Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

32 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Although, if it's crashes impeding your progress...

Lol, no. It’s been a catastrophic lack of skill that’s impeded my progress. But the early-game ‘DLC’ unlock EP Driver and a wee bit of cheeky Integrity grinding has capably bridged that gap.

@CrichStand I was having the same problem with the Missile cunts in Biome 3 until I started dashing TOWARD and through the missile barrages, provided there was space. I may have been going under the missiles rather than through them but whatever happened it was a lot more effective than strafing in areas where you are usually on a bridge or a limited platform. That and staggering them has me not fearing them at all now. The weapon you have is a huge factor too. If I have the Pistol, Carbine or Hollowseeker I can take them out fairly quickly but anything else I find just isn’t well suited to aerial enemies.

Biome 3 is laughing at me hysterically at the moment. I’ve unlocked what I think is an in Biome shortcut (bridge) but haven’t made it back to it yet, with my best reaching a series of rooms modelled after the vault in Mission Impossible 1.

Returnal is likely my GOTY and that’s with the best parts of it still to play I think. However, I will never understand why the shortcuts don’t simply become part of the first room you go into in Biome 1 after you open them. It wouldn’t discourage people who wanted to explore the early Biomes to power up but it would completely remove the frustration that comes with never actually knowing where your fucking shortcut is going to appear. It’s a minor grievance but it’s probably the only thing that is holding me back from seeing Returnal as a perfect video game. 

I have no doubt when I get past Biome 3 (and I fucking will) none of that is going to matter but right now for me and for lots of other players this feels like a simple thing that would only have improved everything about this stage of the game.

Holy shitbags.

I got all the way to the orange marker in 3. And then it’s just a shit fest. I’m freaking out! I’m literally talking, shouting and screaming like a 5 year at the TV. Yeah you think it can’t get any more intense. Game narrator: HAVE SOME OF THIS.

It feels like the bit in Aliens where Hudson gets it. He’s a killing machine, until he’s not.

That run took 3 h o u r s. My blood is now like jelly and I have to somehow now get some sleep. I am assuming there is a boss after all that too?! Crivens.

@mexos Tonight I went through most of Biome 3 and did the boss ... for fun. ;) It's a good boss fight, arguably the toughest.

Tonight I got lucky in that I had a parasite that gave me a chance to keep a consumable after using it. I used my large heal and it let me use it a second time. I fucking needed it! However, for that particular fight I'd recommend what I had when I did him the first time, the ability to regenerate health when low, that's really useful for the final stage of the Biome 3 boss fight. So if that's an option, either via a parasite or an augment, get it.

I've only got one more thing to do in the post credits stuff now I think. Hell of a fucking game, will take something really special to top this for my GOTY.

My pre-breakfast run this morning game me two amazing upgrades that I hadn't seen before.  One that gave me a chance to repair on killing enemies, and one that repaired me based on damage done/adrenaline level.  The combo of those two would have really helped with boss 3, had I managed to make it out of biome 1 alive.  Motherfucking game.

This morning I did that one more thing, only to find I have another thing to do. Think that should be the last unless I plan on finding all the glyphs.

After my 66th death in Biome 3 I uninstalled the game, played it pre patch and did it on my first go. Even though I lost my 2nd consumable slot for some reason, that didn't compare to the abundance of health items, drunk enemies and cheaper upgrades. 175 instead of 250 for a large health yes please, 30% integrity upgrade instead of 25% oh go on then. Start of Biome 3 ooh free large health kit instead of minor? I'll take it!

Those tie fighters casually swan about without a care in the world . The aggro is way down , it's a complete cake walk compared to last night's efforts. Tons more obolites and they stay around for far longer too. 

IMG_20210514_101805.jpg

IMG_20210514_101751.jpg

Looks like a few others noticed some differences too

https://www.reddit.com/r/Returnal/comments/n6fby1/did_anyone_feel_like_the_game_got_harder_after/

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

This morning I did that one more thing, only to find I have another thing to do. Think that should be the last unless I plan on finding all the glyphs.

Ahaha I did the exact same thing I reckon. 

40 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

After my 66th death in Biome 3 I uninstalled the game, played it pre patch and did it on my first go. Even though I lost my 2nd consumable slot for some reason, that didn't compare to the abundance of health items, drunk enemies and cheaper upgrades. 175 instead of 250 for a large health yes please, 30% integrity upgrade instead of 25% oh go on then. Start of Biome 3 ooh free large health kit instead of minor? I'll take it!

