Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

So this game is now just ridiculous for me. Open the F I R S T door on 1 outside of the ship and it's 10 Kerberon immediately. Next room Lamiadon all over the place, not just 3, like 3 or 4 waves of 3.

And now those flying little bastards that shoot the blue balls. Well the laser is on me immediately. And the next. And the next. Come on. 

Since I got pretty far into 3 one time the level of slog and toughness of 1 and 2 has gone up two fold. WTF.

8 minutes ago, mexos said:

So this game is now just ridiculous for me. Open the F I R S T door on 1 outside of the ship and it's 10 Kerberon immediately. Next room Lamiadon all over the place, not just 3, like 3 or 4 waves of 3.

And now those flying little bastards that shoot the blue balls. Well the laser is on me immediately. And the next. And the next. Come on. 

Since I got pretty far into 3 one time the level of slog and toughness of 1 and 2 has gone up two fold. WTF.

Quick tip for the laser enemies - prioritise them. A single shot of any kind cancels the attack immediately. 

2 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Quick tip for the laser enemies - prioritise them. A single shot of any kind cancels the attack immediately. 

Oh yeah I'm doing that, it's fine when there a just a few... I've got 5 or 6 things firing at me at the same time and I'm on a platform with death falls around me and I only just started and I'm wondering what the f!

I'm not that keen on 6 I must say, I did a 1-3 all bosses last night and continued just now with 4 & 5 all bosses. I've got a level 19 spitmaw with high damage that I picked up in 4 and cleared 5 with, just did the encounter room without taking damage (I have resin shield so the few times I took a hit I just picked up a resion) it's immense! But I fear going into the

Spoiler

water

with this build, lets see shall we.

What is the best gun for the third boss? My 12 level Hollowseeker hardly seemed to scratch it. even with x2 full health bars I was toast early into the second phase.

The default pistol outside the boss room is totally fine for the third boss, it does a lot more damage than you'd expect and has the perfect alt-fire mode. The Hollowseeker, as mentioned, is utterly useless against it on the other hand.

Having gone through 1 & 2, Biome 3 is still kicking my ass. I had a room with multiple tie fighters (firing missiles and rings) plus turrets plus lumbering dude who also fires out rings. It was too much to keep track of.  

Anyone got any tips for this biome?

I finished this last week, even in a year with Monster Hunter and Hitman 3 it's Game of the Year by some distance. But I'm done with it for now. Went on an all rooms all bosses run of 1-3 today that took at least two and a half hours and the game fucking bugged out right before finishing Biome 3. I had incredible gear and was shredding through shit only to basically have the run cut short because the game I paid £70 for is still bugged two weeks after release. 

It's your classic "cleared out a challenge room only for the game to not think I've cleared out a challenge room" bug. Obviously in any other game I'd simply load a previous save and leave the room that way but Housemarque were too pig-headed to put a save system of any kind in so that's impossible. 

Returnal will be one of the best games on the PS5 at the end of its lifespan, when it's had some kind of saving patched in that doesn't rely on rest mode, its bugs patched out, and it costs £50 less than it currently does. But what's there at the moment is a really great feeling game that will occasionally waste your afternoon, and for what they're charging for it that just isn't good enough. 

Had an unfortunate crash too in B6, did B4 then straight into B5 with an awesome carbine with leech rounds, got deep into B6 against some kind of my miniboss and it locked up. :( I'll get back on it tomorrow 

8 hours ago, tobert said:

Anyone got any tips for this biome?

Biggest tip for biome 3, especially the rooms just before the boss with all the big boys, is unless its in a lockdown, just run through it.

The other tip is to swing/grapple away from trouble, back the way you came, and kite stuff in manageable groups.

I’m still in Biome 4, but I think my biggest single tip for anyone starting out on this would be when the game offers you a weapon with a locked trait, take it.

Even if you hate the weapon. As soon as you unlock the trait, swap to another weapon you’ve discovered with a locked trait. Just keep doing that as you play. It makes later runs soo much easier.

What’s your one top tip?

1 minute ago, jonamok said:

I’m still in Biome 4, but I think my biggest single tip for anyone starting out on this would be when the game offers you a weapon with a locked trait, take it.

Even if you hate it. As soon as you unlock the trait, swap to another weapon you’ve discovered with a locked trait. Just keep doing that as you play. It makes later runs soo much easier.

What’s your one top tip?

Bind jump to L1, dodge to R1, melee to R3, consumable to square. Feels completely natural and means you never have to be off the sticks when it matters. 

Just beat Biome 4 boss on the second attempt. He is indeed an audiovisual high point. Really well done, and surprisingly easy - even for me.

But bloody hell, Biome 5 is a crazy difficulty spike. Every main avenue is a nightmare, and the longish run back through a suddenly toughened-up biome 4, is a bit of a chore.

Edit: Question - are the individual biome 5 Hadal Keys permanent? I.e. if you die with one or two in your possession do you respawn with them, or do you have to find all three on one run?

16 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Just beat Biome 4 boss on the second attempt. He is indeed an audiovisual high point. Really well done, and surprisingly easy - even for me.

But bloody hell, Biome 5 is a crazy difficulty spike. Every main avenue is a nightmare, and the longish run back through a suddenly toughened-up biome 4, is a bit of a chore.

Edit: Question - are the individual biome 5 Hadal Keys permanent? I.e. if you die with one or two in your possession do you respawn with them, or do you have to find all three on one run?

Biome 5 made me want to give up! Until I learnt how to use the Electropylon gun. That plus Adrenaline Leech makes things a lot easier.

I did - teleport room > middle path > wave room, so that I was at my strongest for the wave room. But actually, with the Electroplyon it wasnt even that tough, as you just keep moving around and the room has plenty of space.

3 hours ago, Timmo said:

Trophies are busted on this for me, I've achieved lots of them that just haven't unlocked. 

Same - was hoping on using the survey achievements to pinpoint missing glyphs and logs - but can't really rely on them for accuracy now.

And biome 5 down too. Also special mention to that bit in the house where she

Spoiler

plays Don’t Fear the Reaper. Such a good use of the track. :wub:

Biome 6 is interesting.

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?