Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

I was having a halfway decent run last night where I picked up a halfway decent gun, had the artefact for healing at low Integrity, and nothing too major on Malfunctions or Parasites. But, when I got to the Biome 2 level skip to the boss, I wasn't at full health and really wanted a heal and a health pack/astronaut. So I opened the door into the mountain and fucked up that room to the point of dying. Fuck.

And that's Biome 4 done this morning before work. Was easy; the boss was trivial with the Pylon Driver. Fucking loved all of that biome though. I had a good look in Biome 5, and got the permanent suit upgrade from there, but I think I've missed a permanent upgrade from Biome 4. There was a secret area in 5 with a massive chasm, the other side of which had loads of obolite rocks. But I couldn't get to them, there was no grapple point. I've noticed the area across from Selene's House too, I can't get up there either. I'm pretty sure I didn't get the sword until my third run in Biome 1, so I'm guessing I've just been unlucky and need to explore more in Biome 4.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

And that's Biome 4 done this morning before work. Was easy; the boss was trivial with the Pylon Driver. Fucking loved all of that biome though. I had a good look in Biome 5, and got the permanent suit upgrade from there, but I think I've missed a permanent upgrade from Biome 4. There was a secret area in 5 with a massive chasm, the other side of which had loads of obolite rocks. But I couldn't get to them, there was no grapple point. I've noticed the area across from the Selene's House too, I can't get up there either. I'm pretty sure I didn't get the sword until my third run in Biome 1, so I'm guessing I've just been unlucky and need to explore more in Biome 4.

That ability is unlocked very late so you haven't missed it.

Question about the permanent upgrade found in B6.

Spoiler

So I found the upgrade that allows me to see orbs that once shot reveal hidden platforms. Am I wrong for assuming an orb should be in B4 where the house is? So far in B4 I found naught which makes me wonder if the upgrade bugged out.

I've just had a magnificent run.  I've been in b3 maybe four times but never made it to the boss.   This morning I've not only smashed Nemesis the first time, I also made it all the way through b4 and beat Hyperion first time too.   In one run.   

I'm not sure this game is as hard as it thinks it is.

27 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Potential Biome 5 spoilers;

Hide contents

Does biome 5 not have a boss? 

Spoiler

No, it does not have a boss. Bit weird, innit. Wonder if it was cut to get the game out the door, or if that was always the plan.

52 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I've just had a magnificent run.  I've been in b3 maybe four times but never made it to the boss.   This morning I've not only smashed Nemesis the first time, I also made it all the way through b4 and beat Hyperion first time too.   In one run.   

I'm not sure this game is as hard as it thinks it is.

Famous last words.

Everytime I'm doing really , really well the game crashes . Toughest enemy in the game , you never see it coming :lol:

It's annoying but the one more go factor is so strong you can almost forgive it.

Got to Ixion last night for the first time, had him down to third phase, he feels very doable.  If I can get back to him that is, died twice in Biome 1 afterwards :doh:.  48 deaths and counting!

Yeah, I've seen Ixion twice, got him to the third phase both times, but keep fucking up getting back there. Even with the shortcut. Oh well. Improve! Luckily, the core game is fun.

30 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Nice and all but a trailer like this makes it look like a - bear with me - Horizon or a God of War or any third person action adventure. I feel they should have emphasised the core gameplay mechanic more. Like how Lords of the Fallen did, one of the trailers showed the character fighting a boss and dying, fighting same boss again and getting a little bit further only to die again. Admittedly, the whole Soulslike comparison helped a lot setting the tone for that game.

The above trailer looks nice, but I can fully understand people feeling underwhelmed and confused when they hand over 70 quid only to be greeted by this unforgiving rogue-like.

The lack of a way to suspend a run is certainly a hindrance on when I can play the game. I'd quite like to play it now - I've finished work, the wife is doing something. But I don't have any certainty that I can finish when it'll be time to make dinner or whatever. So instead, I don't play it. Nor do I start when it starts getting late. I hope they correct it.

34 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

The lack of a way to suspend a run is certainly a hindrance on when I can play the game. I'd quite like to play it now - I've finished work, the wife is doing something. But I don't have any certainty that I can finish when it'll be time to make dinner or whatever. So instead, I don't play it. Nor do I start when it starts getting late. I hope they correct it.

That has had a lot of (bad) press so if they can patch that in maybe it’ll result in a flourish of new sales.

Are you not willing to use Rest mode, I use it all the time (don’t have Returnal) and have not had any issues, I don’t have an external drive which seems to be related to a lot of Rest mode issues?

13 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'm yet to have a Rest-related crash or anything, so I wouldn't be worried there. Mostly, it's the inability to change game.

Yeah not being able to stop and change game is an arse . I’ve used rest a load of times without issue , but the fact I can’t play anything else mid run is terrible . 

Yeah, rest mode is inadequate as a solution, my lad plays a lot of fortnite on the PS5 and I’ve already lost a couple of runs because he’s jumped on for a game in the morning.  Hopefully they’ll patch a save in.

I imagine trying to patch in mid-run saves must be a nightmare. There must be so many factors that hadn't previously been considered, or old design decisions that need to be reassessed, so even if they decide to do it it's probably weeks off at least.

My hope is that they at least manage to checkpoint people's runs when they first enter a biome. I figure that strips out a lot of variables/potential issues as the player can't backtrack to the previous area – so essentially you're just snapshotting their current inventory/Proficiency – and whilst it isn't as good as a proper save state it would reduce the 'minimum viable session time' considerably.

And that’s the credits. Spoilers for B6 ahead.

Spoiler

Last boss was disappointing. Had a damned good grenade launcher with homing capabilities though.

Story still makes no sense, guess the new cycle explains more.

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'm yet to have a Rest-related crash or anything, so I wouldn't be worried there. Mostly, it's the inability to change game.

Yep agreed, it’s not a great option, I hope they can do something.

It feels like they didn't intend for people to go on these 6 hour runs going into every room and ekeing out 300% health. I think shortcut use is expected and built around, but an awful lot of people just don't play that way. I've seen lots encouraging this approach of fine tooth combing everything every time, whereas I feel that it's counter-intuitive.

4 minutes ago, Timmo said:

It feels like they didn't intend for people to go on these 6 hour runs going into every room and ekeing out 300% health. I think shortcut use is expected and built around, but an awful lot of people just don't play that way. I've seen lots encouraging this approach of fine tooth combing everything every time, whereas I feel that it's counter-intuitive and not intended.

Yeah, agreed. You're better off shortcutting to a boss you almost downed on the previous attempt in good shape with some useful consumables than you are re-doing an entire Biome and possibly running into some fuckery that the game can spring on you when you least expect it.

Thing is on that, even when you watch videos of the developers giving tips and demos, they explicitly encourage some farming of the earlier Biomes. And with RNG being what it is, you may well find a little farming ends up being the whole level.

I do agree it's a bit fruitless. You get the same proficiency whichever route you choose, so that's annoying, but it's being able to buy an eg Astronaut or that Artefact you like, or just a Silphium vial.

Either way, a maintenance outage to Destiny tonight meant a good few goes tonight. Ixion is down. The fucker.

FUUUUUCK!!! Just had a really good run that lasted for 2hrs+, right through to what must have been approaching the end of Biome 3..........and then decided to just run into loads of lasers, one after the other, on a relatively simple platforming section, for no reason at all. As ya do! 

On most games I would have felt like throwing the controller through the TV screen at this point. On Returnal however, I’ve just started another run! Crackers!

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?