Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

Enjoying this but it is starting the grate as nearly 7 hours in and only got to first boss once.  

I just don’t have the available time to keep grinding this bloody game.  It needs a save for those people who don’t have hours every day to play games.  

Loving it but getting fed up is seeing the same level over and over again. 

1 minute ago, IainGamer said:

Enjoying this but it is starting the grate as nearly 7 hours in and only got to first boss once.  

I just don’t have the available time to keep grinding this bloody game.  It needs a save for those people who don’t have hours every day to play games.  

Loving it but getting fed up is seeing the same level over and over again. 

Once you've unlocked the boss, I found that the best thing to do is make a beeline to it each time until you finish it. You can usually get there within 5 mins. Once dead you don't need to kill it again. After a few attempts the first two phases become much easier. 

So, I've hit a bug about 3 times so far! 

I lose all "press triangle to pick up" prompts! meaning I'm completely blocked and can't progress so have to reset the cycle! Very annoying! 

Googling has offered that it's a bug related to the pre-order suit - which I was wearing - so I've switched to the default suit again and had no problems. 

The problem is, I hit it for the last time - before googling the solution - at what seems like a vital point. 

This is some first biome spoilers revolving around the house - 

Spoiler

After finishing the fist Boss I noticed that the house was active again for house sequence 2. 

After progressing through this there was a new item available that I could not pick up. 

Googling leads me to think it was the Music Box? 

Is this a permanent item? I don't think it is and I can just buy it again some time? MY game isn't ballsed up no?

My game crashed straight after leaving the house the second time so I never got to pick up or even see the item. I also never saw the music box once in 29 hours so take from that what you will. From reading the description it doesn't really sound essential.

44 minutes ago, Majora said:

My game crashed straight after leaving the house the second time so I never got to pick up or even see the item. I also never saw the music box once in 29 hours so take from that what you will. From reading the description it doesn't really sound essential.

Excellent! Good to know! 

I guess it's your usual type of consumable and will appear in the shop at some points. 

I haven't played it since I did my first foray into the second Biome and a (terrible) run at the Daily yesterday, but the game is solidly in my head all the time. I just want to get back in there.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

So, I've hit a bug about 3 times so far! 

I lose all "press triangle to pick up" prompts! meaning I'm completely blocked and can't progress so have to reset the cycle! Very annoying! 

Googling has offered that it's a bug related to the pre-order suit - which I was wearing - so I've switched to the default suit again and had no problems. 

The problem is, I hit it for the last time - before googling the solution - at what seems like a vital point. 

This is some first biome spoilers revolving around the house - 

Hide contents

After finishing the fist Boss I noticed that the house was active again for house sequence 2. 

After progressing through this there was a new item available that I could not pick up. 

Googling leads me to think it was the Music Box? 

Is this a permanent item? I don't think it is and I can just buy it again some time? MY game isn't ballsed up no?

I had the exact same glitch in the exact same situation. I’ve had the item turn up in a subsequent run, and got to scan and pick it up then. Also noting that switching to the default suit fixed it for me as well. 

4 minutes ago, tobert said:

Ebay are doing one of their 20% off codes so this can be had for £58 from boss games (link) use the code PRICEWINS

Surely £56? Amazing how 20% off is still higher than the generally accepted highest RRP from last gen (I’m not including the £60 digital versions of many big games). Shows just how laughable the intended new level is.

Unrelated to he house, I am experiencing more and more situations where buttons prompts do not appears and buttons lack functionality. Can't teleport, can't use "shops", can't pick up items. Fortunately the handful of times it happened I was rather early in the run but that seems just pure lucky coincidence. Impossible to figure out why it happens without a system diagnose, but I like to believe it's related to when the user inputs several button commands too fast, in other worlds: buy an item, skip cutscene, dash and jump all in the span of like 2 seconds. There's (clearly) an overload that disables the entire functionality.

Rather annoying bug that hopefully gets squished soon.

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Once you've unlocked the boss, I found that the best thing to do is make a beeline to it each time until you finish it. You can usually get there within 5 mins. Once dead you don't need to kill it again. After a few attempts the first two phases become much easier. 

Thanks.  I know this might seem daft but how do you get straight to the boss?  

24 minutes ago, IainGamer said:

Thanks.  I know this might seem daft but how do you get straight to the boss?  

Follow the green rectangle entrances until you come across a red rectangle, this leads to the boss. 

15 hours ago, imp said:

And apropos of nothing, here is my boss tier list. It's based on how fun it is to fight them, rather than how difficult they are. Contains post-biome 3 spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

S Tier

Hyperion

The perfect mix of challenging your attacking and evasive instincts. His stationary phases are fun, as are the more aggressive parts when he takes to the middle of the arena. I really love the double blue ring attacks, they feel incredibly satisfying to dodge.

A Tier

Phrike

I think the Ixion fight is a little more interesting overall, but this one is just very satisfying as you can really lay into him without needing to stop to focus solely on dodging very much. A great flow-state boss.

