Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Pretty much pulled an all nighter on this last night. Had two 3hr runs back to the final part of Biome 3 again......

and died both times. BOOOO!!! But then I had another run and finally made it to the boss. YAAAAY!!! Only to realise there is no portal shortcut to it, and you actually have to do half the fucking level each time to get back to it!. BOOOO!!! But I found an incredibly powerful Spitmaw that was smashing stuff up, so fancied my chances against the big guy. YAAAAY!!! So, I took the boss on, to find out the Spitmaw has all the stopping power of a water pistol against it. I died....again.. BOOOO!!! 

I’ve now spent something like 12hrs trying to get to the boss and beat it on Biome 3. What. The. Actual.  Fuck.

I was having an amazing run through biome 2 yesterday and was pretty tanked up with health, an astronaut, and had powered up the resurrector thing.

More importantly I had 4 ground spikes, which seem to knock about 80% of the health bar off of the Severeds. So I was feeling pretty confident. Picked up a carbine with the high calibre perk, and entered the next room where I proceeded to get attacked by three of the tentacled... lizard things, and a Severed.

Things that I then learnt:

1 - High calibre carbines are useless against multiple enemies up close

2 - When repeatedly tapping L1 and wondering why nothing is happening, always check that you haven't accidentally selected the wrong consumable....

So that's the astronaut gone, plus the resurrector. But at least I'm now at the boss door...

Is anyone else seeing any corpses to avenge? Is that still switched off for everyone?

In the brief window that they were switched on – with the release of the malignant, save-destroying update – I ran across numerous other players' corpses. It's a shame they haven't reactivated them yet as I found they were another means of getting good weapon drops; I chose to spawn and fight a mini boss every time, but presumably you'd get the same loot in exchange for Ether instead.

3 hours ago, Mike S said:

I do this every time too.

As a consequence I am still only up to Biome 3 despite putting a huge number of hours in as I can (happily) spend an hour or two going through the whole of Biome 1 before jumping to 3. I have now prolonged that even further by adding Biome 2 as well but usually skip the bits inside the mountain and jump straight to the top. I still usually die very quickly in Biome 3 as the bow ties and that room after all the lasers are a PITA.

By clearing out everything, you’ll eventually get some OP powerup which will put you in good shape for level 3.

Level 3 is the biggest hump, after that you’re getting some wild perks and guns. Breezed through to the end of level 6 on the second restart after. For those disheartened or intimated, everything is totally doable. You can either Get Gud or Get some time to invest on buying enough vials to brute force the thing.

Got to the Biome 3 boss for the first time. Dead in less than a minute (including my spaceman resurrection).

Had an amazing Level 14 Lobber that had decimated everything up to that point too.

I'll be back!

2 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

By clearing out everything, you’ll eventually get some OP powerup which will put you in good shape for level 3.

Level 3 is the biggest hump, after that you’re getting some wild perks and guns. Breezed through to the end of level 6 on the second restart after. For those disheartened or intimated, everything is totally doable. You can either Get Gud or Get some time to invest on buying enough vials to brute force the thing.

Haha!

See my post above!

6 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

A medium vial is better than 1 astronaut. F that astronaut!

I had that too. 

I had everything as I am VERY thorough in Biome 1.

All that pissing about with the lasers and the room with the urgent giant robots does not put me in a good mood for the boss fight. 

Just done a quick test......

To get back to the tower on Biome 3, without picking much stuff up and avoiding some fights it takes 22mins. TWENTYFUCKINGTWO minutes!!! Of course I died again as the Tie Fighter cunts came out in force. So, to get back to the boss, it’s probably around 35mins at best......THIRTYFUCKINGFIVE minutes!!! And that’s on a shit build, which means the boss will be waaaaaay harder. 

I  fairly recently finished Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls. I was complaining about 3min runs to bosses! Lol. Even so, I didn’t think they were particularly difficult games. This on the other hand seems ludicrously difficult. Absolutely love it but it’s pushing its luck now. Having to spend 1 and a half hrs repeating a run, just to have another go at a boss is pretty fucking nuts. 

Just now, CrichStand said:

Just done a quick test......

To get back to the tower on Biome 3, without picking much stuff up and avoiding some fights it takes 22mins. TWENTYFUCKINGTWO minutes!!! Of course I died again as the Tie Fighter cunts came out in force. So, to get back to the boss, it’s probably around 35mins at best......THIRTYFUCKINGFIVE minutes!!! And that’s on a shit build, which means the boss will be waaaaaay harder. 

I  fairly recently finished Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls. I was complaining about 3min runs to bosses! Lol. Even so, I didn’t think they were particularly difficult games. This on the other hand seems ludicrously difficult. Absolutely love it but it’s pushing its luck now. Having to spend 1 and a half hrs repeating a run, just to have another go at a boss is pretty fucking nuts. 

I am still happy enough just playing the Biomes for fun, rather than making too much effort pushing on with bosses. It's the journey not the destination!

I do not like the bow ties at all though. 

Having just finished a two hour plus run, had my very rapid death at my first encounter with the Biome 3 boss, and turned the PS5 off (with no anger/rage quit feelings at all). I am now sitting here already wanting to play again even though I have real world things to do. This game has an unbelievable grip on me...

