Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

• 3 weeks later...

Imagine if this tanks!

I wonder if we'll get a huffy "high-budget sony style, £70 a pop gaming is dead" blog post.

Sort of interested in trying this, but I'm not "wrestling with scalpers, bot-dodging, hating myself at 3am sat in a virtual argos queue, 400 - 500 quid in the hole" interested.

Didn't take them long to go running back to daddy Sony bigbucks, did it?

What happened to stormdivers? Did it get scrapped and this is the phoenix that rose from the ashes?

3 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Imagine if this tanks!

I wonder if we'll get a huffy "high-budget sony style, £70 a pop gaming is dead" blog post.

Sort of interested in trying this, but I'm not "wrestling with scalpers, bot-dodging, hating myself at 3am sat in a virtual argos queue, 400 - 500 quid in the hole" interested.

Didn't take them long to go running back to daddy Sony bigbucks, did it?

What happened to stormdivers? Did it get scrapped and this is the phoenix that rose from the ashes?

Stormdivers was put on hold (but probably scrapped) when Sony basically gave them the funds to make their dream game, which is Returnal. They're already recruiting for a new game, so I don't think Stormdivers will ever happen. Probably for the best, as this looks a million times cooler. 

Oh god, yeah, stormdivers looked soooo boring.

I just wish the whole self publishing thing worked out for them and nex machina had sold well.

It was their magnum opus and arguably the best twin stick shooter ever made.

They were planning some really cool future projects before the money stopped rolling in :(

Harry Krueger said

I'd also love to make a traditional scrolling shmup, and DoDonPachi would be my closest reference for that. Though it would probably need to be a horizontal shooter to work better with modern aspect ratios.

Still coming to terms with the fact that I'm living in a timeline where that traditional housemarque shmup will never exist.

Yeah, Nex Machina is amazing. 
It's a shame those projects weren't viable for them, so I'm happy that they can at least make games that play to their strenghts without chasing the 'flavour of the month'. Though I have no idea what their next project will be and if it will be Sony published again. I hope this reviews well and sells enough for them to be profitable. 

I'm really conflicted here, because I love Housemarque and so want this game to do well, but at the same time I think that trying to set an RRP of £70 for all next gen first party games is completely outrageous and so I hope this flops massively to teach Sony a lesson.

Unfortunately I don't think that Sony would learn the right lesson if Returnal does badly. They'd probably blame Housemarque rather than their pricing policy.

I can't help but think this is being sent to die. I'm astounded by how many people who have been staying up endlessly (or pay scalpers!) to get a PS5 then just play COD and FIFA on them. I can't imagine they're going to care about this. 

I'm a big Housemarque fan, but £70 is too much for a video game. Playing the DS remake has done nothing to convince me otherwise.

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I'm a big Housemarque fan, but £70 is too much for a video game. 

And Sony seem to be pretending that they're living in a vaccuum here. The value proposition elsewhere (Game Pass, etc.) has never been stronger. They've reacquired at least a slice of their PS3 arrogance.

I think Returnal will be fine if many people buy it when it's discounted. This isn't a Naughty Dog game budget-wise. ll buy it day 1, not because I dig Sony's pricing, but because I can't wait to play it and want to support Housemarque. Unless it's shit of course, but that doesn't seem likely. If it delivers I'll gift a copy on this forum just to support Housemarqe some more. :)

20 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

And Sony seem to be pretending that they're living in a vaccuum here. The value proposition elsewhere (Game Pass, etc.) has never been stronger. They've reacquired at least a slice of their PS3 arrogance.

I suppose it is a vacuum if people only have a PS5. They’re a captive audience and if they want to play these games, then they have to pay £70.

It looks great though, so it’d be a shame if it flops because of Sony’s arrogance.

I'm personally not going to spend £70 on it. It looks great, it looks exactly like my sort of thing, and I love Housemarque's way of doing things. But I'm not spending £70 on it. Every time I see anything from it I think "SEVENTY POUNDS" and am turned off. I think it's in danger of overshadowing the talk around the game. 

The problem with the pricing strategy is that it turns someone like me, who is usually quite happy to pay £45-£50 on a new release title, into a 'wait for a sale' type consumer.

