On 11/12/2020 at 19:35, Hawklord said:

Chicken & Mushroom Pot Noodle with extra soy sauce and a large dollop of salad cream

Salad cream? Do you stir it into the noodles or just leave a blob on top? 

Anyway, onion sandwiches. Loaf,cheaper the better, mayonnaise and raw onion. Oh baby. 

Also, loaf, ketchup, cheese. 

Would fishfingers be appropriate for this thread? The mass produced fish mince ones, not those la de da ones where it's something you'd recognise as a piece of fish coated in breadcrumb. 

13 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

When I'm feeling especially sorry for myself, nothing hits the spot like a plain Jane Chicago town pizza. Microwaved until it is a salty puddle of congealed slop barely held together by cardboard dough around the edges. Just like momma used to make.

13 hours ago, dizogg said:

Tell you what I fucking LOVE. Fray Bentos pies. So good.

these are exactly the type of irrational horrible food this thread needs, microwave pizza is such a sorry example of the form but I love that somebody likes it so much

likewise a pie in a tin with a half life of a radioactive molecule is a brilliant addition. 

My daughter nearly disowned me when she read the ingredient label on the suspiciously cheap co-op hotdogs I'd been passing around. Mmm it's got to be mechanically separated connective tissue, told her that's why I buy them as connective tissue is my favourite. Launched the fuckers in the bin, never to be seen again but they were tasty.

Pork scratchings though, now you're talking. Had a friend that claimed to have got a nipple in his bag once, lucky bastard.