Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Earlier today, I did a run through biomes 1 and 3 (beating the 3rd boss at my first attempt, only just) and most of the way into 4 as well (enjoyed all those mad cutscenes at the end of 3).

Had to nip out, so put the PS5 in rest mode. Hard crash and lock up. Off and on at the wall. Rebuild database, and oh fuck save game corrupted. Had to download from the cloud which was well before that run began, so I lost all of it. Ho hum. Back to the start of biome 3 we go again.

Mostly it’s an amazing game. But fuck me, it’s also one of the most buggy things I’ve ever played outside of early access, and for £70 it’s a bit of a piss take to send it out with this much still wrong with it.

The gun that fires the purple shit. Oh my... SO SATISFYING. The haptics are absolutely spot on. I’m ripping everything apart. An absolute joy to use.

I’ll probably never get that gun again. Here have a Spitmaw Blaster instead.

This game is an ASSHOLE.

I've not had any crashses or issues bar falling through the world once and it just respawned me where I was about a minute later, it's a shame to hear about so many crashes and this new save file thing @imp has, please let us know how you get on with that. For me it's the biggest surprise I've had in gaming since Apex was suddenly announced and launched in the same evening and everyone turning from derision whilst we waited to Oh Shit this game is seriously GOOD. I'm scared to install this patch now.

Well, it hasn't done a full crash, but is throwing up the same error over and over. I don't seem to have lost any progress though, which is a relief. I'm going to leave it for the evening and see if they announce anything later.

I did get an astra scout almost straight away though, which was surprisingly fun.

Spoiler

It threw a malformed enemy at me in an area they never normally spawn into, which made the dynamics of the fight really fun and interesting. :)

5 minutes ago, imp said:

Well, it hasn't done a full crash, but is throwing up the same error over and over. I don't seem to have lost any progress though, which is a relief. I'm going to leave it for the evening and see if they announce anything later.

I did get an astra scout almost straight away though, which was surprisingly fun.

Hide contents

It threw a malformed enemy at me in an area they never normally spawn into, which made the dynamics of the fight really fun and interesting. :)

Do you have a cloud save? Have you tried playing in offline mode? I had a few scouts in the challenge mode but I couldn't interact with them beyond seeing where they died.

I’ve also seen the save file error message pop up twice now (once when dying and another time when picking up an item) but it doesn’t seem to break anything... yet. Obviously far more annoying if it’s appearing every five seconds.

It feels like the game is getting more unstable/buggy with these, what are sure to be, rapid patches. I can appreciate them wanting to get fixes out but man, take the time and give them a full test cycle.

Even with these issues though it’s still so far from one of the most buggy things outside of early access, what a mad statement.

9 minutes ago, Minion said:

Do you have a cloud save? Have you tried playing in offline mode? I had a few scouts in the challenge mode but I couldn't interact with them beyond seeing where they died.

I’ve seen a couple now, I think the outcome is random. First one I scanned and then if you follow it to where they died you can interact with it and choose to avenge them. Second one I found I scanned and then it automatically spawned a mini boss. The Ether from these would have been really useful early on! 

10 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Even with these issues though it’s still so far from one of the most buggy things outside of early access, what a mad statement.

Probably. Just increasingly annoyed with the game and these shite patches.

Okay nope, the save error is wiping your save. If you have auto sync enabled it’s “fine” as starting the game will grab the PS+ one but if you don’t have PS+ your save is gone. 

Christ I feel bad for them. As a QA myself I don’t often say this, but... how did this slip through? :o

7 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Okay nope, the save error is wiping your save. If you have auto sync enabled it’s “fine” as starting the game will grab the PS+ one but if you don’t have PS+ your save is gone. 

Christ I feel bad for them. As a QA myself I don’t often say this, but... how did this slip through? :o

Damn that sounds bad, I don't want to install this patch I wonder if I can delete it.

7 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Been playing for over 20hrs and not encountered any glitches at all so far. It’s been flawless. Just downloading the new  Update now.

I would advise against that. Getting the save error thing too :(

Weirdly if you play on a “new” save the save file error doesn’t seem to happen (at least in the quick 10 minutes I just did) where it appears to happen every time you do something that triggers a save (research progress, picking up a new log etc) if you’re playing on a save from pre patch. I think they’ve done work towards a save system in the background here and fucked something up. 

10 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I would advise against that. Getting the save error thing too :(

Cheers for the warning. Just cancelled the update and will carry on playing without it just in case. 

33 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Care to reconsider? :unsure:

Fair play to them, they’ve gone for quality of bugs over quantity. Someone on Era reckons to have just lost their full 30 hours of progress. Scary if true.

12 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Weirdly if you play on a “new” save the save file error doesn’t seem to happen (at least in the quick 10 minutes I just did) where it appears to happen every time you do something that triggers a save (research progress, picking up a new log etc) if you’re playing on a save from pre patch. I think they’ve done work towards a save system in the background here and fucked something up. 

Yeah, like you say - it's a bit mad that this got through.

The save error came up for me when I found a corpse to scan in the first area. Ironically, the PSN ID was TTV_PatchNotes :lol:

7 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Care to reconsider? :unsure:

Fair play to them, they’ve gone for quality of bugs over quantity. Someone on Era reckons to have just lost their full 30 hours of progress. Scary if true.

Yeah this one is a biggy, though again, it didn’t launch with it at least! ;)

I jest of course, but it is pretty clear these fixes are being rushed out (I think Nate also mentioned he had a really stable experience pre day one patch?) I get why they want them out but man, this is a big one to let through... the kind of thing I have nightmares about. :mellow:

I don't get why in situations like this they don't just release the old patch as a new version, basically a rollback. As a dev whenever I do a deployment I have a corresponding backout to revert to the pre deployment state, I hope they can manage something like that very quickly. 

Just now, Minion said:

I don't get why in situations like this they don't just release the old patch as a new version, basically a rollback. As a dev whenever I do a deployment I have a corresponding backout to revert to the pre deployment state, I hope they can manage something like very quickly. 

Short answer, PlayStation backend and the way it handles patch/remaster packages is ass backwards. They can pull the patch so unpatched versions won’t pull it anymore but they can’t “just” push out the old version as a new version as certain parameters within the package need to point to the right package numbers (so in this case they’d need to point to the just released patch) and that’s mean a whole new set of builds to be made, yay!

Just had a couple of short runs. One in Biome 1 where I quickly ran into my first scout corpse to avenge. Died, of course. A second run where I entered the House for the second time, (creepy) before dying avenging a Scout.

Then a third run which wasn't going so well, but I had a datcube. So I decided to take on Phrike for the first time since I got him down previously, and surprisingly he died. That was nice.

Took myself to world 2, where I found a new something in a short cutscene in the desert I hadn't had before (no idea the significance) and died being an idiot.

I love this game. I'm getting better and more confident. Unlocking the odd permanent boost here and there.

If I don't progress much beyond world 2, which is not impossible, I'm still having good fun for now.

But now to stop, relax and get ready for sleep.

22 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Yikes, hope my save on my nephew's PS5 is okay. Saying that, I was only through Biomes 1 and 2, so not exactly a deal breaker if it's all gone. 

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Yikes, hope my save on my nephew's PS5 is okay. Saying that, I was only through Biomes 1 and 2, so not exactly a deal breaker if it's all gone. 

If you have save backups / haven't been affected you should be fine.

Great to see Housemarque reacting so quickly. 

Apparently they've changed the spaceship heal. You can only use it once and it heals 10%. I don't mind that, it spoils the flow anyway. I do wish the healing was less stingy overall but I guess that's roguelites for you. 

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?