IGNORED

Back 4 Blood - spiritual successor to L4D

SM47

7 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

The deck does seem more important than you'd first expect. There's a card that gives you 3 seconds sprint burst when you take 10 or more damage which is pretty rad. And anything that gives you more stamina/regen is definitely an essential at first I'd say.

Yeah, the card that gives you health back on melee kills was a (literal) life saver for me in the bar.  Makes you feel pretty awesome too, hack through the hoard without a care in the world! 

What's annoying in Multiplayer is that's its only the host that unlocks progress.  We got past the ferry last night.  I went back to play today and im right back at the start as ive never hosted a game, yet I have unlocked the extra characters that we got from completing the ferry level.

Also, I cant change to the new characters as the game progresses?  Mate came online so we picked up from where we were last night.. but it remembers the characters, guns, health etc.  So when would I ever use the new characters? On a new play thru from scratch?

We did the bar level and it was class.

I think you have to get to the end of an Act, which counts as a "run". 

I have been playing (and hosting) sessions and working my way through Act 1, and then at the end it said "Run Completed" and I was plonked back in the hub. 

I presume if I play tonight and start from Act 2, I can pick a new character and I'll have new cards, though not sure. 

Played through the first mission and really enjoying this now.

NB: I was trying to unlock achievements to count towards this month’s Rewards points and nothing was unlocking. Once I’d finished the first story beat 1-4, I exited the match and went back to camp where eight achievements unlocked. 

Hello. Years since I’ve been here, but was hoping for some help. I enjoyed playing L4D solo as friends moved on to other games and spent probably hundreds of hours playing L4D solo.

This brings me on to B4B. Really enjoying the solo game, but really annoyed that progression is completely locked out of SP.

Playing the campaign with randoms has been a heartbreaking experience, but the game won’t let me play in a private lobby with less than 2 players (not on Playstation anyway). Does anyone know a way I can play the online campaign with bots on Playstation and earn supply points? Thanks.

1 minute ago, Puck said:

Hello. Years since I’ve been here, but was hoping for some help. I enjoyed playing L4D solo as friends moved on to other games and spent probably hundreds of hours playing L4D solo.

This brings me on to B4B. Really enjoying the solo game, but really annoyed that progression is completely locked out of SP.

Playing the campaign with randoms has been a heartbreaking experience, but the game won’t let me play in a private lobby with less than 2 players (not on Playstation anyway). Does anyone know a way I can play the online campaign with bots on Playstation and earn supply points? Thanks.

If you can get the other players to leave... the game seems to continue with bots. But that could be a little tricky to engineer.

9 minutes ago, Danster said:

If you can get the other players to leave... the game seems to continue with bots. But that could be a little tricky to engineer.

☹️ I hope they update the game to allow people to enjoy it in their own way without forcing you to play the game their way.

• 4 weeks later...

Had my first proper go at this last night with 2 friends.

The good

- graphics and theme all seems spot on

The bad

- special infected are nowhere near as distinct as l4d

- ridiculous amounts of weapons that are all essentially the same

- specific ammo for each weapon type

- loads of stupid loot taking me out of the game

- the card system

I think the new complications might be a good thing for the hardcore crowd but when I only want a quick fun spin every now and again I can't be bothered learning all that crap.

Niche reference but - L4D was like the board game Pandemic. Hard to master co-op experience that is perfect in everyway and supports endless replays, because of the thousand ways it can play out. Here they tried to make the L4D version of Pandemic Legacy, to add a meta layer of progression. But rather than make something that felt specifically yours because of the clear defined end in legacy, this just rolls on with metagame grind that kills it dead, and means the core game is unpolished and mechanically tedious.

It's a huge shame, and whilst they aren't in the game (yet?) micro transactions and the metagame that surrounds them are to blame here.

I think it's the most disappointing release I've played this year to be honest. All the elements for it to be interesting are in there, but they all came together so haphazardly and with weird balancing issues I've not felt compelled to go back, especially as the problems that were in the beta seemed essentially unaddressed.

Well I enjoyed it and the Bar Blitz level is the most fun I have had in a game in ages.  Did you guys even get that far?

The card system does add to the game once you get used to it, but I can understand the complaint it adds unnecessary complexity in the early game, so maybe that should have been implemented differently.

