Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

3 minutes ago, Minion said:

I've got alt fire on L1, I take it you're using the half trigger press thingy? It would be nice to boost without taking my fingers off the sticks.

Yes, Adaptive triggers are OK to ehr… adapt to in my book.

Just now, Nosejam said:

Is it me or is the hollowseeker gun a bit shit? Massive clip size but does barely any damage? Not sure if I’m using it right.

I thought the same but I think it depends on the Traits. Get one with Waves or Retarget and it feels pretty great!

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

The idea that it's not a Roguelike because you can't do builds says a lot about the kind of Roguelikes we're used to these days. You cope with what you find, and some runs give you a lot more to work with than others.

I'm having a hard time of it but I absolutely love it. Approaching it with the same mindset as one of my favourite games of recent years, Rogue Legacy, in that you just have to deal with the hand you're dealt each run.  I've had a couple of goes at Phrike now and I reckon I've got the measure of that bastard next time I reach him.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

This thread is torture. I really want to play this game, but my PS5 is gone. Worse still, there is actually another PS5 in the house, in the next room actually. But it's basically a Fortnite machine for my nephew.  What a waste. :(

You might think this thread is torture, but it has nothing on what the game would be doing to you right now if you had your PS5 to hand. You'd love some of the more sci-fi world designs and enemies, and the sound and general feel of it all - the last place I was in gave me a serious Mass Effect vibe. Yet you'd be ranting in here at the capricious, cruel, sometimes unfairness of it all. At building up that perfect set of perks and weapon proficiencies and buffs and artefacts, and having it all taken away from you when you die and start again from scratch several worlds back. If you didn't have a broken PS5 to begin with you'd have had one by the end of the Bank Holiday, but this type of damage wouldn't be covered by the warranty.

Having said how cruel it can be, it is one of the best oppressive sci-fi games I've played in ages, with some of the best environments and designs. I bet it looks even better on a huge 4k OLED with HDR. And yet... you're not playing it.

How cruel is that? :lol:

Odd one this. 

The setting, atmosphere and and story elements are doing some incredibly heavy lifting for what feels like a rather pedestrian cycle (at least in the first biome).

Gameplay is serviceable, but not incredibly interesting. It’s punishing as one hit is so debilitating, but that’s not the same as being an interesting challenge. 

Maybe it’s coming from Hades which was near perfect in terms of progression/unlock - but also variety of combat to keep runs interesting . 

RNG seems to play a *very* big part in this and there’s nothing (so far) you can do to mitigate it (unless you’re very skilled)

But things like you’re only upgrade weapon was a shotgun? Good luck on boss!

Room 2! 200 money units for an item! You have that right?

I got Psrike to nearly dead (last bar) on first attempt as I had astronaut and rocket launcher and healing parasite. No other random build had come close. I had few decent attempt suboptimal build and one amazing build but the game crashed.

Similarly malfunctions - rng. You met get ‘kill 10 enemies’ or you might get ‘open 2 chests. What? There’s no chests in remaining rooms? Sorry. Shame’ 

It doesn’t very like an interesting knowledge choice of risk/reward. Just constant unknown gambles.

But you often don’t have a choice. ‘You *need* power and artifacts to progress? Better open this mystery box! Oh shame you’re poisoned, only got a single use shield and used your key. Better luck next time!’

5 hours and I don’t feel like progressed much in the last 2-3 of them. Running through the same time consuming large rooms (sometimes fighting the same 4 types of enemies)  hoping this time to get a viable combo to try the boss.

Theres no slight incremental progression to counter balance the rng and asking you to do the same 20 minutes to even attempt the boss (with or without decent build is punishing. Imagine having to do all the the areas of dark souls again each time you want to try a boss.

Its incredibly compelling though , even though I’m not sure it’s all the good underneath.

Biome 3 reached! I honestly think the second boss is a little easier than the first. Not in actual terms, but relative to the weapons and upgrades you are likely to have at each respective point in the game.

Died fairly early in biome 3 but I finally have an upgrade I've been waiting for for about ten hours now so I'm not even mad.

I'm totally enamoured with this, much more than I thought I would be. The story still isn't doing a great deal for me as it's mostly just a web of vague, cryptic messages so far but the atmosphere, the combat, the level design, the sound, the haptic feedback are all incredible. It's so compelling.

This has been kicking my arse all morning. Oddly enough, my first ‘proper’ run is actually the best one I’ve had so far! (Looks like @Hexx had similar) Got Phrike down to what I now know was its last health bar (I presumed that after the final yellow tab of the three there’d be one final bar, but apparently not!) and died.

I think after that I’ve been experimenting a bit to try and find other areas and weapons. Think I’m limited to three of them at the moment which is basically two as I hate the shotgun with a passion.

I read the Eurogamer review and I can understand the sentiment behind it; whilst the combat is enjoyable, exciting and very fair, the RND behind the map/enemy generation/malfunction odds often isn’t any of the three. It can feel a touch unwelcoming at times. I found one room where I was offered the chance to restore my health, only to have three enemies appear from nowhere as I got up to leave. I laughed at it, but it did feel like a bit of a dick move from design!