Ixion

I almost put him above Phrike as I really enjoy fighting him, but I have real trouble with the sequence he does at the start of phases two and three where he deploys the blue bands while firing out orange orbs at you, I just find it really hard to judge spatially and end up jumping on or backing into an orb. I love all the other phases though, the opening move set is fairly easy, but tricky enough to keep you on your toes, the phase two part where he flies away is really satisfying and a nice change of pace too. The final phase, where he relentlessly launches himself at you, is nails though.

B Tier

Nemesis

The fight is an incredible spectacle the first time you down him, but upon repeat visits, it’s all a little rote. Shame, really, as it's probably the coolest bit of the whole game so far.

C Tier

Orphion

Not to say it's a bad fight, but I'm not a huge fan of this guy, even if there’s enough going on to keep you ducking and weaving like a champ. I especially like that by this fight you’re expected to jump as well as dodge throughout, but the light gimmick isn’t that interesting, and he really lacks bite. Understandable, since getting to him can take 3 hours, but a bit of disappointment all the same. Also he isn't nearly as visually interesting as any of the other bosses.

Atropos of nothing, surely?

I'll get my coat.

In other Returnal news, I lost my progress in a run due to an update. You're a harsh mistress, Returnal, but I'm coming back for more. Was watching Max Dood's playthrough of the first biome and of course he basically did everything in one go, including the boss. He only died about twice after the title drop, mainly because he took too much risk with the Reclaimers. Was fun seeing his playstyle though. Very agressive and taking lots of risks with Malignant items and parasites. With skill you can absolutely correct bonehead decisions.

I realized the game tutorializes the shooting of buttons to open doors and I completely forgot about that afterwards. :facepalm: Also, he shot that big ball of black goo at the start, which I never tried, but it actually reacts to your fire. Pretty cool.

Also, there's a nice Resogun easter egg in the ship. And a freaky vision of the Astronaut when you decide to take place behind the steering wheel.

Despite the generally portentous story and dialogue, there's at least one moment in this of which Kojima would have been proud (biome 4 spoilers)

Spoiler

When you're entering the house and the camera pulls back to reveal a child playing Returnal on their PS5. My brain felt like it was shattering into a million pieces 

Did the final story related run, so that's me well and truly in the post-game now. Looking forward to levelling up some of my lesser used weapons and seeing what ridiculousness ensues!

Also, the auto firing rocket launcher is just madness at high levels. It minces sub-bosses in the final biome in two clips!

Loving this. It clicks with me the exact same way Binding of Isaac does.

Poor load out by the end of Biodome 1? Restart.

Good run and dying because of my own stupidity? Shrug it off and restart.

No good weapons drops at all after 5 minute? Restart.

Not doing well at all after several restarts? Go do something else.

edit: Rogue Legacy and Enter the Dungeon rub me the wrong way for some reason, dying in those games irritate me. I can not explain why that is.

Yeah, unfortunately I'm pretty close to abandoning this, which does sting a bit, given that it means I'll have essentially dropped €80 to experience a few variants of 15 mins of the first level.  An easy mode where you're a bit more resistant and weapons do a bit more damage wouldn't seem to alter the core experience that much (as even that would push my skills to the limit) but would just give me enough breathing room to make some more progress.

It's a shame, I'm not a great gamer by any means but I've seen off games like Vanquish on hard mode and I've seen the end of many classically difficult games like Ninja Gaiden and Demon's Souls, so I hadn't expected to struggle with this as much as I have, especially as I've plenty of experience of third person shooters as well as much of Housemarque's earlier output.

To be fair, I think I would have been more cautious purchasing Returnal had it been one title amidst a sea of PS5 exclusives to pick from. I was always apprehensive about the roguelike elements but I enjoy a good third person shooter, so I just thought I'd get through it. Sadly it looks like I haven't and after losing ten or so hours to it, with only a few visits to the first boss to show for it, what fun there is has been more or less destroyed by how unbearably tedious I'm finding the lack of variety in the one opening bit I've been replaying and replaying and replaying.

Who knows, a few years from now I may rediscover it. I rediscovered the Souls series recently after having similar feelings regards Demon's Souls back in the PS3 era and now the remaster is one of my favourite gaming experiences of all time, but for now I think Returnal will be best served helping to fund a purchase of Ratchet & Clank later next month.

Genuinely happy to read the enthusiasm many members have for it though, I can imagine that when it gets you in the right zone and you click with it, it's an incredible experience, it's shame I haven't got there with you.

12 minutes ago, imp said:

Did the final story related run

I guess you mean 

Spoiler

collecting the sun fragments for the extra ending?

I have a question. Sometimes I swear my character is getting hit and not losing Adrenaline. I know there are shield pickups but do you generate a shield as you play? How do you know when you've got it and where does it come from? 

13 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Yeah, unfortunately I'm pretty close to abandoning this, which does sting a bit, given that it means I'll have essentially dropped €80 to experience a few variants of 15 mins of the first level.  An easy mode where you're a bit more resistant and weapons do a bit more damage wouldn't seem to alter the core experience that much (as even that would push my skills to the limit) but would just give me enough breathing room to make some more progress.