For Sony I imagine they don't mind if my journey looks like this:

Won't buy at £70 ->when the first sale comes it will be say £45 -> I pick it up for that amount (which is what I would have paid at launch under old pricing strategy anyway, so they don't actually lose anything and they got all those extra £70 customers)

However, it's more likely to go like this:

Won't buy at £70 -> first sale at £45 -> By this time the conversation has moved on, other new games are coming out and since I've waited this long I may as well wait til it gets even cheaper -> pick it up for dirt cheap on eBay at some point.

I think that's the danger. Once you miss out on the zeitgeist you may as well just wait until it's really really cheap in which case you turn a £50 day one customer into a £20-£30 second hand customer. We'll see, I might be in the minority here.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

The problem with the pricing strategy is that it turns someone like me, who is usually quite happy to pay £45-£50 on a new release title, into a 'wait for a sale' type consumer.

For Sony I imagine they don't mind if my journey looks like this:

Won't buy at £70 ->when the first sale comes it will be say £45 -> I pick it up for that amount (which is what I would have paid at launch under old pricing strategy anyway, so they don't actually lose anything and they got all those extra £70 customers)

However, it's more likely to go like this:

Won't buy at £70 -> first sale at £45 -> By this time the conversation has moved on, other new games are coming out and since I've waited this long I may as well wait til it gets even cheaper -> pick it up for dirt cheap on eBay at some point.

I think that's the danger. Once you miss out on the zeitgeist you may as well just wait until it's really really cheap in which case you turn a £50 day one customer into a £20-£30 second hand customer. We'll see, I might be in the minority here.

100% this, and I would go further to say that unless your game launches well as a full retail product (so I'm discounting Early Access here), it will never become a hit because the buzz around your game can never be reestablished to the same momentum that the initial release can give you. I can't think of a game that has 'flopped' on launch, only to then go on to make loads of money. While No Man's Sky built back its reputation following lots of updates, that game still sold really well on release so it was always a success.

Surely there must be one initial flop that ended up becoming a big hit? (Ha, Fortnite! Although what made that game a success was a completely new mode - remember how it was originally just the Save The World stuff - and essentially a second launch, so I don't think it counts.)

16 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

100% this, and I would go further to say that unless your game launches well as a full retail product (so I'm discounting Early Access here), it will never become a hit because the buzz around your game can never be reestablished to the same momentum that the initial release can give you. I can't think of a game that has 'flopped' on launch, only to then go on to make loads of money. While No Man's Sky built back its reputation following lots of updates, that game still sold really well on release so it was always a success.

Surely there must be one initial flop that ended up becoming a big hit? (Ha, Fortnite! Although what made that game a success was a completely new mode - remember how it was originally just the Save The World stuff - and essentially a second launch, so I don't think it counts.)

Demon's Souls? (PS3) That game crept towards a million sales eventually purely through word of mouth. I hope good word of mouth can carry Returnal as well.

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

Fortnite and Among Us both want a word. 

Aha, nice! Among Us is indeed exhibit A. As I've said above, I would argue the toss about Fortnite given how the Battle Royale mode was essentially a completely different game (and marketed as such).

And Among Us at least is  very different beast. Multiplayer experience that you can argue it may have been tricky for people to grasp. You wonder there if the developer even really know how it went from plodding to explosion. Did they release something that changed it overnight, did they do a marketing push, was it just rolling stone and critical mass.

1 minute ago, thesnwmn said:

And Among Us at least is  very different beast. Multiplayer experience that you can argue it may have been tricky for people to grasp. You wonder there if the developer even really know how it went from plodding to explosion. Did they release something that changed it overnight, did they do a marketing push, was it just rolling stone and critical mass.

There was a thread on Era recently about how social media is largely responsible for these huge indie hits and Among Us was cited along with a number of other recent games that have seen huge success without having any big PR promotion behind it. Basically the view was that when the number of streamers showing it hitting a critical mass, the games exploded.

I'm interested but I'm not paying £70. Ever. For any game. 

Although I think it will do better than some people think for the simple reason PS5 owners will want something new to play. 

If it reviews well I would take a punt at £45 but no higher. 

I guess the question is at what price did it do well? If most people for it off some service or for a third of the cost then is it still a success? I guess it can be if it draws players to your platform or keeps them there and subbed to your services. So a success for a platform holder might be different to that of a developer or publisher.

I'm in for the Day 1 fool's edition no doubt. I've put 200 hours into Nex Machina so I'm itching to get into this. Sounds like there will be an arcade/leaderboard mode too, probably discrete areas without random variation.

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?