Those tie fighters casually swan about without a care in the world . The aggro is way down , it's a complete cake walk compared to last night's efforts. Tons more obolites and they stay around for far longer too. 

IMG_20210514_101805.jpg

IMG_20210514_101751.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Returnal/comments/n6fby1/did_anyone_feel_like_the_game_got_harder_after/

Is this not because the game adapts to how you progress? I definitely feel like if I fail on L1 then it gives me a bit more next go. If I have a good run, L1 seems harder next go. 

43 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

IMG_20210514_101805.jpg

IMG_20210514_101751.jpg

Sounds a bit boring.  Game reviewer mode?

11 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Not as boring as running through Biome 1 for the 67th time i assure you

Fair point. It could do with a difficulty select. 

Biome 1 is a completely different prospect once you unlock other Biomes and it’s nothing to do with patches IMO, it’s the game making sure you are always on your toes now that you are at [INSERT BIOME] level.

A difficulty select would remove a lot of what makes the pull of constantly going back in so fun and appealing. The answer to any issues I have found is simply making it quicker to get to the higher Biomes once you unlock them. I have no problem having to spend hours in the new Biome I am trying to beat but at least make it entirely optional how much you have to replay before getting there.

Having spent 60+ hours with this now I'm finding it pretty easy to clear each and every biome bosses included, I know that's because I have no life but I almost want a hard mode now! I at least want more, I take it there's no news on dlc or anything?

11 minutes ago, Minion said:

Having spent 60+ hours with this now I'm finding it pretty easy to clear each and every biome bosses included, I know that's because I have no life but I almost want a hard mode now! I at least want more, I take it there's no news on dlc or anything?

Lots of people on the discord asking for "Hero mode", i.e. harder enemies earlier, revenge bullets. 

Just now, Hylian said:

Lots of people on the discord asking for "Hero mode", i.e. harder enemies earlier, revenge bullets. 

See that sounds good! I even love fighting the tie fighters everyone talks about, shotgun to the face for those fuckers. For everything in fact!

I would love that hero mode for b1-3 at least. Or at least let me go in with level 30 weapons and adjust enemy health bars accordingly. I like playing those areas but am bored of not having the fun weapons!

32 minutes ago, Minion said:

Yes, I ran from the start to 5 with no issues after finishing the game. 5 is a fucker, though, if you don't have the right weapon. Also a bit frustrating

Spoiler

losing all the hard work I invested into 1-3. I had an amazing build!

1 hour ago, Hylian said:

I had a run yesterday where I had the "enemies counter all attacks" malfunction for ages and it was amazing! Every enemy was a threat. I wish more malfunctions were focused on making enemies harder instead of crippling you. 

10 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I had a run yesterday where I had the "enemies counter all attacks" malfunction for ages and it was amazing! Every enemy was a threat. I wish more malfunctions were focused on making enemies harder instead of crippling you. 

Yeah, I had that on my second run of the Biome 3 boss. I needed Obolites to buy some stuff before heading to the fight. The only room I had left to get said Obolites was the challenge room :lol:

The boss was quite relaxing by comparison.

1 hour ago, Minion said:

I think there will be DLC eventually, but nothing is set in stone yet.

Totally brute forced the end credits first time on the boss.  Had some ridiculous hangover shakes and fell off the last platform on the way there because my nerves were so shredded. Reports that this game is too hard were exaggerated. Amazing story too. 

10 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Totally brute forced the end credits first time on the boss.  Had some ridiculous hangover shakes and fell off the last platform on the way there because my nerves were so shredded. Reports that this game is too hard were exaggerated. Amazing story too. 

Something I would say as well is that, contrary to belief that persistent upgrades in this game are minimal, weapon perks are really significant and levelling them is persistent. The game becomes much easier when you get perks like leech rounds or anything that causes damage over time. 

The introduction to B4 was brilliant. Completely not what I was expecting yet...what I should have expected all along. Itching to get back to it after work.

One other thing I noticed that was if you were caught in the eyes of the big monsters in B3 with the latest patch, the light turns red but nothing happens.

On the unpatched version they shoot a planet sized purple laser at you. 

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?