Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

6 minutes ago, skittles said:

Nice. Thanks.

If i've beaten the first boss, is it worth taking him down again for the loot? What does he drop? Weapon or random?

You might want to skip the boss while your primary goal is to explore biome 2, but I always take him down when I'm going for a serious run. You get 5 ether and a random artefact.

Also, as Vemsie mentions, worth doing if you find a datacube.

There's a refrain somewhere in Biome 1's soundtrack that sounds exactly like one of the tracks from Coldcut's Let Us Play album. I need to listen to it to remind myself.

Sorry of these have been asked (and answered) a million times. But...

• Is it obvious when you get the ability to smash those solid grid walls blocking crates, or are they opened a different way?
  • Is it obvious when you get the ability to pass through those yellow force field walls, or are they opened a different way?

Also, where is the best place to read patch notes, once the game is updated?

Cheers in advance!

15 minutes ago, Pungee said:

This sounds mental, I know, but there's a repeated sound effect in this that sounds EXACTLY like the first few seconds of the Green Hill Zone music and I can't figure out what it is. 

I generally hear it just after combat has finished and the last enemy in a room is dead. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? I'm not making this up, I swear.  

Is it the sound you hear very faintly at 47:14 here:

18 minutes ago, Pungee said:

This sounds mental, I know, but there's a repeated sound effect in this that sounds EXACTLY like the first few seconds of the Green Hill Zone music and I can't figure out what it is. 

I generally hear it just after combat has finished and the last enemy in a room is dead. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? I'm not making this up, I swear.  

Might be the reload complete sound from your alt.fire?

13 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

• Is it obvious when you get the ability to smash those solid grid walls blocking crates, or are they opened a different way?
  • Is it obvious when you get the ability to pass through those yellow force field walls, or are they opened a different way?

Cheers in advance!

Spoiler

Look for a switch in the room, it will be a little yellow light that will turn red when you put your cross hair on it.

I opened one yesterday by doing melee then shooting.

5 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Is it the sound you hear very faintly at 47:14 here:

Amazing, I think that's it. I swear it's more pronounced/goes on longer when I hear it but I'm sure that's it. Maybe it is just part of the transition from the tense combat music back to the regular level music. 

3 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Might be the reload complete sound from your alt.fire?

I don't think it's this. The alt-fire ready sound blasts out from my controller at a ridiculous volume. 

18 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Cheers in advance!

Yellow barriers:

Spoiler

You need the blade enhancer artefact (often in the shop for 200 obolites) to break these. This never gets explained in the game at all, and it didn’t know this until I had rolled the credits twice!

10 minutes ago, tobert said:

Reveal hidden contents

Look for a switch in the room, it will be a little yellow light that will turn red when you put your cross hair on it.

:doh:

9 minutes ago, imp said:

Yellow barriers:

Reveal hidden contents

You need the blade enhancer artefact (often in the shop for 200 obolites) to break these. This never gets explained in the game at all, and it didn’t know this until I had rolled the credits twice!

I'd actually recommend people read this spoiler, as I was waiting for a permanent upgrade the entire game. I figured it out eventually, but you can find some good stuff in those rooms.

2 hours ago, imp said:

You might want to skip the boss while your primary goal is to explore biome 2, but I always take him down when I'm going for a serious run. You get 5 ether and a random artefact.

Also, as Vemsie mentions, worth doing if you find a datacube.

A datacube in the biome before the boss right?  Got it.

For those who want to dive deeper into the lore after completion, this thread on Era has some interesting takes with plenty more to come no doubt. 

Also, watching Max' playthrough made me kinda jealous of how easy he made things look, haha. He basically did the first two biomes in one run and only died in the third because he made the mistake of entering a challenge room. Which reminds me that I really hate it when I drop into a secret room and there's an elite enemy waiting. :)

This game though. 

9 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Which reminds me that I really hate it when I drop into a secret room and there's an elite enemy waiting. :)

In case you hadn't considered it, you can just leave using the translocator. I think it'll always be just behind you.

15 minutes ago, Ferine said:

In case you hadn't considered it, you can just leave using the translocator. I think it'll always be just behind you.

I sometimes do this, yes. But I'm a stubborn asshole who thinks I can beat them and I sometimes pay for it. :)

Finally beat the 3rd biome, glad to be done with that level! Also beat the 4th biome boss on first attempt but had a horrible audio glitch, sounded like my speakers were going to explode. 

Feeling more confident that I can go on to beat the game now. 

Also, I fucking love this game. Going to take something special for this not to be GOTY.

I had that audio glitch, then i lost all sound. During biome 3's boss. It's not like you can reload the game to try sort it as that's your run over. "luckily" i died soon after anyway!

Easter eggs/references:

Spoiler

One of the blocky humans from Resogun can be found in the front of the ship and another one tucked away in one of the biomes, a book named The Color Space, obviously referencing Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space and an URL on the cereal box that leads to this article from Scientific American.

If somebody spots other ones, lemmeknow.

32 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

I had that audio glitch, then i lost all sound. During biome 3's boss. It's not like you can reload the game to try sort it as that's your run over. "luckily" i died soon after anyway!

I've only had that glitch while using headphones plugged into the controller with a cable. Were you guys doing the same? I figured it was a controller issue because when I unplugged the headphones the sound was normal except for the ones that come out the controller speaker, which were still mega glitchy.

In other news, I've cleaned out Cthonos for new consumables and relics apparently. Feels weird, but I guess the best use for ether is now cleansing chests?!

Nooooo! I died at a huge miniboss right before what must have been the end of game :( I should have kept going last night. Ahh well try again I guess. 

Advice please to those who have completed the game or biome 5

Spoiler

can I just go back to the depths and not do iceworld?

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Nooooo! I died at a huge miniboss right before what must have been the end of game :( I should have kept going last night. Ahh well try again I guess. 

Advice please to those who have completed the game or biome 5

Hide contents

can I just go back to the depths and not do iceworld?

Yeah, you totally can. I’m doing that now, getting some traits for high level weapons. Surprisingly fun, considering how fragile you are having only done half a biome before stepping into the last level!

1 hour ago, imp said:

I've only had that glitch while using headphones plugged into the controller with a cable. Were you guys doing the same? I figured it was a controller issue because when I unplugged the headphones the sound was normal except for the ones that come out the controller speaker, which were still mega glitchy.

I did have headphones plugged into my controller yeah. Might try swapping pads if it happens again

1 hour ago, imp said:

In other news, I've cleaned out Cthonos for new consumables and relics apparently. Feels weird, but I guess the best use for ether is now cleansing chests?!

So is it just useless now? I was hoping

Spoiler

you could instead use it to get a random starting item, in a Neow's Gift stylee. Thought it would add to the reply value a bit.

Ugh, had two runs ended by two crashes this afternoon. I love this game but think I’ll hang fire on it until tonight’s patch or a few more stability patches. Losing an hour of progress each time is gutting :(

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?