Back 4 Blood - spiritual successor to L4D

SM47

My eyes started glazing over when it started talking about card decks, then I started playing and it seems specifically designed to make it an absolute chore to play with randoms. Not only are ammo supplies limited but they're specific to each weapon type too. You just know most games there's going to be someone hoovering up all the ammo whether they have the relevant gun or not and never share it.

Also all those stats and weapon attachments and zzzzzz. The pleasure of Left 4 Dead was in its simplicity. You'd find some general ammo, you'd decide whether you wanted a shotgun or an assault rifle and you'd move on. You didn't stand around poring over weapon stats or deciding which attachment to use or spending ages between each game building a card deck.

The special infected feel oddly indistinct too. I'm not sure I could tell you what differentiates a few of them at the moment whereas in Left 4 Dead it was immediately, incredibly obvious. 

It really does just feel like layers and layers of guff on top of a perfect formula on first play. Maybe you just can't get away with a game as simple as Left 4 Dead these days.

I have enjoyed the hour and a half I have played so far.  It is a getting annoying pretty fast though, that your teammates keep shouting out every sodding thing they find. Machete here, bandages in the chest, SMG!!!!!

I'm glad it's on Game Pass, because I'd be quite annoyed to have paid £60 for what is essentially L4D with all its character and personality removed. There's nothing actually wrong with, as such, it's simply got a massive shadow to step out of.

32 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I'm glad it's on Game Pass, because I'd be quite annoyed to have paid £60 for what is essentially L4D with all its character and personality removed. There's nothing actually wrong with, as such, it's simply got a massive shadow to step out of.

See this is my worry with it. L4D had bags of personality, from the quips and conversations between characters to the graffiti in the safe rooms. Hell, even the levels themselves had personality. This just looks like someone trying to emulate that without understanding why it worked. But as you said: gamepass. So downloading it now! 

22 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Ok played an hour. It's Left 4 Dead 3. That's it. That's my post.

I wish this were true, but it's more like Left 4 Dead 2.5. The cards don't add anywhere near as much as the game seems to think they do, and seem to exist purely so there can be some "Get this legendary card!" weekends in the future.

That being said, it's at least as good as L4D2.5 should be, because it's built onto an existing best-in-genre. It should be great fun over the next month or two!

20 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I wish this were true, but it's more like Left 4 Dead 2.5. The cards don't add anywhere near as much as the game seems to think they do, and seem to exist purely so there can be some "Get this legendary card!" weekends in the future.

That being said, it's at least as good as L4D2.5 should be, because it's built onto an existing best-in-genre. It should be great fun over the next month or two!

Hmm, maybe. I’ve not really bothered with or paid attention to the cards. 

11 minutes ago, fattakin said:

I’m finding it quite hard, even on novice. For example the broken bridge / ferry bit. Should I be trying to fight the never ending horde or just legging it?

Leg it, they just come forever otherwise.

Just now, CheekyLee said:

Leg it, they just come forever otherwise.

Tried both and failed earlier but good to know! It was hectic and a laugh,looking forward to a 4 man squad. It was 2 and 2 bots ( they are generous with health and ammo! ) 

I'm almost up to Act 2 now, playing with assorted randos. If you luck out and get a good group it's a lot of fun but the difficulty (even on novice) ramps up very fast indeed. It's absolutely fucking nails and a run can go completely tits up in the blink of an eye. Card and character synergies are going to be really important if you're going to have a chance at anything above novice, I think.

The only way this should be played is with a full co-op team with people you know. As a late night beer companion game, this is actually quite good but it's almost pointless trying to play it alone with AI companions or with random strangers. 

I think I've been a bit harsh on it, if I'm honest. There are some great ideas, albeit clumsily handled, and my own jadedness with so much of the AAA bloated bullshit got in the way of objectively looking at cards and mods. If anything, the bars set by the previous games will be this one's biggest obstacle.

It's borderline suicide with bots, though. Whereas Zoe and Francis were damn headshot machines, all this lot know is how to heal you. I watched as Walter fell, and hung on the pipes for 5 minutes with no bot going to help. Since you're always leading, you get 90% of the enemy focus. 

I dunno, maybe I'm just older and slower. I was able to complete both previous games solo, but I can't see myself getting through The Crossing without help from others any time soon. 

2 hours ago, Rayn said:

it's almost pointless trying to play it alone with AI companions or with random strangers. 

Totally disagree with this.  I had a great couple of runs last night playing with full teams of random strangers.  Really enjoyable fun.

46 minutes ago, Jonnycash said:

Is there any Character tree progression like world war z? i know there is a card system but couldn't see any ability tree at all.

You earn supply points through challenges & then in the central hub there is a woman sat at a table called Supply Lines where you spend them.  That is the closest to an ability tree, as  they unlock weapons improvements & better cards etc.

I’m halfway through Act 2 now and have been having an absolute blast. Maybe I’ve just been lucky but anyone who’s got this far will have had to realise that teamwork is an absolute must if you’re going to have any chance of clearing a level (even on Recruit difficulty) so pretty much everyone I’ve matchmaked with at this advanced point in the campaign has been sharing ammo, healing and pinging specials and items. If you act like a twat you’ll just fail so there’s a big incentive not to do so.

I think the card and perk system is actually quite cool and adds a layer of strategy to the whole thing that takes a bit of time to reveal itself but it’s definitely there and is well thought out. Dare I say it but it reminds me of Hades and Slay the Spire in a way, in that the construction of your deck and your selection of cards as you progress leads to you leaning into a particular build that complements your team and weapon choice.

Don’t dismiss it as just a cynical ‘modern gamez’ take on L4D. There’s a really fun, frantic and tense experience to be had if you give it a chance to show what it’s made of. It doesn’t have the elegance of design of L4D maybe but it’s still really good when it comes together and some of the levels are brilliant.

Just spent about 2 hours playing with 2 randoms and a bot all of us in chat. It was absolutely amazing. I can therefore deduce all the whiners are doing classic RLLMUK and playing a MP centric game by themselves and deducing it is shit.

I had a very fun four-way this evening, highly enjoyable. And then I played Back 4 Blood, haw haw!

I will say, it plays like a PC shooter, with fast-moving zombies spawning in close proximity to the player, which isn’t well suited to the slower, more deliberate panning achievable with a controller’s analogue stick, which gives a somewhat lethargic energy to the game - you can tell it wants and expects you to respond faster a en more accurately than the controller allows for. 

Also, the levels can be tricky parse, visually, as there’s lots of clutter and invisible walls, which somewhat exacerbates the above problem. 

Looking forward to playing again with mates, and if a game gives an opportunity to do that, it’s alright in my book. 

Well I am continuing to thoroughly enjoy myself with this game and I am genuinely surprised with the amount of crap being spouted about it on the web, despite the largely positive reviews.

Without wanting to go through the Console Warz looking glass, I can’t help wondering if at least some of it is down to PS players resentment at having to stump up to play for a game that is available on Game Pass.