Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

I'm way behind, I just killed Phrike today. My PS5 is hooked up where I WFH, so I fired it up after logging off.

Thanks for the advice about buying a large health item - I didn't really need it in the end but popped it in the final phase. It was nice to explore a new area after 7 hours in Biome 1.

I should play this more earlier in the evening rather than before bed!

6 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I am now at a brick wall.

I am in 

Hide contents

Fractured Ruins

and need to get

Hide contents

3 keys to open a door.

I have only managed 1 so far.  I assume I need to do it all in a single run?

Yes, but there is a regen machine in the central hub you can use.

Try and find a weapon that does damage over time while you run away such as Pylon Driver, Rotlgand or  Hollowseeker with portal as they can make those hectic arenas MUCH easier. 

1 hour ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I am now at a brick wall.

I am in 

Reveal hidden contents

Fractured Ruins

and need to get

Reveal hidden contents

3 keys to open a door.

I have only managed 1 so far.  I assume I need to do it all in a single run?

Yes.

So there's 5 rooms right? One locked (forgot what's behind there) and one that leads to the end. Ignore those for now, so three remain: Left, kind of middle, and right.

Spoiler

Left - has a teleport. Out of the three rooms this tends to be the easiest. Kind of the usual map layout so explore a wee bit for upgrades.

Middle - kind of the usual map layout. Some hectic parts so abuse the hell out of the grappling hook.

Right - shortest of all three as it's a Wave room. The third wave can be... oof.

Now, depending on your weapon and experience the third room can in fact be the easiest. There were times where I felt like Doom Slayer, there were times where I felt unable to put a dent in a warm stick of butter.

Different topic, game crashed at the end of B3. Had a 2+ hour run, playing very well with a massive health bar due to ridiculous luck with malignant items. Leech, the more adrenaline the more damage and more neat perks. This was definitely going to be a full clear.

Well, guess not. Fuck this game. Sort your shit out Housemarque, this is getting ridiculous.

Regarding the post ending stuff.

Spoiler

Is there a way to track what Sun Fragments you've got, and from where? I've been thoroughly through Biome 1 twice tonight. Every bloody room, including the one with the white ball for the platforms, but no sun fragment. Thing is I played for an hour last night after I finished the game, but I can't remember if I picked one up or not.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hide contents

Is there a way to track what Sun Fragments you've got, and from where? I've been thoroughly through Biome 1 twice tonight. Every blood room, including the one with the white ball for the platforms, but no sun fragment. Thing is I played for an hour last night after I finished the game, but I can't remember if I picked one up or not.

Yeah, go to the status menu and the descriptions will tell you all the info you need.

1 minute ago, mikeyl said:

Basically had everything I needed to brute force level 3. Did it easy and then level 4 happened! Absolutely traumatised.

A5FA2514-77AA-4056-A2D3-48565FEE5CFC.jpeg

Spoiler

It's time to git gud all over again

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Reveal hidden contents

Is there a way to track what Sun Fragments you've got, and from where? I've been thoroughly through Biome 1 twice tonight. Every bloody room, including the one with the white ball for the platforms, but no sun fragment. Thing is I played for an hour last night after I finished the game, but I can't remember if I picked one up or not.

Spoiler

I had this same problem. If you visit the house in biome 4 you probably have another sequence to go through. They started appearing after that for me. 

7 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Basically had everything I needed to brute force level 3. Did it easy and then level 4 happened! Absolutely traumatised.

A5FA2514-77AA-4056-A2D3-48565FEE5CFC.jpeg

How much time did you spend in 1 & 2 to collect stuff and level up? If I don’t do a lot of 1 and 2 my health isn’t that extended and as soon as tie fighters come out I’m toast.

Last night I spent a good hour twenty just getting to 3. I lasted longer but it’s a slog.

Oh MAN, I almost got Ixion on my first go without even really intending to have it be a proper run at him. Skipped straight out of Biome 1 without levelling anything and ran pretty quickly through core path doors in Crimson Wastes just so I could unlock the shortcut back up the mountain. Rocked up at Ixion with about a third of my health bar left and got him to half way down his last bar before his red impact rings o' doom caught me out one time too many.

I definitely feel like Crimson Wastes and Ixion are an easier proposition than Overgrown Ruins and Phrike. Overall I think my biggest obstacle to really enjoying the game and being enthusiastic about continuing was getting out of the Ruins. I kind of (wrongly, as it turned out) presumed that if I was struggling so much with it that I'd have no chance with the rest of the game.

