Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

5 minutes ago, IainGamer said:

So just got to the first boss for the second time and got beat in the last of the 3 levels they have. 

what is the best gun/alt for this boss?  

Depends. Not the shotgun I reckon as it's cost range. Get something with homing capabilities.

The attack that got me far too often in his last phase is the

Spoiler

melee teleport.

My dodging is ill-timed.

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

I guess you mean 

Hide contents

collecting the sun fragments for the extra ending?

Yeah, all done and dusted. :) 

The difficulty on this game is incredibly wonky, since an untimely death to a secret room mini-boss, I actually managed a three game win streak. I think act 2 is much easier than act 1 overall, although biome 4 can always catch you out.

I'm actually wondering how much getting the weapons early would have messed up the experience if I'd bought the deluxe edition. I mean, I was never going to get it, but thinking about it now, I'm pretty sure it would have been much worse overall. For one, the drip feed of new stuff wouldn't feel nearly as good, and some of those weapons are really weird and difficult to use. I think having the smaller weapon pool at the start is far more beneficial for learning traits and having good, reliable damage dealers to learn the game with. Then again with the deluxe you could get the electropylon gun early and probably outright win on your first run.

6 minutes ago, imp said:

I think act 2 is much easier than act 1 overall, although biome 4 can always catch you out.

You say this but

Spoiler

both times I get into 5 I get destroyed by the humanoid alien dudes, what am I doing wrong?

I think the second biome is easier as well, because you have so much space to work with. You can often kill opponents from a distance and there's lots of stuff to hide behind if the going gets tough. 

Some of the lockdowns in the first biome can be brutal, especially if you have those huge tentacled pounding beasts and a couple of evil Groots together.

7 minutes ago, Minion said:

You say this but

Reveal hidden contents

both times I get into 5 I get destroyed by the humanoid alien dudes, what am I doing wrong?

Spoiler

Dash when the orange trail appears near you. But yeah, the Severed can be dicks.

Edit: nevermind, thought you were talking about the second Biome, but seems you're talking about 5.

7 minutes ago, Minion said:

You say this but

Hide contents

I had a couple of runs like that too, at first, but IDK, once it clicks it seems to really click. Or once you've levelled up your guns a bit, anyway. Also I think that having got further suit abilities has eased the difficulty of the area for me as I'm able to get more out of biome 4.

6 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I think the second biome is easier as well, because you have so much space to work with. You can often kill opponents from a distance and there's lots of stuff to hide behnd if the going gets tough.

Yeah, I agree, other than the shock of the area's minibosses and a couple of the close quarters fights it's much nicer IMO. There's nothing nearly as terrifying as the bats from the first biome either!

Think I am going to jack this in.  Played 2 hours today.  (Had meeting cancelled!)

Just can’t get past first level.  And the game knows I am shit as it keeps giving me better stuff.  Lol!! 

I love it but just getting on my nerves now.  

Wow just experienced a new enemy type in biome 4 I hadn't before

Spoiler

Flying squid thing like the others but has tons of energy and does a purple lazer that starts off as 4 beams and focuses into one, first room as well I had no chance!

4 minutes ago, Minion said:

With the pylon thingy are you best off creating zones of pylons or shooting enemies with the pylons? 

Depends, for flying enemies, I like to create a little web in front of me if possible, or just put a couple of pylons in the floor so that when I hit an enemy it'll be taking extra damage. I especially like the latter strategy for mini-bosses, as you can create a little web of death under the orb as they're spawning in, then immediately light them up with a couple of pylons and cackle like a maniac as they get sapped to nothing.

EDIT: I generally just shoot at enemies though, unless there are loads in a pack, in which case I'll go for the ground sometimes so that when an enemy dies he doesn't take the pylon with it so it's still damaging others in the group.

8 minutes ago, Minion said:

With the pylon thingy are you best off creating zones of pylons or shooting enemies with the pylons? 

