Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Managed another go this evening but I'm bouncing off the second biome quite hard at the moment. Should I have the grapple by now?

I would deem having sprint set to always nigh-on essential the more you progress, and not just for bosses. I can't imagine having to constantly press L3 to move this quickly now, especially in the crazier combat arenas.

1 minute ago, jonamok said:

After you beat the second boss.

Thanks. 

So what's everyone's favourite weapon? Mine is still the carbine. 

Though having got to play with the massively OP ElectroPylon thing in today’s challenge I’m almost tempted to upgrade to the digital deluxe version to get it thrown into the weapon mix ahead of its normal in-game reveal in a later biome. I imagine it batters bosses pretty well too. The good old pay-to-win option.

Edit: Yep, just watched a few YT videos of people taking down Phrike and Ixion with the EP Driver. Ridiculously easy, and deeply bullshit that to get it before biome 4 you need to buy the deluxe version. Wonder if the codes reviewers got had access to that gun out of the gate?

6 hours ago, jonamok said:

After about a 90 minute perfect run-up, I finally had the almost perfect build for Ixion on my 10th or 11th attempt. Almost a double health bar, health vials, astronaut. Decent gun too.

And nope. Phase 3 is just too much shit for me to handle. Next run, into his phase 3 again, thankfully not as much effort put in as last time, and I had my first hard crash. Full power off, database rebuild etc. Fuck this game etc.

If it makes you feel any better I did Ixion on my first attempt.

In love with this, it's just incredibly fun.

I was frustrated with Phrike, so made the decision just to bomb it back to him for each run, no distractions. I'd recommend it as:

• It meant I learnt his moveset much more quickly, and no longer found him intimidating (until the third phase, anyway!) This means that using a level 0 pistol is no problem as you don't need to brute force it
  • Less wasted time on runs that are lost from Phrike deaths
  • Teaches you to get used to the controls

On the third point, I switched jump to L1, Dash to R1 and melee to R3 and it's way better. Like why-isn't-that-the-default better. In a game this intense you don't want to be taking your fingers off the sticks.

Making my way through the second biome now and a big fan of just about everything. I'm not getting nearly as much time as I'd like on it but I'm thinking about it often.

5 hours ago, jonamok said:

Wonder if the codes reviewers got had access to that gun out of the gate?

No.

I didn't use that weapon all that much anyway, but it's a fair point overall that stuff you get later helps a lot.

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

Find the melee weapon in biome 1. Twat stuff with it. Go back to your ship for a free health recharge. Find the house key, explore the house. Grab the item that gives you. Upgrade your weapon at chests. Try out a few parasites. Find the shop and buy some perks. Decode some glyphs. Find the boss room. Fight boss. Die. Repeat until you beat him, though getting there is shorter after the first attempt. Move onto biome 2. I doubt the story makes any real sense until a fair bit later.

best 20 seconds I’ll spend today reading that thanks !

8 hours ago, jonamok said:

Though having got to play with the massively OP ElectroPylon thing in today’s challenge I’m almost tempted to upgrade to the digital deluxe version to get it thrown into the weapon mix ahead of its normal in-game reveal in a later biome. I imagine it batters bosses pretty well too. The good old pay-to-win option.

Edit: Yep, just watched a few YT videos of people taking down Phrike and Ixion with the EP Driver. Ridiculously easy, and deeply bullshit that to get it before biome 4 you need to buy the deluxe version. Wonder if the codes reviewers got had access to that gun out of the gate?

Can you do the upgrade?  I cant see it on the store, unless you have to do it via the console itslef

I am terrible at this. I mean really terrible - I’ve played for a number of hours and only got to Phrike once… but I absolutely love it. It feels amazing in the hands and looks and sounds completely phenomenal

4 minutes ago, Hewson said:

I am terrible at this. I mean really terrible - I’ve played for a number of hours and only got to Phrike once… but I absolutely love it. It feels amazing in the hands and looks and sounds completely phenomenal

Took me 8.5 hours to beat Phrike so you're not alone.

1gb patch coming down the pipes, anyone any ideas of whats in it?

Edit: It's doing that copying bullshit I thought that was supposed the have gone for PS5 games? God damn it.

3 minutes ago, Minion said:

1gb patch coming down the pipes, anyone any ideas of whats in it?

Edit: It's doing that copying bullshit I thought that was supposed the have gone for PS5 games? God damn it.

Hopefully easy mode.

Patch notes:

- Fixed game loading issues.

- Addressed various game crashing issues.

- Added stability fixes.

- Added game performance fixes.

- Other minor fixes.

7 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Christ, Biome 3 is just relentless, huh? Absolutely fuck those flying things that dive bomb you. :angry:

Hollowseeker plus two good traits like serrated blades + retarget will make absolute mincemeat of them. 

1 minute ago, p1nseeker said:

I've left a half decent run on rest mode (as recommended by the devs!) When I wake my machine up and an update is available is that gonna cause issues?

I would imagine only if your device has auto-install turned on for updates.

Just now, Thor said:

Really wish I could play this properly, I'm itching to go back to it.

Yeah I went to bed thinking about this last night.

Does anyone know if you can back to Biome 3 from Biome 2 without having to defeat the boss? I know I can get there from Biome 1 but I'd actually like to level up in 2 prior.

1 minute ago, Minion said:

Yeah I went to bed thinking about this last night.

Does anyone know if you can back to Biome 3 from Biome 2 without having to defeat the boss? I know I can get there from Biome 1 but I'd actually like to level up in 2 prior.

Yep, you can totally do that.

Well, I've only gone and seen the credits a second time.

I was just grinding through biome 4 to try and level up some weapons since the last time I got to biome 5 I didn't survive the first encounter room. Somehow managed to get into 5 with something ridiculous like 21 proficiency. From there, I just wanted to see how far I could push through and ended up going right to the end and finishing the whole thing. Once again, absolutely jacked build, MVP though was adrenaline siphon, which siphons 5% damage per adrenaline level to refill health, which meant I could use almost all the silphium I found to boost my max HP to an absurd 280%. Last boss actually didn't give me too much trouble, I pre-remptively used a couple of vials as I thought I was on a winning run, but didn't actually need to.

Pics of the build:

Spoiler

E0dDEKIXoAAMokc?format=jpg&name=4096x409

E0dDHaCXoAMMBYU?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Specifics about the later biomes and the postgame:

Spoiler

I didn't even realise that I was in biome 6 until I was half way through! I was just thinking, "man, this sure is a long lead-in to the biome 5 boss!" Really weird that it just didn't have a boss, unless I missed something major?

Biome 6 felt very strange tbh, quite sedate compared to biomes 4 and 5. Although maybe that was just because I was using the electropylon driver the entire time so I could be very defensive while still melting all the mini-bosses. Kind of nice though, much less stressful than biome 3, comparatively.

Very happy to be in the endgame now, looking forward to going back through each of the biomes and trying the new weapons I unlocked but never used, now that I can go anywhere and do anything (except go through yellow shields?). Well, assuming that the hidden platforms get added to biomes other than 6, as there were quite a few areas that seemed like I would need them or a double jump to reach.

Anyway, must do some work for now, but excited to get stuck back in again later!

I think I hate this game now. So I can fall 50m down here but not there. Oh and I couldn’t even tell there is a drop because nasties are suddenly everywhere. It’s just not fun.

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?