In Biome 5 and...

Spoiler

The frost... The effing frost! It keeps one-shotting me. :( Sometimes I walk into a room and the lights simply go out.

It's rather annoying, because I quite like the run up to it through 4, but at this rate it's turning it into a slog again.

Did a daily challenge yesterday in Biome 1 with the Rotgland Lobber, and my first instance of audio glitching. And the really horrible noisy digital kind where you can hear the speakers twisting themselves out of shape. Really awful.

So I ran through the thing to the end for my 5 Ether. Not a great score.

26 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Oh MAN, I almost got Ixion on my first go without even really intending to have it be a proper run at him. Skipped straight out of Biome 1 without levelling anything and ran pretty quickly through core path doors in Crimson Wastes just so I could unlock the shortcut back up the mountain. Rocked up at Ixion with about a third of my health bar left and got him to half way down his last bar before his red impact rings o' doom caught me out one time too many.

I definitely feel like Crimson Wastes and Ixion are an easier proposition than Overgrown Ruins and Phrike. Overall I think my biggest obstacle to really enjoying the game and being enthusiastic about continuing was getting out of the Ruins. I kind of (wrongly, as it turned out) presumed that if I was struggling so much with it that I'd have no chance with the rest of the game.

Keep playing. Get to Biome 4. Unlock Electropylon Driver. Never use another weapon. Breeze through rest of game.

That's my experience with the game. :)

2 hours ago, p1nseeker said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I had this same problem. If you visit the house in biome 4 you probably have another sequence to go through. They started appearing after that for me. 

Thanks for that, I had resorted to several guides, all of which have conflicting information.[POST GAME SPOILERS]

Spoiler

One of them said you need to enter the house in the Overgrown Ruins to access an audio log and only then are the fragments unlocked. Overgrown Ruins is Biome 1. 

Biome 4 is Echoing Ruins. :facepalm: Two hours wasted last night. 

1 hour ago, mexos said:

How much time did you spend in 1 & 2 to collect stuff and level up? If I don’t do a lot of 1 and 2 my health isn’t that extended and as soon as tie fighters come out I’m toast.

Last night I spent a good hour twenty just getting to 3. I lasted longer but it’s a slog.

I basically clear out the biomes before moving on. Due to minor OCD and cowardice. About 40 minutes a biome maybe. I don’t mind as the core gameplay and exploration is so good and in no rush to complete. Definitely didn’t need half that bar tho, got a lucky run which turned damage into health so every pickup was a health extension and was jizz lobbing the tie fighters with one shot. 

What an odd experience I’ve had with this. Until this year I’d never have thought about picking up something that I knew was ‘git gud’ but after taking a punt on  Souls on PS5 I got the bug and went through Nioh 2 and Sekiro, finished all and loved them. A whole world of learning the game opened up to me, and I finally got the appeal. So figured this would be for me. 

On my third ‘go’ I smashed through the first biome and with a spaceman killed Shrike first time. Died a bit of the way through Biome 2. Great stuff thought I, ’not that hard’ This is brilliant. I now realise I must have on my 3rd attempt got a god roll RNG on everything. Because I cannot for the life of me even get to the 2nd biome boss. And 30 odd deaths later I’m not sure I’ve in anyway learned anything. I just end up being overwhelmed normally by jumping sword git inside the building. And I just find the amount of time it takes to get back there just joy sapping for me.  

Sekiro is hard as hell (or at least it was for me) but I felt I was learning how to beat it. Whereas I just don’t get that same vibe from this. I guess the other soulsbourne games don’t require twitch reflexes rather just learning attack patterns,  and I guess placement of mobs. With this the random factor it seems my feeble brain can’t cope with nor my fingers and thumbs. And the time spent in Biome 1 to level up just feels like work to me now as I know I'll likely meet a sticky end after 30 odd mins.

Shame as I loved it to begin with… adore the setting and totally get how others are loving it. But progressively the novelty has worn off for me, and the thought of endlessly going through the same 1 and 3/4 locations (albeit slightly moved around) just isn't for me. Maybe I'll be inspired to return(al) one day but not I think for a while. 

