Back 4 Blood - spiritual successor to L4D

SM47

The impressions from the current test kinda match how I felt after playing the first test they did for it a while ago. I don't think you can underestimate just how much effect peak Valve had on making L4D what it was if you ever played through the commentary version of it they put out. The card system in this in particular seemed bloody awful and I think they're really hoping if that's the system they think will get people shelling out real money on micro transactions in the long term. There seems to be almost zero buzz about the game online, but hey it’s on GamePass so I'll play it when it comes out anyway.

I'm surprised by people's reactions. I've just played 4 hours straight, got to the second chapter and had a blast. Level design is decent, guns feel great, I love the PUBG-esque attachments and how they seriously affect handling. It all ran amazingly performance wise and seemed incredibly stable. Too many French fuckers with open mics though.

Spare Steam code: W3GQB-JMJR7-H7MH4

Pls say when used.

Doesn't help that there's currently a metric fuckton of L4D style games in development, so one will need to be really special to stand out from the pack (not entirely sure why a bunch of publishers simultaneously decided on similar projects, usually you get a big hit and then a bunch of copycats).

Reading elsewhere that most of the key L4D team stayed when with Valve when Turtle Rock decided to split. Anyone know if that's true? Would certainly explain Evolve.

Had a little go on this, it's okay but nothing special yet.

Feels slow paced and clunky.

Needs to be grittier, everything feels a bit flat and 'clean'.

The card system feels unnecessary, and everyone wastes time looking around for cash - neither add anything to the game.

There aren't enough zombies, and they seem very sedate.

Why are characters absolutely soaked in blood by the end of a round, yet there doesn't seem to be much coming out of the zombies (and how can they still see?!).

The maps are lacking character and life, and they're too small - open them up and make it interesting!

Why do we have to choose between a melee weapon and a pistol? I'd make sure I had both in a zombie apocalypse.

There's potential there, it's not far off a great game, but they haven't got much time left before launch to get it right.

I was sure I'd posted about this already on here, turned out it was in another thread. Thought I was going barmy!

"Feels like a more slow and steady left 4 dead.
Using the pistols to pick off the common infected with headshots felt fun, but at the minute it feels like the replay value might suffer.

Feels like it'll have "enter the gungeon"itis where you're encouraged to use your sub weapon and reserve ammo for the specials/bosses, playing cautiously and eventually that'll just stop being fun, especially for the early stages once you get more confident playing the game.

That sort of pace might be fun for a one and done campaign but not for a game where runs are so long and you're expected to replay again and again.

Ammo seems a lot more scarce and your teammates will gobble it up before you get a chance, it doesn't seem to be a shared pool that everyone gets to dip in.

The card system feels like it could be open to monetisation. The way they've priced this, and selling updates doesn't fill me with confidence.

For a one off payment of 15-25 quid, I'd have definitely given a slower, more tactical l4d but with some unfortunate modern AAA gaming cuntery sprinkled on top a chance, but at the minute, it doesn't quite seem worth the effort when l4d is pretty much the better game in every regard.

The engine feels like dogshit. Source engine feels so nippy and smooth by comparison. Not a fan of UE4, slowly staggering around with it's clogged pipes.

I think turtlerock selling evolve in chunks was a last ditch desperate scrabble to keep their baby alive, but WB seem intent on strangling this fucker at birth.

I'm reserving judgement for now. Need more time with it. Would love to hear what other people think."

I never did go back to it, there was nothing drawing me back. It sounds like the performance issues have been fixed, and it sounds like they've knocked the whole scarce ammo thing on the head, but from reading other people's impressions that it's left 4 dead but shitter, it doesn't seem to have been changed much.

Do keep reminding yourself this is from the team that brought you Evolve. And that was a complete mess from balancing issues to pre-order nonsense and monetization.

9 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I'm surprised by people's reactions. I've just played 4 hours straight, got to the second chapter and had a blast. Level design is decent, guns feel great, I love the PUBG-esque attachments and how they seriously affect handling. It all ran amazingly performance wise and seemed incredibly stable. Too many French fuckers with open mics though.

Spare Steam code: W3GQB-JMJR7-H7MH4

Pls say when used.

Just used this, thanks!

18 minutes ago, df0 said:

Do keep reminding yourself this is from the team that brought you Evolve. And that was a complete mess from balancing issues to pre-order nonsense and monetization.

I'd put internal organs on this part being Warners. Because that's what they do.

The problem with cards and attachments and currencies and in-level shops, beyond the obvious bloat, needless convolution and stench of monetisation opportunities of the entire system, is how much it slows down the game.

Every time you get to a safe room, instead of a brief respite where you catch your breath, the game grinds to a screeching halt while people faff about tinkering with their various load outs and buying items.

Left4Dead (and its sequel) was deceptively simple game, but it was obvious how much care went into things like pacing, environmental storytelling, clever level design and systems that encouraged people to play as a team - even if just hooking up with randoms. Even stuff like the clear and easily identifiable silhouettes of the special infected, just compare to the ones in this game.

