Back 4 Blood - spiritual successor to L4D

SM47

It's... alright? Everyone's kind of said it already but the special zombies just sort of feel plonked in there and invincible and it's just quite a good zombie shooter rather than the lightning in a bottle magic of the two Left 4 Dead games. The director felt like you were always on edge but that every mission was achievable, this basically feels a bit like that and then it chucks three or four special infected at you at once and it feels impossible. We played a campaign and died on the shipping yard and as we quit out a friend of mine said "ah but look, we've unlocked new cards! It'll be easier next time!" That's the very antithesis of what was great about the two Left 4 Dead games. It was never about levelling up or raising your stats or any of that shit. Every time you attempted something the odds were the same but it always played out differently and it was that that gave it the "right let's try again and see what happens" feel. If I'm playing a campaign for the first time knowing that the last few campaigns had to be played four our five times to get good enough cards then it just sucks all the fun and tension out of things. 

I hope they tweak and improve it by the time it comes out but that last point about the cards is a fairly fundamental part of how the game is built, so I think it may leave me wishing for a Left 4 Dead 3 rather than filling that gap itself. 

Had a go with two friends on friday night. If the beta is very close to the final game I'm not sure I'm going to spend a lot of time on this. What we played was good fun but the main issue I had with it was the maps we played, which seemed quite awfully designed. The pacing felt off with some hordes just kept going and going, depleting all ammo for all weapons in no time and suddenly there were large chunks of walking around while nothing happened. The game world kinde struck me as very empty and superficial and it seemed more like a 2004 game with souped up visuals than a 2021 game paying homage to a 2004 game. 

As this will be available on game pass I will no doubt give it another go when it's released but I'm far less enthusiastic about it now that I've sampled it. 

Im going to buy one of those new valve things and do exactly that! Ive only played l4d and never played l4d2

Recently i watched a 20 odd minute review of b4b that was interspersed with clips from l4d and l4d2 and honestly it was v hard to see any difference in the graphics 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the pay extra to play early garbage may backfire on them. Loads of people will be waiting for the GamePass version and if there's streams of people struggling to find teammates it won't do them any favours for a game that already has fairly tepid buzz.

Been watching some streams of this  by all accounts they’ve made an amazing successor. A lot of the beta problems have been addressed. 

The gun play just looks so satisfying, great it drops on game pass today. 

Seems to have captured the l4d atmosphere pretty well from my limited play this morning. Gunplay is quite satisfying, although aiming feels a bit stiff on controller. The guns are also rendered at a very low FOV so they take up too much of the screen for my tastes. 

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/back-4-blood?ref=hp

79 from 4 reviews. Ignore the user reviews, here is a 0 score copy and pasted verbatim:

This game felt like yooka laylee all over again it didn’t feel like it was professionals working on it felt like a fan project a 5 year old with a big budget made I was heavily disappointed with this awful excuse of a hoard shooter even a boring game like world war z feels better to play then this hunk of junk refunded day one after 6 hours of gameplay couldn’t stand this game not even fun with friends

This isn’t as good as L4D but it’s enjoyable enough brainless fun in its own right and it gets pretty tough quite early on. The card system seems essential to progressing. I’m having fun with it and it’s running very well on Series X for me.

15 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Not really but then I tend to turn the sensitivity way up for FPSs anyway. You fiddled with the deadzone settings?

I had a look but couldn't get it to where I liked it. I'll have a go in the hub later.

Got to say it's not made a good first impression. It's seems like they've gone "Y'know what would make L4D better? Mods! And attachments! And different ammo for weapons!" I'll put more time into it later, I don't want to write it off after like 20 minutes.

The specific gameplay concept of co-op zombie survival was already executed to absolute perfection in L4D and its sequel. Pretty much any addition would be superfluous and take away from the purity. What I’m trying to say is that we just need remasters of the Valve games instead of this shit.