IGNORED

Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

• 3 weeks later...

I gave this a few hours a little while back. It blew my socks off but I was also splitting my time with the DeS Remake and mopping up Control over on PC (thought I'd finished the bugger, a couple of times actually but I'd forgotten I had the DLC and so now I'm running through Foundation, man this game can look good)

Anyway, I fancied a little dabble after tea, and, well, I haven't stopped playing since around 7pm. Fucking fantastic rush of a game. I'm getting slaughtered though, got Phrike down to a whisker a couple of times but I fluffed it. I'm probably playing it wrong as I'm searching every nook and cranny on each run, I'm trying to be prepared with health and weapons and something useful to activate for the fight but I think I should perhaps just start making a beeline to him soon. I just can't stop myself from looking for any tat or doing those previous dead body fights on my way to his lair.

I'm not looking at any tips or walkthroughs though as I'm enjoying figuring it out for myself.

Nothing on tomorrow, got cans of ice cold Coke Zero in the fridge and a Christmas size tub of Cheeselets, gonna pop a Pro Plus and pull an all nighter. Need a new biome to explore.

Boss game.

For those who’ve completed the game:

Spoiler

Is the basic premise that everything she’s been through stems from the car accident and it’s all a dream?

I kind of skimmed through a walkthrough of the thing and that’s the hint I got, but I’m wondering if I just missed out on huge amounts of pertinent data!

I should point out that whilst I desperately want to play the thing I know I’d not be good enough to get to the end :(

15 minutes ago, JoeK said:

For those who’ve completed the game:

Hide contents

Is the basic premise that everything she’s been through stems from the car accident and it’s all a dream?

Well, my take was that:

Spoiler

She actually did land on the Atropos, but its changing / forming based on her psyche. Her hopes and fears are physically formed by the planet somehow.

At the very least, I think its open to interpretation. She could be the child, or the parent in the car. The astronaut could be her mother. etc etc.

1 hour ago, Tomdominer said:

Hide contents

At the very least, I think its open to interpretation. She could be the child, or the parent in the car. The astronaut could be her mother. etc etc.

yeah i didn't have a clue what was going on in the plot.

After I completed this back in August I played a bit longer until I got the "items" I needed for the hidden ending. Found them fairly quickly over a few runs but ended up taking a break for a while as I could not get through the Abyssal Scar. I just found it too difficult for some reason. Dunno if it was the RNG but I was getting decimated. Anyway, I went back and had another couple of runs after the patch but was still getting nowhere. Paused again for a few weeks to finish off a couple of other games I was playing eventually and went back to it tonight. Thought I'd just do a warm up run...

Spoiler

FFjc7jLXwAYBvam.thumb.jpg.ffb9172423e5c105e4ccd72388a1e200.jpg

:omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

Decided I'm not even going to try for the Platinum lol (yet)

Yeah GOTY 2021 for me

20 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Well, my take was that:

Hide contents

She actually did land on the Atropos, but its changing / forming based on her psyche. Her hopes and fears are physically formed by the planet somehow.

Yeah, this is my take too.

Spoiler

Atropos as a sort of space Silent Hill physically manifesting her traumas. The creature at the end who you free from this black cosmic egg (Xaos) being responsible. 
Her creating Atropos as a way of dealing with her trauma works as well, but I prefer the cosmic horror take.

As for the accident, I think it's Selene in the car with her son Helios. She's both the driver and the Astronaut.

It's deliberately ambiguous I think.

5 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Yeah, this is my take too.

Reveal hidden contents

Atropos as a sort of space Silent Hill physically manifesting her traumas. The creature at the end who you free from this black cosmic egg (Xaos) being responsible. 
Her creating Atropos as a way of dealing with her trauma works as well, but I prefer the cosmic horror take.

As for the accident, I think it's Selene in the car with her son Helios. She's both the driver and the Astronaut.

It's deliberately ambiguous I think.

Yeah I read it as the 

Spoiler

Astronaut was essentially the spectre of her career pulling her away from her child. The suit making her a stranger to them. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think now we’ve had Halo and Forza come out, I can confidently say this is my GOTY. 

Its atmosphere, design and core gameplay loop have stayed with me ever since I finished it and once I’ve cleared the decks a bit, I can’t wait to get stuck back in again with those headphones cranked up :D.

Brilliant. 

9 hours ago, jonamok said:

Yep, was never in doubt for me and nothing else even came close. Dread, excellent as it is, was still a distant second.

Same for me. So many games this year have been disappointing compared to my expectations. Returnal was the opposite. Nothing comes close to the tightness of the gameplay and the sense of tough-but-fair challenge

Brutal but fair. The difference with demon souls is you can alway just grind your way into being a concrete wall of death if you like, whearas in this you can’t as much because you lose everything on death.

But don’t let that put you off, it’s an incredible game and shouldn’t be missed. Like any game once you learn it’s systems and the like you’ll master it and have a lot of fun getting there.

Yep, worth pointing out that as its a roguelike you unlock little things over time which increase your chances of survival as well. Its difficulty curve is actually really well done aside from a few spikes in what I like to call 'death rooms' which fortunately are mostly optional. The bosses are tough but nowhere near Souls level difficulty if you are decent at 3rd person shooters.

35 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Just how difficult is this game? I’m currently playing Demon’s Souls, which is still brutal. How does this compare? 

I have bounced off of every Souls game around the mid-point because I've just become so unbelievably bored of having to repeat long sections and then expected to accept that its to help me learn. Fuck that. Returnal has a very similair mechanic and its crushingly difficult in places unless you know what you are doing, but at no point does it feel boring, unfair or repetitive.

The difference for me is that Returnal is as difficult if not slightly more from a gameplay perspective given the volume and pace of the enemies, but it never feels like a chore to play through sections again after you (inevitably) die (multiple) times. Its also without doubt the most rewarding game I have played in a long time and certainly the most visually and technically impressive.

It is absolutely essential gaming and as has been said above it should be GOTY in every category where it has a shout!

I had to stop playing this because of reviews and posters that said they had finished it with 20 deaths and how easy it was. I think I die about 20 times in a single play session :(

I'd love to try it on mouse keys though, a lot of my issue is probably how shit I've become on pad controls. As well as generally being shit and old.

It's definitely a hard game. A lot of the mechanics have a risk/reward element to them. I think for a lot of people there's a turning point where you stop hanging back and be more aggressive with the combat. This comes from learning the enemy patterns, getting the controls down. The reward is that you get more currency for doing this, and that swings things in your favour. 

Absolutely fantastic game. Easily GOTY. 

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

Sounds like an absolute must buy, thank you for the impressions :)

It’s goty for me . Just immensely good. It’s not easy, but it’s nowhere near as punishing as DeS. There’s definitely times you think “i am never going to get past this bit” and then , of course , you do.