Generally I just shot at the enemies but the good thing about the weapon is that if it misses enemies but sticks to the floor or wall near them then it will create a web anyway. It's part of the reason it's so overpowered. You can just fire off a load of pylons and then focus your attention on something else for a bit safe in the knowledge that that enemy is continually losing health for a while.

There isn't a single downside to the gun that I can think of. It has superb range on top of everything else (I was destroying minibosses in the later biomes from miles away)

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

Looks like they left the debug mode in, oops!

Dear lord. That's quite the task to forget before launch!

2 crashes today, the second I was on an immense run. Had a tonne of health and protection and having cleared every single room in biome 1 and 2 it crashed on the approach to the 3rd boss. I’m relishing the challenge but losing all progress due to a crash has really wound me up today. Had no crashes for the first 4 days!

Man you guys are full of shit Biome 5 is NAILS! 3rd time destroyed again, got a few chambers in this time but still...

Whats this about leaving chests and the blue things till you've cleared a biome, what difference does that make please?

3 hours ago, df0 said:

You do not feel or experience progress? Biodome 1 has a handful of different enemies, by now you know their attack patterns and speed, can react almost on instinct to what they're doing etc. When it comes to level layout, there's not that many pieces so - again - you know where to go and what to expect. This room is a boss arena, this alleyway has no enemies, this area spawns the wee flying opponents, this door leads to the next Biodome, etc.

Not having a go at you here. Am just genuinely wondering if you feel like you're starting from scratch after every time you die.

Not starting from scratch no, as you say there's a greater familiarity with the structures and environment and I know when to use the sword, when to shoot etc. I just don't seem to be able to react quick enough to the enemies or the boss attacks. Maybe time has simply eroded my reflexes... which is a sad thought. :(

The problem is that this period of stagnation has just dragged on too long and I can't sustain enthusiasm for the experience anymore. If I'd been able to make just a bit more progress, I'd have perhaps in turn, shown more commitment to pressing on with it. Just the simple concession of letting you fill your health before a boss fight would have helped. That such a relatively small comfort is missing is so dispiriting and with many more proficient players hitting a brick wall at the second boss, there's little to cheer me on. I'll stick with it until Ratchet drops, who knows, I might have a Souls moment where it all just falls into place. :)

16 minutes ago, Minion said:

Man you guys are full of shit Biome 5 is NAILS! 3rd time destroyed again, got a few chambers in this time but still...

Whats this about leaving chests and the blue things till you've cleared a biome, what difference does that make please?

As far as I can work out, if you clear the biome first your proficiency will be much higher and therefore as you head to the boss you pick up whichever weapon type you prefer and it will be a much better level than it would have been had you grabbed it near the start.

4 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

The problem is that this period of stagnation has just dragged on too long and I can't sustain enthusiasm for the experience anymore. If I'd been able to make just a bit more progress, I'd have perhaps in turn, shown more commitment to pressing on with it. Just the simple concession of letting you fill your health before a boss fight would have helped. That such a relatively small comfort is missing is so dispiriting

You can do that - at least in biome 1. Just warp back to the ship and have a sleep or two. That'll restore your health.

4 minutes ago, charley farley said:

As far as I can work out, if you clear the biome first your proficiency will be much higher and therefore as you head to the boss you pick up whichever weapon type you prefer and it will be a much better level than it would have been had you grabbed it near the start.

Ok yeah I get that, just wondering about the blue things, the calibrators, is it the same deal, get through without using any then when you use them it will upgrade you more - that doesn't make sense actually unless there's something i'm missing. The chests do as the guns will be higher level.

5 hours ago, df0 said:

Unrelated to he house, I am experiencing more and more situations where buttons prompts do not appears and buttons lack functionality. Can't teleport, can't use "shops", can't pick up items. Fortunately the handful of times it happened I was rather early in the run but that seems just pure lucky coincidence. Impossible to figure out why it happens without a system diagnose, but I like to believe it's related to when the user inputs several button commands too fast, in other worlds: buy an item, skip cutscene, dash and jump all in the span of like 2 seconds. There's (clearly) an overload that disables the entire functionality.