It's a shame, I'm not a great gamer by any means but I've seen off games like Vanquish on hard mode and I've seen the end of many classically difficult games like Ninja Gaiden and Demon's Souls, so I hadn't expected to struggle with this as much as I have, especially as I've plenty of experience of third person shooters as well as much of Housemarque's earlier output.

To be fair, I think I would have been more cautious purchasing Returnal had it been one title amidst a sea of PS5 exclusives to pick from. I was always apprehensive about the roguelike elements but I enjoy a good third person shooter, so I just thought I'd get through it. Sadly it looks like I haven't and after losing ten or so hours to it, with only a few visits to the first boss to show for it, what fun there is has been more or less destroyed by how unbearably tedious I'm finding the lack of variety in the one opening bit I've been replaying and replaying and replaying.

Who knows, a few years from now I may rediscover it. I rediscovered the Souls series recently after having similar feelings regards Demon's Souls back in the PS3 era and now the remaster is one of my favourite gaming experiences of all time, but for now I think Returnal will be best served helping to fund a purchase of Ratchet & Clank later next month.

Genuinely happy to read the enthusiasm many members have for it though, I can imagine that when it gets you in the right zone and you click with it, it's an incredible experience, it's shame I haven't got there with you.

You do not feel or experience progress? Biodome 1 has a handful of different enemies, by now you know their attack patterns and speed, can react almost on instinct to what they're doing etc. When it comes to level layout, there's not that many pieces so - again - you know where to go and what to expect. This room is a boss arena, this alleyway has no enemies, this area spawns the wee flying opponents, this door leads to the next Biodome, etc.

Not having a go at you here. Am just genuinely wondering if you feel like you're starting from scratch after every time you die.

Couple of questions for any kind souls...

i) I'm still on biome one and slightly struggling with Phrike. Should I be putting the Ether I gain into the obelisk in the crash room or is there a better use?

ii) Sometimes a room spawns which is a large pool with a walkway around it... and seemingly nothing else. Am I missing something in here?

Any help welcome. I'm still loving it despite the lack of progress. I find the shooting just really pleasurable, even though I'm getting hammered!

1 minute ago, Hewson said:

i) I'm still on biome one and slightly struggling with Phrike. Should I be putting the Ether I gain into the obelisk in the crash room or is there a better use?

ii) Sometimes a room spawns which is a large pool with a walkway around it... and seemingly nothing else. Am I missing something in here?

Any help welcome. I'm still loving it despite the lack of progress. I find the shooting just really pleasurable, even though I'm getting hammered!

i) Personally I used 3 Ether in there once and never bothered after that. I save it for other stuff. You should be able to see off Phrike with a decent amount of health, a refill and an Astronaut.

ii) I assume it's something that you can use later on once additional abilities are gained. I'm up to the boss of biome 2 and still haven't got anything that would make use of it.

5 minutes ago, Hewson said:

i) as far as I know feeding the obelisk ether unlocks items that can drop to the pool. Correct me if I am wrong. The item you receive is I believe random. For now, I am feeding the obelisk because I do not really know what else to do with the ether. I happily take any debuff over using ether to cleanse it.

ii) not sure. I guess there's a swim upgrade somewhere in the later biodomes.

edit: for Phrike:

- bring an Astronaut (costs 250 currency). This allows you to revive once.

- start the fight with as much health as possible. Definitely a full 100% one, any extra percentage you can get is welcome.

- bring consumables you actually want to use. I definitely recommend some that allows you to heal and save em for the boss.

- When it comes to weapons, take something with range (so not the shotgun) and preferably some sort of homing capabilities so you keep hitting the boss even when your precision is off.

- disable to pressure-sensitive shoulder buttons, I'm too clumsy for that. Zoom is on L2, Alt Fire is on L1, Item is on R1.

6 minutes ago, Hewson said:

1) Your only other potential uses are to spend 6 ether to replicate yourself or to swap 5 ether for 200 currency at the shop. Ether is very, very rare early on (it drops much more frequently later) so they're quite expensive uses.

If you replicate yourself, your exact build will respawn once after dying so long as your die within that same biome. I only ever used this about 3 times in the whole game and it was generally when I was about to face a boss and had such a good build that I couldn't bear the prospect of not having a second shot at the boss with that same build.

Swapping ether for currency can be useful but early game you probably are best just putting it into unlocking new items as the more items that have a chance to appear in your run the better.

Oh, there is also the option to cleanse malignant items with ether but it's a total waste of a valuable resource. 

2) You will eventually be able to do something in those rooms but not for a long time. Just ignore them.

1 minute ago, Hewson said:

First question: it could help, but I prefer Ether to cleanse stuff with.
Second question, you can forget about it for now: 

Spoiler

you'll need an item from a later biome to go into the water

Also, for people struggling: I've posted this before but in case you missed it, this might help:

Also, I recommend watching Max' playthrough I linked above. He's a skilled player, but it still gives you a good idea of the flow and the risk/reward mechanics.