Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

I honestly cannot believe how much I love this game. Nothing in the previews I saw made it seem like my kind of game at all and I'd never played anything by Housemarque before. I ordered it on disc thinking that I could enjoy some pretty graphics, get frustrated with the difficulty and sell it on before the price drops but I've just had the credits roll after 25 hours. 

I had a similar experience to a lot of people here in that it took a while and a lot of deaths to get through the first 3 levels, but then once Nemesis went down I ended up powering through the second half really quickly. 

Very minor post-game stuff:

Spoiler

I went straight back in to see all the new areas I could access with all my fancy new gear and ended up going straight through the whole of Act 1, killing every boss and exploring everywhere I could. It really makes you appreciate how much the game forces you to improve when you go back and absolutely steamroller the early bosses that gave you so much trouble first time around. 

I thought there would be one of those platform-generating orbs outside Selene's house in the first level to get up to the little area opposite the house that I've never been able to reach but there was nothing there. How do you get up there? 

@Pungee 

Spoiler

Go back to the house in Biome 4.

Not spoileroing that because it's something everyone should know post game. 

Edit: And then I realised it's still a mid-game spoiler, sorry folks.

Credits are rolling. Fuck me that particular run was brutal , just managed the boss by the skin of my teeth. I haven't gritted my teeth and held my pad so tight in any game in years ! 

Ending 

Spoiler

As soon as I saw the car in the water I was thinking Silent Hill 2 vibes but was not expecting the kid to be with me too :(

And that's the credits rolling for a second time. @imp would be proud, I did the final boss with the jizzlobber.

That's everything other than trophies for collecting all the glyphs, which I don't care about. Absolutely immense game. 

19 hours ago, Thor said:

@Pungee 

Reveal hidden contents

Go back to the house in Biome 4.

Not spoileroing that because it's something everyone should know post game. 

Edit: And then I realised it's still a mid-game spoiler, sorry folks.

Very minor post-game stuff about the house:

Spoiler

I went back to the house in level 4 but nothing happened! There’s a translation thing outside that I need more ciphers to work out but the lights are off and nothing I can interact with. What should happen here? Am I missing an intro to the sun face fragments because I already collected a couple before going back there? 

Also seemingly still no way to get up to that area opposite even though I have all the upgrades  

Bloody hell Biome 6 is still kicking my soggy arse. If it’s not a green-tower lockdown room with multiple well-armoured firework spheres and dozens of suicide squiddies, it’s an enclosed space with a rock-hard miniboss. Still haven’t got anywhere near the boss and I’m proper tooled up with auto fire rockets, or a WP27 hollowseeker with wave, portal beam and serrated blades. Still get battered.

Kudos to all of you who waltzed through it, but it feels harder to me than 3 or 5. Which I guess is what you’d expect as the last area.

41 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Bloody hell Biome 6 is still kicking my soggy arse. If it’s not a green-tower lockdown room with multiple well-armoured firework spheres and dozens of suicide squiddies, it’s an enclosed space with a rock-hard miniboss. Still haven’t got anywhere near the boss and I’m proper tooled up with auto fire rockets, or a WP27 hollowseeker with wave, portal beam and serrated blades. Still get battered.

Kudos to all of you who waltzed through it, but it feels harder to me than 3 or 5. Which I guess is what you’d expect as the last area.

Protection is a key factor, I found. It's inevitable that you're going to get hit, so when you do it's advantageous to have the impact of those hits limited. Your protection stat is what helps with that. One key artefact to bolster protection is the two way radio, it ups your protection based on the amount of ether you have. Also, every time you have the option of increasing protection by 10%, do it if you can. 

Well just bloody wasted another 2 hours building up in 1&2 just to get arse kicked yet again with a ton of sodding flying robots in 3.

I just can’t afford to spend this amount of time for nothing despite how much I enjoy playing this.  

Going to wait for a save facility of some kind as I only get 4-5 hours a week gaming.

Level 3 is just a joke.  

Any tips on best gun for level 3 robots?  

Just to be clear I am enjoying this but just getting fed up of building character up and then bam all gone.  

If I was young single and no commitments then bring it on but family, job, etc etc this is cruel game without any save.

Hollowseeker with waves and serrated blades destroys them. Main thing with the drones is to use cover if you can, or grapple away, or when pinned jump forward through their rocket barrage. Also crossing the bridge often spawns them, so move forward slowly and they spawn in manageable pairs. They also give a warning growl a second before they appear giving you a chance to check the radar and draw a bead on where they’ll appear from.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

After dying almost immediately to that sub boss a few times , the final time I just took the shotgun and stayed right underneath him and punched his ticket in about 20 seconds. There's too many instadeath projectiles to deal with at range. 

4 hours ago, IainGamer said:

Well just bloody wasted another 2 hours building up in 1&2 just to get arse kicked yet again with a ton of sodding flying robots in 3.

I just can’t afford to spend this amount of time for nothing despite how much I enjoy playing this.  

Going to wait for a save facility of some kind as I only get 4-5 hours a week gaming.

Level 3 is just a joke.  

Any tips on best gun for level 3 robots?  

Just to be clear I am enjoying this but just getting fed up of building character up and then bam all gone.  

If I was young single and no commitments then bring it on but family, job, etc etc this is cruel game without any save.