Rather annoying bug that hopefully gets squished soon.

The official stance on this seems to be to don’t use the DLC suits and if you have customised controls, set them to default. I saw this a few times and since switching to the default suit I haven’t seen it.

In other news, area 3 done! That slog back up to the boss was very close to doing me in.

2 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

You can do that - at least in biome 1. Just warp back to the ship and have a sleep or two. That'll restore your health.

ORLY... well that does inspire a few more attempts at least, cheers.

1 minute ago, Minion said:

Ok yeah I get that, just wondering about the blue things, the calibrators, is it the same deal, get through without using any then when you use them it will upgrade you more - that doesn't make sense actually unless there's something i'm missing. The chests do as the guns will be higher level.

My apologies - I thought you meant the chests as they glow blue. I can't see any benefit to not collecting the calibrators as you go along.

Just now, charley farley said:

My apologies - I thought you meant the chests as they glow blue. I can't see any benefit to not collecting the calibrators as you go along.

No need to apologise dude, thanks! Now can you help me git gud so I can get through Biome 5 :D

Having the right gun is essential for me. If I can get hold of the Carbine AND have extended health AND have level five adrenalin AND have level 2 on the wep proficiency I can get to the last 1/10th of his last bar (yes i am still at the start). So piss about for 40 mins and MAYBE you'll get what you need. But you probably won't.

It's the Destiny raid shit again. 

Patch in some save points, let me keep s o m e t h i n g to help me post dying and you have an alright game for regular joe who just wants to play a game.

4 hours ago, Bojangle said:

Looks like they left the debug mode in, oops!

Holy forking shirt balls, forum knighthood for @Bojangle for finding this. Literally a game changer.

Reinstalled the game, plugged in a keyboard, spawned a Level 0 Electropylon driver (the weapon you unlock from the start if you pony up £80 for the digital deluxe version, otherwise it’s wait until biome 4 you pauper), and tried it out on Phrike for a laugh. I’d struggled to beat him for hours a few days ago. Eventually doing it, just, with multiple revives. Here? Boom, down in 1. Barely scratched.

Right then Ixion, it’s time. Level 6 Electropylon Driver, in we go, and after 15 hours of frustration, getting nowhere near him, and completely binning off the game - boom! The fucker was dead, and I only took about two thirds health damage. And on we go to Biome 3. And I’m back in this fucking game again.

And the best thing is, using this weapon early is perfectly aligned to the creator’s vision (if you’re rich enough to afford it). :lol:

Top tip: disable auto game updates on your PS5, as they’re bound to patch this fuck-up out post haste!

12 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Holy forking shirt balls, forum knighthood for @Bojangle for finding this. Literally a game changer.

Reinstalled the game, plugged in a keyboard, spawned a Level 0 Electropylon driver (the weapon you unlock from the start if you pony up £80 for the digital deluxe version, otherwise it’s wait until biome 4 you pauper), and tried it out on Phrike for a laugh. I’d struggled to beat him for hours a few days ago. Eventually doing it, just, with multiple revives. Here? Boom, down in 1. Barely scratched.

Right then Ixion, it’s time. Level 6 Electropylon Driver, in we go, and after 15 hours of frustration, getting nowhere near him, and completely binning off the game - boom! The fucker was dead, and I only took about two thirds health damage. And on we go to Biome 3. And I’m back in this fucking game again.

And the best thing is, using this weapon early is perfectly aligned to the creator’s vision (if you’re rich enough to afford it). :lol:

Top tip: disable auto game updates on your PS5, as they’re bound to patch this fuck-up out post haste!

Glad you got some use out of it, I was very tempted to use it myself to get the 3rd boss down but I managed it. I’m sure I’ll hit a wall again soon enough. :lol:

6 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Boss 4 is downed. Carbine with leech made light work of the bugger

Well done I loved boss 4 I was totally in the zone, be interested to see how you get on with biome 5. I clearly suck as I only managed to get there once in the past few hours, that's me done for today.