Back 4 Blood - spiritual successor to L4D

SM47

I think Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 are as pure as co-op experiences get and there really hasn't been anything to beat them since the second one. I'm not going to pin hopes on this. I've been let down too many times. But if it keeps the weapon count low, has no fucking crafting system, and does away with any monetisation bullshit* it could be very good

EDIT: just checked the second video because it won't play on here, yeah that's Left 4 Dead 3. I hope the characters are as good as L4D. They were really something special. I still cry out "God damn it, Francis!" like Bill when something goes wrong in multiplayer. And any booster item in a game gets a shout of "Pills here!"

* Warner Brothers lol

Even Valve themselves couldn't quite recapture the magic of the original cast in the sequel so I'm not too concerned if this doesn't either. As long as this maintains the same degree of dependence upon your teammates and great level design of the originals I'm totally in.

• 2 months later...

I look ridiculously forward to this. As a predominantly single player game type of player, most of my fondest memories come from online multiplayer with Mukkers. I've never played Left 4 Dead, but it's impossible to not have at least heard of that game and how great it is/was.

Can we get a PS5 band together?

• 3 months later...

“Meet the cleaners”

introduces the player characters and some of the zombies...err sorry, the “ridden”. 

Looks like left 4 dead but more fast paced. There’s even a witch like character called “snitcher” that alerts other zombies if it sees you. There’s the fat explodey one, the jumpy one that climbs, one that ropes you in, a tanky one and so on. Really not pushing things too far out from the l4d formula. 

I’m not sure about this anymore now. It all seems a little too similar.  I really want this to be good but I suspect it may end up being largely ignored by a lot of people. Hope not. 

• 2 months later...

Well it runs just fine.  In fact it runs like a greased whippet!  Graphically it looks nice enough - it's essentially Left4Dead but with a major refresh.

I found the "extra" marketplace stuff and card unlocks a bit confusing.  There was lots of fluff 'in the way' -  I just wanted to get in a game and shoot some Zee's 

Characters models look good:

20210805224612_1.thumb.jpg.4d58c43aea9f68c0d5026de4d8ac17dc.jpg

By the end of a level everything is covered in blood splatter.  It's a bit too overdone if you ask me...

20210805224535_1.thumb.jpg.14503d6ca95eee6f580d1abf36c01c55.jpg

Want to play more!  In the pic above you can see Crossplay is working just fine, 2 PC players, one Xbox player and one Playstation player. :hug:

2 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Open to anyone? I thought it was only for pre orders?

Open to all 12th - 16th

Definitely going to check it out.

I really fancied this but all the card nonsense has soured me a bit. 

I don't know why every shooter needs to add in these convuluted systems these days. Just keep things simple. 

Day one on game pass so I will be playing it anyway and I might even end up liking the card system shenanigans. 

1 minute ago, iknowgungfu said:

What is the gameplay like? I loved L4D and L4D2 so would love for this to be a success. 

Well its pretty much a 1:1 copy of Left4Dead.  The specials zombies are super similar (spitter, exploder etc)  Instead  of  car alarms there are now flocks of birds that if you disturb them trigger a horde style rush   But generally, it plays identically.

It has end of level safe rooms and piles of "ammo here!" and bandages and pills for healing each other - just all lifted straight from Left4Dead.

But there is an extra layer of "copper coins" and supply points you can earn, that you can then spend on between run upgrades and effects cards.

I was expecting to love it as I too loved Left4Dead - but its a bit ho hum.  The levels have been nice so far - the super massive monster was a good encounter.  But the new card stuff I dont much care for, and the existing copied stuff feels like Ive done it all already.

I'm less excited for the full release than before I played it, put it that way...

I only played about 15 min but something felt off about the shooting compared to left4dead... and the level i played was just really short and lacking in atmosphere (again compared to l4d - to be fair, i guess the impact the original had is hard to top)