Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

3 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

And I guess if I uninstall and reinstall from disk, my save won't work?

I think it will, but if you have three consumable slots you'll go back down to two.

Edit: Also, you could just back up your save to a USB stick and try it. :)

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think it will, but if you have three consumable slots you'll go back down to two.

Edit: Also, you could just back up your save to a USB stick and try it. :)

Worth a shot, because I'm really struggling. 

And three consumables?  What witchcraft is this?!

I went from 2 to 1 consumable slots when I deleted and played from the disc.

B3 goes from some kind of insane , un-playtested nightmare fuckery to completely manageable due to the fact the enemy aggro is far less. The tie fighters will still attack in numbers but nowhere near as fast. Fabrications costs less and give more, i.e 175 for a large health vial instead of 250, the integrity upgrade costs more (400) but gives 30% instead of 25% etc. Health items are actually strewn around the level and some enemies even shed them (big robot through one of the diamond gates an example)

What is harder - melee is no longer a one hit kill 

For some reason you can't ever access Biome 2, the gate never spawns in Biome 1. I had to reinstall the latest patch for it to appear.

You lose a consumable slot

Void beam is bugged, it 'fires' and you can hear it but nothing comes out of the gun

Bosses are no different in regards to HP and patterns

It's still very challenging but no where near as absurd as the post patch version of B3 is. They really need to take a look at the numbers and see how many players are dropping off . I would have been gutted to not see the rest of the game because it's bloody excellent and even the teeth gritting gauntlets of B5 don't compare to the latest version of B3 in difficulty.

My hands were shaking and heart racing and during moments of panic I kept saying to myself “Be like Rafa Nadal!” which I wasn’t expecting, but.. I did it! 

I played Biomes 1-3 for many, many hours but the 2nd half of the game pretty much went by in one sitting. It’s very doable even if you’re finding Biomes 1-3 difficult. 

A great game, a joy to play! 

The music in this (currently still on B5) really reminds of Metroid Prime and it made me think,   if Nintendo had released this with standard Metroidvania progression and called it Metroid Prime 4 I don't think I would have felt like it was out of place.   It does solitude, logs, discovery, varied enemies and areas.   The only real difference in my head is the roguelike(lite?) structure and 3rd person perspective.

I'd certainly give Housemarque a shot at it if I were Nintendo.

Uninstalled and reinstalled, without downloading the patch. My save worked fine, and I had a quick run through level 1 and the difference is day and night. Finished with over 200% integrity, health orbs all over the place, great parasites and upgrades and everything was nicely manageable. 

Then I got further than I have in B3 for over two weeks (died in a fight half way up the tower, totally my own fault). The tie fighters are just a normal enemy, rather than the stuff of nightmares. It’s still a challenge, but seemed way more balanced to my low skill level. 

Obviously this could have just been some amazing RNG fortune and skill on my part, but I doubt it. I’m just not that lucky or good. 

Highly recommend to anybody struggling,  if you have the disc version. 

6 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Uninstalled and reinstalled, without downloading the patch. My save worked fine, and I had a quick run through level 1 and the difference is day and night. Finished with over 200% integrity, health orbs all over the place, great parasites and upgrades and everything was nicely manageable. 

Then I got further than I have in B3 for over two weeks (died in a fight half way up the tower, totally my own fault). The tie fighters are just a normal enemy, rather than the stuff of nightmares. It’s still a challenge, but seemed way more balanced to my low skill level. 

Obviously this could have just been some amazing RNG fortune and skill on my part, but I doubt it. I’m just not that lucky or good. 

Highly recommend to anybody struggling,  if you have the disc version. 

I'm still not convinced by this theory, I'm pretty sure the game becomes harder as each boss falls, I guess to keep the earlier biomes interesting. Happy to be proved wrong, though. 

Just now, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I hate to be that guy, but I find this quite easy now. I just smashed through 1-3 while Mass Effect patched with barely an issue. Did all the challenge rooms I came across too.

You're not alone I smashed through 4 & 5 in the same time, nary a scratch on me. I felt like a god but yes I want that challenge back.

10 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I hate to be that guy, but I find this quite easy now. I just smashed through 1-3 while Mass Effect patched with barely an issue. Did all the challenge rooms I came across too.