Conversely, once I got to Biome 4 I found the game got significantly easier (thanks in large part to a specific weapon). Whereas with Sekiro I gave up at that bastard cunting giant fucking Ape. If I could have summoned, like in Bloodborne and Souls, then I reckon I'd have continued on. Not to be. Fuck that game.

For me, Returnal isn't anywhere near the difficulty of From's Soulsborne games. 

2 hours ago, mikeyl said:

I basically clear out the biomes before moving on. Due to minor OCD and cowardice. About 40 minutes a biome maybe. I don’t mind as the core gameplay and exploration is so good and in no rush to complete. Definitely didn’t need half that bar tho, got a lucky run which turned damage into health so every pickup was a health extension and was jizz lobbing the tie fighters with one shot. 

I just did this approach and died stupidly without even reaching 3 :doh:

I'm getting really, really tired of daily challenge attempts being scrubbed due to bugs. I've only tried challenges six times and have had three crashes - two being a game that is still running but with an entirely blank screen, the other being a proper full crash to home screen. All count as failed runs and that is incredibly irritating.

It's still in the running as game of the year, and I am still unable to put it down, but the bugs are really souring the mood.

2 hours ago, mikeyl said:

I do this every time too.

As a consequence I am still only up to Biome 3 despite putting a huge number of hours in as I can (happily) spend an hour or two going through the whole of Biome 1 before jumping to 3. I have now prolonged that even further by adding Biome 2 as well but usually skip the bits inside the mountain and jump straight to the top. I still usually die very quickly in Biome 3 as the bow ties and that room after all the lasers are a PITA.

Regarding the Bow Tie Fighters in Biome 3. My tactic was to always expect them, and to try and have an escape route back to an area I have cleared (lockdown permitting) pre planned when heading into a new area. That way, if I see a load of them coming ... 

tenor.gif

And then try and pick them off from a distance, or force them into a choke point like a narrow doorway or something.

Weird Trophy issue for those who finished the game.

Spoiler

The day before yesterday I killed the final boss Ophion. No Trophy popped which I thought was unusual. I sat through the ending and the Trophy Act 1 unlocked. Cool. Back in the spaceship I use the machine in the unlocked room and I'm back at the very beginning.

Just now I booted the game and thought of using that machine again which made me start from B4. Ok, I see what they're doing. I play through B4, 5 and 6, kill the final boss Ophion and now the Trophy pops. And after the same ending I unlocked the Act 2 Trophy.

:unsure:

So, uhm. What? B4, 5 and 6 were the exact same with no sun shards or events at the house. B1, 2 and 3 were definitely different, for one there's now sun shards to collect.

I'm tapping out for now, after another run which saw all the health upgrades in b3 either underwater or behind a yellow shield, neither of which I can access yet. I really don't rate rng like this. 

22 minutes ago, df0 said:

Weird Trophy issue for those who finished the game.

Reveal hidden contents

The day before yesterday I killed the final boss Ophion. No Trophy popped which I thought was unusual. I sat through the ending and the Trophy Act 1 unlocked. Cool. Back in the spaceship I use the machine in the unlocked room and I'm back at the very beginning.

Just now I booted the game and thought of using that machine again which made me start from B4. Ok, I see what they're doing. I play through B4, 5 and 6, kill the final boss Ophion and now the Trophy pops. And after the same ending I unlocked the Act 2 Trophy.

:unsure:

So, uhm. What? B4, 5 and 6 were the exact same with no sun shards or events at the house. B1, 2 and 3 were definitely different, for one there's now sun shards to collect.

I had the same trophy issue, but it didn't affect the collectables at all. Maybe they just didn't turn up on that run?

4 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I'm tapping out for now, after another run which saw all the health upgrades in b3 either underwater or behind a yellow shield, neither of which I can access yet. I really don't rate rng like this. 

Underwater:

Spoiler

permanent upgrade you find later

Yellow shield:

Spoiler

a relatively cheap temp upgrade that increases melee damage, available at the "shop".

5 minutes ago, imp said:

I had the same trophy issue, but it didn't affect the collectables at all. Maybe they just didn't turn up on that run?

So you found shards in B4, 5 and 6?

24 minutes ago, df0 said:

Underwater:

Reveal hidden contents

permanent upgrade you find later

Yellow shield:

Hide contents

a relatively cheap temp upgrade that increases melee damage, available at the "shop".

Also re Yellow shield:

Spoiler

I've found the alt fire Doomshot deals with them - maybe some other alt fires also do as well

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?