But I think the most baffling thing is their decision not to have the versus campaign mode from L4D2, ie. the actual mode that gave that game incredible longevity. It still has a surprisingly large community today. The one in this is more akin to a horde mode where other players can spawn as special infected.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I'd put internal organs on this part being Warners. Because that's what they do.

Sure you’re right. And with Warners publishing and Turtle Rock developing I can’t be anything but very pessimistic and wary.

14 minutes ago, df0 said:

Sure you’re right. And with Warners publishing and Turtle Rock developing I can’t be anything but very pessimistic and wary.

I absolutely agree. There have been so many L4D clones that completely fail to capture what Valve managed twice that I can't get excited about this. It's for the best it's on Game Pass for me.

It's pretty good fun, the "shop slowing things down" argument could just as easily be made about Counterstrike, Valorant etc. Once people know the UI it'll speed right up. 

The card system is fine, they're perks.

It's come a long way since the alpha, so hopefully it'll be pretty tight by launch. 

My only bugbear with the L4D genre is that anything you add to L4D seems to take away from it, and I include L4D2 in that. The original was so simple and pure that it never really stood up to bearing a lot more mechanics and systems. I really liked Vermintide 2 though.

1 hour ago, Moz said:

It's pretty good fun, the "shop slowing things down" argument could just as easily be made about Counterstrike, Valorant etc. Once people know the UI it'll speed right up. 

The card system is fine, they're perks.

It's come a long way since the alpha, so hopefully it'll be pretty tight by launch. 

My only bugbear with the L4D genre is that anything you add to L4D seems to take away from it, and I include L4D in that. The original was so simple and pure that it never really stood up to bearing a lot more mechanics and systems. I really liked Vermintide 2 though.

Vermintide 2 is ace. You played it since the Chaos Wastes were added?

Something I loved from L4D2 was the tension from hearing a witch in the darkness but not knowing where it is, so we'd have to creep and then set up to kill it. And your plans going out the window when a jockey rode your mate off into the middle of a horde. And a tank, or even a charger, was like this big event.

I only got to play about 3 hours of this B4B beta (all co-op campaign), but I didn't get any of those feelings from L4D2, apart from one giant guy showing up, which was cool. Otherwise the specials just kind of mingle within the hordes. There's no "aha!" moment like with a smoker or jockey, it's just like "oh, there's one of those things there, better shoot that too."

I just want L4D2 but bigger and better. I hope it turns out to be that.

On 07/08/2021 at 20:43, moosegrinder said:

Vermintide 2 is ace. You played it since the Chaos Wastes were added?

No I don't think I ever bought any of the DLC. Is there a GOTY edition with everything included I should buy for tuppence?

14 minutes ago, Moz said:

No I don't think I ever bought any of the DLC. Is there a GOTY edition with everything included I should buy for tuppence?

The Chaos Wastes update was free, it's like a dungeon crawl rogue light semi randomised affair, probably to give longevity to the game once you've rinsed the campaign.

https://www.vermintide.com/chaoswastes 

No equivalent to Versus Campaign in L4D1/2 has really dampened my enthusiasm for this. Prior to the Game Pass announcement I was planning to buy this. If it were not coming to Game Pass I wouldn't be any more. Campaign mode was fun for a bit in L4D but it was versus mode that gave it real longevity. Tearing apart a human team at full health with a well orchestrated infected ambush was incredibly satisfying and something that took real knowledge of the maps and potential spawn points as well as great timing.

Without that I fear the fun is going to be rather short lived. Thank god for Game Pass eh? 

I'm not going to say I think the new Vs mode is going to be a good replacement for Campaign Vs from L4D- it just won't be nearly as fun, and honestly playing whole campaigns in Vs was always the best way to play L4D- but I'm still up for getting this at launch. It just scratches a particular itch.

That's almost the opposite experience all my friends had with L4D, the versus mode seemed like a broken afterthought, but we played AI campaigns for years.

3 hours ago, Moz said:

That's almost the opposite experience all my friends had with L4D, the versus mode seemed like a broken afterthought, but we played AI campaigns for years.

Same. Versus mode was a novelty I only bothered with a handful of times, the meat of the game was trying to complete each of the campaigns on higher difficulties. 

The problem with L4D versus is you’d get teams of other players who only ever played it, knew all the glitch spots and knew how to take your team apart the instance you left the safe room. Was no fun at all that way.

As for this, I have no interest in trying it again. How they didn’t just make L4d 2 and then make new levels ive no idea. It just doesn’t feel right. Aiming down sights slows the game down, there’s a huge lack of zombies and most of all there seems to be no game director. Like there’s never a rush to move and if you take your time that’s fine. The fact the level took 2 hours to complete was far too long as well.

I could keep going on, and I shall. The special infected never came with an introduction, they were just there. They blend in with the normal zombies far too much and having a weak point you have to hit isn’t fun, just frustrating. But I guess the biggest disappointment is the level design. In both L4D’s each level had a gimmick the level was themed around and whilst this had the boat sequence it was just dull and poorly explained with little in the way of urgency.

Its a shame as it’s all easy fixes with tweaking but I don’t think this is L4D in all but name and whilst I’ll probably play it on game pass I’d probably much prefer to play L4D again.