9 minutes ago, Minion said:

You're not alone I smashed through 4 & 5 in the same time, nary a scratch on me. I felt like a god but yes I want that challenge back.

:lol: you pair of arseholes! Imagine getting done in by Phrike for the 4,000th time and coming in and reading these.  

18 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I'm still not convinced by this theory, I'm pretty sure the game becomes harder as each boss falls, I guess to keep the earlier biomes interesting. Happy to be proved wrong, though. 

Well, one run isn’t proof, but it was clearly easier than when I played this morning. I’ll try again later tonight. 

1 minute ago, BitterToad said:

:lol: you pair of arseholes! Imagine getting done in by Phrike for the 4,000th time and coming in and reading these.  

I played it A LOT if that helps temper expectations.

I still can't get out of B3, not even managed to get to the boss yet

This may be coming to the end for me now, not enough time to play it properly at the moment

I'm still getting to grips with B2. I had some terrible randomness trying to tool up in B1 earlier, but right now I'm on the run from god at the base of the thing in B2. No doubt I'm going to die stupidly now...

I had a mostly awesome time with this over the weekend.

Made it up to the Biome 3 boss for the third time and this time I was carrying the right weapon - a tricked out Hollowseeker which made the job a LOT easier than my previous two attempts (first with a Lobber and then with a pistol). I also had a parasite which gave me 25% chance of keeping a consumable and this enabled me to use a large health pack twice (and the same one a couple of times in the run up to the boss). For those having bother with the bow ties (and the crawling fat guys) the Hollowseeker will shred them too. I had gotten into the habit of really liking the lobber but that is really not thebest for Biome 3...

Biome 4 was pretty easy and, to be fair, a bit disappointing bar the amazing boss (and the music on the way to it) and then I was dead in a minute or two of getting into Biome 5...

Question for those who are beyond Biome 3:

Spoiler

How do I get back to earlier Biomes? I now start just before 4 which is great I guess as I have the more potent guns but it'd be nice to revisit the earlier biomes too as I just like shooting stuff (hence the slow forward progress I am making despite putting in a staggering amount of hours).

If there is a better game this year then I will be amazed...

9 minutes ago, jonamok said:

@Mike S Re. your spoiler, I believe you can't until endgame.

Aah, OK. Thanks. 

Does that mean I can do challenges and still pick up from where I am? 

Oh yeah, the not so awesome of the last few days was experiencing the audio glitch twice. One was all the way half way through Biome 3 so I out up with it until I died. Next time was fifteen mins into Biome 1 so I just restarted the game. Its a truly horrible bug... 

4 hours ago, Minion said:

image.thumb.png.8ec08f7b455d75e4ed04e6de5debb7ba.png

But, yeah - I hope they bring the corpses back soon. I'd love some DLC for this, too.

10 hours ago, catinthehat said:

Well, one run isn’t proof, but it was clearly easier than when I played this morning. I’ll try again later tonight. 

Cleared Biome 3 last night fairly easily, after 53 total deaths. Probably 25+ of those were in B3. 

Again, it’s hard to say for sure it’s not just the gods of RNG smiling on me, but the two runs since reinstalling have been significantly easier. 

On to B4!

10 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

The parasite that gives health for kills but blocks you picking up healing items is great fun. Definitely one to consider taking imo.

Agreed. This is what got me through the final level, though it did lead to some scary moments against the final boss where I was damaged but couldn't pick up the silphium around the area that dropped during the fight. 

I tried that parasite but the health gains seemed very small for the damage I was dealing to the point I felt I was better off without it.  I wonder if this scales with weapon level and repair efficiency mods

Well I have had enough.  Level 3 is just a twat.  

It is really addictive but just proper getting fed up of restarting and taking an age to build up and try level 3.

going to wait in hope that a save facility might happen.  

I've very much come to the conclusion that trying to increase your stats by clearing the earlier biomes before re-attempting the biome you're actually stuck on will drive you mad.

Biome 1 gets significantly harder once the boss is down and if you stray too far from 'the path' to the next biome. In general it seems best just to find the route to the next level, and maybe go a bit further to find a fabricator to spend any obolites you've picked up. Then move on. You're guaranteed to get your weapon proficiency up to the level needed for whatever area you're on, and biome 3 hands out health at the same frequency it takes it away anyway.

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?