Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

300% integrity, hollowseeker with double portal and quite high damge, 5 parasites, a bunch of heals in my pocket and the boss door facing me, here we go.

B4 is one of my faves actually. I guess the sound design and music play a big part in that. And the boss is just awesome.

As for B3, I always run to the boss at the end when the game bombards you with enemies. You can reach the boss unharmed if you're fast enough.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

The cheeky heal is almost pointless now, it only adds a little since they patched it.

Still rocking 1.3.1 here chap. 8-)

Love this game but it needs a save option desperately and also now really pissed you can’t increase your health back at the ship.  

ffs housemarque how hard are you making this for people who actually have lives which prevent Playing ps5 for 4-5 hours a day!

For the first time ever feel like complaining to Sony for c£50 spent on this digitally 

This game is pure crack. Also starting at the beginning again is actually quite hard, there’s some real rough parts of Biome 1 if you clear the whole thing. I’m trying to do an all bosses run, I know boss 2 will probably stop me. I found him the hardest now that I’ve seen them all. Will need to beef myself up sufficiently. 

Half way through the game and I’ve only just realised you can destroy red projectiles with your sword, I don’t remember it being mentioned in this thread before. I always wondered why the bullets come in two colours, makes sense now, very Ikaruga.

The RNG of the earlier biomes is definitely weighted against you if you’ve made it further. Only at Biome 3, but going through biome 1 at the start of another doomed run, I now routinely get 3 big lockdown areas with energy towers back-to-back, and even the once-friendly yellow-light trapdoor areas have now started spawning an orange mini-boss and a load of purple lasers.

It is a fucking hateful, trolling thing in many ways. :lol:

Question for those who have seen the credits:

Spoiler

I understand each biome now has some sort of collectible that if I get all 6 unlock another / "true" ending? I've been through biomes 1-3 a few times since the credits and found nothing. Am I missing something?

Just now, p1nseeker said:

Hide contents

I understand each biome now has some sort of collectible that if I get all 6 unlock another / "true" ending? I've been through biomes 1-3 a few times since the credits and found nothing. Am I missing something?

Spoiler

I didn't know there was 6 of them  but I did find one of the things you are talking about in Biome one when I found one of those orbs you shoot which produces platforms, and I got up to an area I'd never seen before 

3 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I just found all 6 in a single playthrough. I'm sure they are random, so you really have to search all the rooms. Biomes 2 and 4 the fragments were right near the start for me, yet in biome 5 it was the very last room on the map. They tend to be somewhere you need end game tools to access though in my experience, like a high platform previously unreachable.

2 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Reveal hidden contents

You likely haven't...

Spoiler

...seen all available house sequences, as the items you're referring to don't start appearing until you have. Check the fourth biome: if lights are on in the house you can enter it.

Just now, Ferine said:

You likely haven't...

Reveal hidden contents

...seen all available house sequences, as the items you're referring to don't start appearing until you have. Check the fourth biome: if lights are on in the house you can enter it.

Spoiler

That sounds like that could be the problem. Cheers. 

3 minutes ago, englishbob said:

What does RNG mean?

Random Number Generator. It's basically the likelihood of what shit you get and whether said shit is good or shit. 

Another thing I've learned is not to waste ooblets on shit like reduced cooldowns. The focus is always protection, more health and I always try to keep enough in the bank should the health regeneration on adrenaline gain artefact appear cos that thing is probably the most op item in the game.

2 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Another thing I've learned is not to waste ooblets on shit like reduced cooldowns. The focus is always protection, more health and I always try to keep enough in the bank should the health regeneration on adrenaline gain artefact appear cos that thing is probably the most op item in the game.

Do you have to unlock that artifact? I've never seen it. 

I seem to have lost a post. Gist was that biome 3 is done and I loved it, but I think there should be a shortcut to the boss so you can learn it without investing an hour each time. 

Also said that whilst the first biome has excellent variety, the second and third have been very similar on revisits, which isn't great. Still incredibly fun, though. I have to remind myself that it's about the journey and not the destination, and the journey is almost always non-stop fun with this game. Which is some achievement. 

Boss 2 down without dying, pylon gun is amazing just melted everything in the level and the boss pretty much until his final stage where he actually put up a fight!

53 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I seem to have lost a post. Gist was that biome 3 is done and I loved it, but I think there should be a shortcut to the boss so you can learn it without investing an hour each time. 

Also said that whilst the first biome has excellent variety, the second and third have been very similar on revisits, which isn't great. Still incredibly fun, though. I have to remind myself that it's about the journey and not the destination, and the journey is almost always non-stop fun with this game. Which is some achievement. 

You posted it in the Inside No.9 thread ;)

14 hours ago, englishbob said:

What does RNG mean?

Random Number Generator.

edit: I hadn't seen Bittertoad's reply. :)

Not enjoying Citadel so far, the desert was great mind.

I have some sort of permanent multiplier on some guns. There is a gun that shoots this green shit and it’s a one shot kill. Just watching the flying little bastards curl up then explode is delicious. 

Beat the first boss for the first time with the tiniest amount of life left such a great feeling.

Spoiler

Died in the fight but got a second chance after picking up the Astronaut toy after going in house for first time, was a great run.

Had to put my PS5 into rest mode after entering second biome as no idea how long I’d be playing until I died and it’s getting pretty late, let’s hope there is no updates over next 24hrs.

And done! Incredible game. Full thoughts tomorrow when I've digested. There's so much about how this game has been put together that I love.

Stream I was watching hosted someone playing this and almost immediately I could tell that whoever designed this game clearly loves the kind of games I like. Saw elements of metroid, shumps and run & gun’s over the hour I watched.

I’ve been overlooking PlayStation exclusives as something that won’t interest me but this is a standout. It’s not something I’d have expected from a western triple A title.

Now there’s just the small issue of needing a PS5 to play it.

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?