It definitely needs a save system. The PS5 is just now just a Returnal rest mode machine and have to do everything else on the Xbox at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Having just finished a two hour plus run, had my very rapid death at my first encounter with the Biome 3 boss, and turned the PS5 off (with no anger/rage quit feelings at all). I am now sitting here already wanting to play again even though I have real world things to do. This game has an unbelievable grip on me...

That’s been me the last few days! I’ve just been jumping straight back in and restarting another run and enjoying the challenge. Also been exploring the areas and going for 100% on each one which has been fun. After finally getting to the Biome 3 boss after 12hrs of trying and seeing what it’s asking me to do though, all in one run, that would probably take at least an hour and a half to get back to with decent kit, and chances are I’ll die on the boss as I don’t know it’s attack patterns......I just feel a bit........”er, yeah, fuck that”! 

Really not getting how to handle the Tie Fighter flying robot twats. Their attacks seem almost impossible to avoid. 2 hits and I’m dead even with loads of health. I’ve started cheesing them from behind doors they’re that annoying! Lol. Problem is, when they appear out of nowhere on the bridge and surround you. Billy Bullshit! Hahaha.

Really not getting how to handle the Tie Fighter flying robot twats. Their attacks seem almost impossible to avoid. 2 hits and I’m dead even with loads of health. I’ve started cheesing them from behind doors they’re that annoying! Lol. Problem is, when they appear out of nowhere on the bridge and surround you. Billy Bullshit! Hahaha.

Tie Fighter Robots: Strafe. Keep constantly moving horizontally and they can't hit you. Obviously this needs a fair bit of space to do so get a good idea for what kind of room you're in and then just keep looping around it safely. Also, spread your fire. It might seem better to have less Tie's to deal with but you can stagger them into not shooting if you hit them so it's better to try and hit as many of them as much as possible. 

They're bastards though. It's definitely worth trying to get to grips with them because this might not be the last time you'll see them... 

1 minute ago, BitterToad said:

Tie Fighter Robots: Strafe. Keep constantly moving horizontally and they can't hit you. Obviously this needs a fair bit of space to do so get a good idea for what kind of room you're in and then just keep looping around it safely. Also, spread your fire. It might seem better to have less Tie's to deal with but you can stagger them into not shooting if you hit them so it's better to try and hit as many of them as much as possible. 

They're bastards though. It's definitely worth trying to get to grips with them because this might not be the last time you'll see them... 

Cheers for the help dude! I’m dashing out of the way to one side just before the missiles hit, but the last missile always seems to clip me, as if the dash isn’t long enough. Should I just be running to the side? Main problem for me is when they appear on the bridge, which seems to be random, as they surround me and I then don’t seem to be able do anything. Now going to have to have another crack at them just to see if I can avoid their fire better. 

Not the last time I’ll see them? Oh, for fuck’s sake!

Also, how do you break the door shields on Biome 1? I can break the shields on other levels using the sword but on Biome 1 it does nothing. What am I missing? 

The yellow energy walls? 

You need the blade enhancing perk from the shop/some random machine which has also worked on Biome 2 for me. Not seen any such doors in Biome 3 yet... 

7 minutes ago, Mike S said:

The yellow energy walls? 

You need the blade enhancing perk from the shop/some random machine which has also worked on Biome 2 for me. Not seen any such doors in Biome 3 yet... 

Yeah, for some reason I thought I’d got a permanent upgrade early in the game that allowed me to break them! Thanks for clearing that up for me! 

25 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

I’m dashing out of the way to one side just before the missiles hit, but the last missile always seems to clip me, as if the dash isn’t long enough.

So I was doing this but there are too many missiles to dodge as you say, you stagger slightly at the end of the animation and that's when the missiles hit. Just keep strafing. It seems counter intuitive but it kind of worked for me!

Has there ever been a game where you’re so utterly terrified of a power cut? Feels very precarious leaving it suspended in rest mode on a deep run. 

Finally started using the Gnarled Gobbler or whatever it’s called. It’s devastating the biome 3 fellas. 

I don't think I'll ever remotely like the Gobbler - charge weapons and I do not mix.

The Grenade launcher, that's my one true love. Tis a bit rubbish in the early levels but later on when it can have homing capabilities and additional projectiles... :wub:

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

Yeah, for some reason I thought I’d got a permanent upgrade early in the game that allowed me to break them! Thanks for clearing that up for me! 

You kind of did. The blade destroys red vine walls and is permanent, the yellow shields require an item from the shop.

I do not know who it was, but someone in this thread mentioned it a dozen or so pages back and I do not think anybody here knew :hmm:

Back into Act 2, after a corrupted save ate my previous progress. However, (get your pearls ready for clutching), I ‘cheated’ (dev mode) to get there this time with a couple of consecutive clearances of biome 1 to beef up my WP, my health and artefacts first. Nice to be able to get back to where I was, having failed to do so repeatedly by legit means due to rotten RNG and low skill ceiling. Try not to hate/pity me too much. 

There's as far as I can tell no immediate need to update, so stick with the dev mode to give yourself a cracking weapon and get exploring. With the frequent crashes the dev mode makes the game much more tolerable.

edit: I updated when the latest patch was confirmed safe. No wiped saves and all that, prior to that I was running the dev mode and only used it to roll weapons. Don't even know what else is possible with it.

YMMV, but before they removed the dev mode I experienced 0 crashes. They removed the dev mode and I experience crashes.

CURIOUS :sherlock:

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?