Jizzrot Lobber staggers and tick damage one shots them. Just fire and run. At that point in the story, you’ll know every room is gonna be murder so have pathways mapped out in your head before you engage. Splash some green gunk in their faces and book the hell out. I found dashing backwards and away more effective as you’re more in control of the room. 

Won’t feel like it but every run is not wasted if you are unlocking weapon traits and augments to be blessed with some time in the future. Also you’d learn patterns and room layouts every time you wipe.

I am in similar situation, stuck at biome 3 and feeling like it need to invest a lot of time to have a decent crack at it.

My current plan is to make a b-line for biome 3 so I can at least experience the different rooms and enemies. I will then do a full biome 1 & 2 run so I am as kitted up as I can be for a proper go at it.

The game is self is so glorious to play but essentially it feels like it uses your time to amp up the pressure. It reminds me of playing arcade games as a kid but in reverse; back then I had no cash and all the time in the world so every credit mattered as I tried to eek the most of them. I now have unlimited credits (in the game not in the real world!) but no time and it's the same feeling of pressure when I get further than I have before, i am on a constant knife edge of stress that it all come crashing to an end.

It's either genius or macavalian trolling of the highest order and I have still not worked out which.

Also, in terms of making progress, am I right in thinking that the best things to do is pour either into the shrine at the start to unlock things and try to use any weapon with a locked trait so they open up?

Traits aren't shared between weapons are they?

Situational advice, but you can kill drones with one melee hit if they're right on you or in a tight space. Aiming the camera up/towards them while airborne (follow @Timmo's earlier advice about mapping jump to L1, you'll thank him later) helps with the melee tracking too.

12 minutes ago, tobert said:

Also, in terms of making progress, am I right in thinking that the best things to do is pour either into the shrine at the start to unlock things and try to use any weapon with a locked trait so they open up?

Traits aren't shared between weapons are they?

Yep - always be unlocking traits where you can. The more you unlock, the better weapons you'll find on each new run. The game saves your progess made on a trait if you decide to switch to something else with unlocked traits during a run.

Traits aren't shared between weapons.

Biome 4 done. Onwards! 

Had a tough choice between the Carbine with leech rounds or Hollowseeker with portal before the boss... Went with the Hollowseeker and it absolutely tore through him and I only took one hit.  

This is my favourite game in some time. :wub:

After struggling for a week on L3 I beat it last night. For those struggling, I'd say the direct route is not an ideal strategy. I did a full run of 1&2 with both bosses. Had 250% integrity and 11 artefacts, and still only just made it through. 

@Hylian That's expected, it's arguably the toughest boss in the game especially when you're unfamiliar with it. Next time you fight him you'll do much better, tis natural progress.

I've made 3 forays into Biome 3 now, not really with any intent yet of getting through it. Just exploring and getting used to the enemies, the room types, the new guns etc.

Picking up lots of lore on the way. I like how Selene is really falling apart in some of them, the poor woman.

I don't love the Launcher or the Lobber yet.

This game is brilliant.

3 minutes ago, df0 said:

@Hylian That's expected, it's arguably the toughest boss in the game especially when you're unfamiliar with it. Next time you fight him you'll do much better, tis natural progress.

I actually did the boss second attempt! Was the normal enemies, especially the tie fighter bastards and robot twat, that were getting me. 

16 hours ago, IainGamer said:

Going to wait for a save facility

This is me in a nutshell.

I have so much stuff to do IRL and this is eating up time for no progress or reward now.

Friday I played for a good 6 hours - 4 of which was 2 runs , doing my prep right only to get his with a malformed in 3 and more enemies in one go than I have even seen. Wiped out my astronaut, the parasite that restores after a killing blow and a second full energy bar. 

I'm tapping out so I can get some IRL shit done and by the time I come back I hope they've added a save. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

I've made 3 forays into Biome 3 now, not really with any intent yet of getting through it. Just exploring and getting used to the enemies, the room types, the new guns etc.

Picking up lots of lore on the way. I like how Selene is really falling apart in some of them, the poor woman.

I was playing the other day and it did something super cool. Potential very very light spoilers for an audio log found in Biome 4.

Spoiler

I was roaming around murdering everything in sight, dodging perfectly, enjoying one of the best feeling games I've ever played and something popped into my head. I was really really enjoying myself while Selene was having an absolutely god awful time of it. I'd spent the first few hours creeping around, soaking up the atmosphere, getting into the character and scraping through rooms which worked really well as Selene was discovering what was going on. But once the game clicked it stopped being this oppressive thing and turned into a really fun arcade game, which wasn't in keeping with what the character I was controlling was going through at all. 

Seconds later I picked up an audio log and Selene mentioned that she was starting to enjoy how powerful all the machinery she was picking up was making her feel. That she was being seduced by how it made her feel using it. Which... was how I was feeling! It was a clever moment that was perfectly placed for the realisations I was making as a player. Good game!

Outside of all that I'm properly missing playing Returnal after vowing to wait for another patch. I don't want to lose hours of progress to stupid bugs again but I do really want to keep playing the game. Come on Housemarque, fix your bloody game!

I fucking swear this thing has gotten harder with the patches.  It just gets overwhelming too quickly in level 3.

Some good tips in here about levelling up the other guns, though.  I've been sticking to the Carbine and Hand gun, so not levelled any of the skills on the others.

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

I fucking swear this thing has gotten harder with the patches.

I agree, in fact I'm fairly sure the unpatched disc version is much easier.

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?