Story’s interesting. Reminds me of one of the old original Twilight Zone episodes where a crew of a ship lands on a planet and finds the remains of a crashed ship that looks hauntingly familiar. Not sure I’ll ever be good/patient/lucky enough to see how it pans out, mind!

Oh, and it looks and sounds lovely. I’m still onboard the fun train with it, but can imagine it might get a bit bumpy the more times I lose 45 minutes of exploration when the game shuts me in a lockdown room filled with three insanely tough monsters out of the blue.

It seems to be quite common that people's first runs are the best and then they struggle for ages. I've seen some theorising that the biomes gets harder the more you unlock so even if you haven't actually managed to beat the first boss yet, the fact that you're still unlocking weapon perks and so on means the biome keeps getting harder than it was on your first run. 

I'm not sure if it's true but certainly I felt like my first run was much easier than several subsequent ones.

15 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

I bet it looks even better on a huge 4k OLED with HDR. And yet... you're not playing it.

How cruel is that?

You are a very bad person. :coffee:

About the House in Biome 1:

Spoiler

I didn't explore all of the ground floor before heading up the stairs and triggering a cutscene which made me wake up outside. What happens when you go further along the ground floor corridor?

5 minutes ago, AI said:

About the House in Biome 1:

Hide contents

I didn't explore all of the ground floor before heading up the stairs and triggering a cutscene which made me wake up outside. What happens when you go further along the ground floor corridor?

Spoiler

You pick up a photo of Selene, get a fright, drop the photo, and a little red light starts flashing. Corridor ends in locked door. 

Just now, Mike S said:
Spoiler

You pick up a photo of Selene, get a fright, drop the photo, and a little red light starts flashing.

Spoiler

Yeah I got that bit, then turned around and went upstairs rather than go further along the corridor. Is it just a dead-end?

Also, most of you have probably figured this out, but just in case:

if you go back to your ship during a run and sleep in your bunk, it will not only give you a dream story snippet (there are multiple of these), it will give you health as well.

Think I’m done for now. Went into Biome 2 with everything. Even that perk that slowly regenerates health when you’re low, plus two spare lives. Had an amazing weapon too.

But that biome is too long, and by the time I got to the boss the four severed I had to fight on the way had used up my astronaut, and good consumables, and by the boss’s third phase I’d used up my other lives, but the regenerate perk had me in the red still hanging in there. But then he goes ham with the fireworks in phase 3 and two quick hits did for me.

Just too much going on for this old man to parse I’m afraid. Doubt I’ll ever get that quality of loadout within my patience threshold, so I’m done for now.

If I hadn’t bought it digital it would honestly be in trading now. :( Still it was a mostly fun, very pretty 15 hours. And £4 an hour isn’t too bad. :lol:

6 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Think I’m done for now. Went into Biome 2 with everything. Even that perk that slowly regenerates health when you’re low, plus two spare lives. Had an amazing weapon too.

But that biome is too long [...]

I believe you should've unlocked a teleport gate to the summit; you'll find it at the 'entrance' to the mountain. Pretty sure it activates before you beat the boss and not after.

26 minutes ago, Minion said:

Do I have to kill Phrick again to get to the datacube processor?

Please to help, do I have to face again to process this new cube I have please?

5 hours ago, Hylian said:

Keep strafing around them. Watch out for when they get staggered and fall to their knees. Then go in and melee. 

You do what now

melee? Is there a melee button ?

4 minutes ago, Minion said:

Please to help, do I have to face again to process this new cube I have please?

I don't believe you can get to that Processor without facing the first boss. Once you've beaten the second boss the Processor in that area is pretty easy to get to without facing it again, and there's one sat in the 'hub' of the biome I'm currently on.

Basically I wouldn't worry about it. It'll add a new item to the loot pool, which might be useful, but it's not like you're missing out on a permanent upgrade that's going to make every run easier. You'll have more/easier opportunities to unlock Datacube stuff later on.

Just now, Ferine said:

I don't believe you can get to that Processor without facing the first boss. Once you've beaten the second boss the Processor in that area is pretty easy to get to without facing it again, and there's one sat in the 'hub' of the biome I'm currently on.

Basically I wouldn't worry about it. It'll add a new item to the loot pool, which might be useful, but it's not like you're missing out on a permanent upgrade that's going to make every run easier. You'll have more/easier opportunities to unlock Datacube stuff later on.

Well thats good as I have a cube that will give me 15% extra speed and protection whenever I do an overload and I just fucked my run in a challenge room, sitting on no health, no medkits or astros! Sounds like you've got quite far already wow! Thanks for letting me know I suspected I would have to face phric again, may just warp to the ship to get some sleepy time health.

Reading comments on the first boss nearly had me sticking it on the trading thread before I even got to him, lol!

Beat him first time!

Fuck knows how this shat, impatient old bast did it. Must have had favourable add-ons.

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?