Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

1 hour ago, IainGamer said:

Well I have had enough.  Level 3 is just a twat.  

It is really addictive but just proper getting fed up of restarting and taking an age to build up and try level 3.

going to wait in hope that a save facility might happen.  

Are you sticking to the same guns every time? I suggest diversifying and if you see a gun with a locked attribute picking it up and playing with it to unlock the attribute, the more you do this the more powerful the weapons become, I would also recommend at least some levelling in 1 & 2 but avoid the bosses. A powerful shotgun with slugshot and not wide maw I found really useful for 3 as long as you keep moving and your aim is good and abuse the grapple whenever you can.

Act 3 done. Overall,this was a brilliant game with some unfortunate balancing issues in the first half but overall a superb achievement from housemarque. The story really surprised me. Whatever they do next I hope Bobby Krlic is involved because this game has one of the most spectacular soundscapes I've ever experienced.

Two attempts at boss 2. I did better on the first try as I had a level 8 pistol and shockstream. 

On pass 2, I tooled up health a bit and went to Biome 2, and took a shortcut. Might not have been the best idea and without a good alt-fire I'm nothing. Phase 2 and DED.

What an awesome game!

10 hours ago, Seamonster said:

I've very much come to the conclusion that trying to increase your stats by clearing the earlier biomes before re-attempting the biome you're actually stuck on will drive you mad.

I pretty much clear (or attempt to) every Biome (bar the bosses) on every run I attempt but that is mostly because that prospect of the next room holding something great or something I've not seen before prevents me from skipping ahead. FOMO!

I have not been driven mad but that might be because I still enjoy every enemy encounter.

I've just cleared the third boss after hesitating before the door, going back and mopping up some more stuff. Ended up beating it with a spaceman in the bank and 75% of my integrity. Felt silly overpowered; it was great! I was celebrating before the finish line like Usain Bolt in Beijing :D

I got to the Biome 3 boss for the first time tonight. Was having a really good run, with loads of health, a decent weapon, an Astronaut etc, and the a succession of fuck-ups in the last section of Biome 3 meant when I got to the boss I was in pretty poor shape. Took a bar and a half off him, but then fell. Oh well. Next time!

2 hours ago, catinthehat said:

Please be a Save feature! Please be a Save feature!

No chance. It will just half the integrity gain from large silphium vials, then the game will jump out of the telly and shit on your carpet.

After dying to boss 2 phase 2 a few times by taking the shortcuts and going in underpowered, I opted to rinse every resource from biome 1 and 2 before attempting him. And then somehow I did bosses 2 and 3 in one sitting, in a single life no less. That’s a bit mad right? I was expecting the worst from biome 3 after hearing how crazy it was, but I got through it without many issues. In biome 4 I got a bit haphazard as I was getting tired and wanted to see what happened when I died.

On my twitch if anyone’s got three hours to spare. 

What a strange, marvellous game. 

Had my first couple of goes at the last boss. Ugly fucker. First try was a bust as I had no idea wtf I was doing, so did fuck all damage. By the time I’d twigged what to do I was dead.

Did a speed run back, just to check I didn’t have to find the key again, and with no consumables and half a default health bar going in I still nearly got him to his last phase.

Should be easy enough if I tool up a bit first.

I finished Act 2 last night after a two hour-ish trek through Biome 4 and 6 (skipped 5 because it’s horrible there :p). Ended up getting a Carbine with Leech Rounds, Hardened, Rising Pitch and another perk that I can’t remember which made short work of the last 40 minutes or so and kept my integrity nicely topped up. The real clutch of my run though was an Artifact for a 30% chance to retain consumables and then I had another artifact for a further 25% chance. I happened to start the last boss with 3 of those stationary barriers that block all projectiles and boost your own if you fire through it. Once I figured out what I needed to do, I basically bunkered down in front of him and dropped a barrier whenever needed. Think I ended up dropping 6 or so of them but only actually used 1.

It was definitely the cheesiest way possible I could have done the boss but I’ll fucking take it. :blah:

I still can't get past Boss 2, and yet I'm still loving this. One thing that might seem really odd, but I think really captures one of the reasons its so good is that I absolutely LOVE shooting the various statues and obelisks, mainly just because of the sound design, haptics and just the feel of the guns. It's a really thrilling sensory experience right down to the smallest details. I thought the Edge review was absolutely excellent, too, and really cuts to the heart of the issue that I think divides people in terms of its shooter lineage and its success on those terms vs some of the challenges on the Roguelite side.

I got up to Boss 3 last night after a couple of hours trekking through biome 1 -3 tooling up.  The tension was immense knowing how much time I had invested to get their but I set a low bar of just getting to boss and learning his patterns.   I actually got him down to his last stage with half a bar left before dying which wasn't bad.

I made a mistake of picking up a pistol before I went in,  it had nearly all points in damage and burst fire but took an age to do whittle him down.  What are the best weapons people have found for him?  I swap the Thermogenic rocket launcher for the pistol which I think was a mistake...

I used the Lobber against boss 3. I’d avoided that weapon up until then but it absolutely tore through him in record time.  Get a few shots in and it continues to deal damage whilst you move around. 

2 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Are you guys all deliberately not using the Electropylon Driver because it makes the game too easy then or what?

Don't think you would have that if you haven't progressed beyond biome 3.

Haven't seen one yet in the normal game. Obvs on daily challenges etc, but not in the run to Boss 3 to date. I've had Sidearm, Carbine, Spitmaw, Hollowseeker, Thermogenic Launcher, Rotgland Lobber and that's it.

10 minutes ago, tobert said:

Doesn't the lobber fire in an arc which would make it difficult at range?

Tobert... Tobert, Tobert Tobert....

Hip fire with it and you basically can't miss. Aimed fire works for controlling groups/turrets but if you hip fire with the thing it's an absolute pin point accurate BEAST of a weapon. 

God I miss this game. Roll on the Thursday patch. 

5 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Are you guys all deliberately not using the Electropylon Driver because it makes the game too easy then or what?

I'll use one if it has the Web perk, but ultimately I find it really unsatisfying to use when it comes to feedback compared to something like the Carbine or a perked out Hollowseeker. I had one last night with Portal Beam AND Portal Turret along with Retarget and Serrated Projectiles and it was just so fun to use.

15 minutes ago, tobert said:

Doesn't the lobber fire in an arc which would make it difficult at range?

Hip fire it as suggested above, I also had aim assist set to high. 

11 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

For me, it's anything with homing bullets (so the pistol, then) on the bosses so far.  That way I can just point roughly in the right direction and concentrate on staying alive.

i had the pistol but found it wasn't doing a tonne of damage, I also struggle to keep on top of the active reloads which is fustraiting

9 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I have the Electropylon but didn't get one drop anywhere near the boss unforuntately.

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?