It is weird to me how popular it has become to trash this game from people who have barely if actually even touched it.  

I think if you play it for several hours and it's feeling like a bit of a slog it doesn't really endear itself to finding out whatever the "late game" is like. It should start off fun, and get better from there. Unfortunately it didn't really.

Put in another couple of hours last night with my mates, I think it's ace and hectic as anything when the horde come swarming. The card system is really simple, not sure why people have an issue with it. You simply choose a set of 15 cards before you dive into a campaign, then they are presented to you in order - the first one gets assigned automatically and then you choose one per level to add. At the end of your run you get victory points where you can buy more cards. 

The cards themselves are pretty decent selection of standard boosts, nice additiions, over powered but limiting and team based. So you might have one that adds 10% to accuracy, or lets you carry more ammo. Or gives you a massive boost but reduces your stamina. The longer the run, the more cards you get to add to your hand. I was using one last night where I got to replace my secondary weapon with a primary, but my weapon swap speed was reduced by 25%. Worth it for having a snipe rifle as a spare...

The different ammo for different gun types works really well in forcing you to choose different weapons, especially when you're all in a team. There's no point in all taking ARs because there just isn't enough ammo to go around. Also means if you are out of ammo for your main type of weapon you can throw it down, pick up another type and start blasting. 

Disclaimer, only played as a team of 3+ with mates. No idea what it's like to play with randoms or just the bots.

Totally agree with all of the above from Danster.  

I think somewhat perversely this game has been damaged by being a day 1 GP release.  In that yes you do need to put some effort in to get the most out of the game, but once you do that and get a decent team of players together it is excellent fun.  But scores of people trying it out for ‘free’ and bouncing straight off it, then trashing it has done the game no favours.  Added to that you also have sour grapes from the larger PS fanbase, as they were having to pay full whack to play.

So you end up with a game that is being derided by people who have at the very best a passing acquaintance with the actual gameplay itself, which is a shame.

I loved Left 4 Dead but I still can't get into this. I played some more last night and just found it a bit boring. Really shows how important Valve's special sauce was to how the first two games turned out.

I'm not even bothered by the card system or needlessly convoluted amount of weapons and items anymore. The level design, special infected, AI director and character writing are all simply just nowhere near as good as L4D.

It's totally ok but if I'd paid full price for it I'd be much harsher on it.

I do find the idea that any criticism is skewed or half-baked because it's on Game Pass a bit odd still: you are still paying for the service, and investing your time in the game. If the issue is that people might not be "forcing" themselves to get deeper into it because they haven't invested more money as well as time, then I would argue that's indicating some more fundamental problems with it for a lot of players.

I get what @Waggo is saying, and he may be right. I only played a few hours. But it does nothing to earn the trust to give it that extra time. Crucially as well, it makes the start too complicated and not accessible to 'the normals'. My partner loved L4D,(and Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy) but the metagame would be a brick wall for her. No getting over that. It's a real shame.

I actually quite liked the cards idea. It was the wildly swinging game balance that killed it. Randomly having to fight off four of the big armed guys along with other stuff eating up most of your ammo and tanking the run pretty much was not at all fun. And it seemed especially harsh even on the easiest setting which you could have at least hoped to have a fun romp through with a small challenge.

I get the gamepass comment to be honest, but ironically not in this case.

On gamepass a huge amount of people who wouldn't never have bought a game of this type play it, then unsurprisingly dislike it, and then chat about disliking it online.

People compare those impressions to prior non-gamepass releases where only those predisposed to liking a game buy it (so the internet appears more positive).

I think this is what's behind microsofts new 'not actually day 1' nonsense, it's to ensure the first posts online are more positive.

This applys less to B4B though, as it's a lot of the old players who dislike it.

1 hour ago, Waggo said:

It is weird to me how popular it has become to trash this game from people who have barely if actually even touched it.  

It's on the game to make itself compelling enough though. I agree with Benny and I think his criticisms are fair - he's hardly 'trashing' it. The lack of pacing and drama kills it dead for me. It's just constant, there's no ebb and flow, certainly in the 4 or 5 hours I've played. There may well be a brilliant set-piece coming up but I'm never going to see it because the fundamental gameplay doesn't do it for me. There are too many good games vying for my attention at the moment, like the exemplary GTA remasters.