Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

Also, I am contemplating trying a run one biome 1 where go through all the rooms using as little health as possible. I will then get a health vial from a fabricator to get myself up to full strength and then go back through the level picking up all the health modules as they will all be resin

18 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Are you guys all deliberately not using the Electropylon Driver because it makes the game too easy then or what?

I think I've only seen this once. When does it unlock?

Edit: Oh, I see everybody already asked that.  Biome 4, it seems.

27 minutes ago, tobert said:

Also, I am contemplating trying a run one biome 1 where go through all the rooms using as little health as possible. I will then get a health vial from a fabricator to get myself up to full strength and then go back through the level picking up all the health modules as they will all be resin

In the “good old days”, you could do this by clearing a room, then returning to the ship each time to restore your health, then returning to the room to collect all the now resins.

I miss them days :(

35 minutes ago, tobert said:

If you wanna do something a little more balanced and less risky, you can do what I do, which is to pretty much ignore any and all small silphium, and only heal with the bigger ones. Small silphium for me are just resins waiting for you to be at full health. They're pretty useless for healing unless you boost your repair power.

Generally, if you're not too unlucky, you can follow your plan and then heal with a large silphium. You're better off doing this than using healing items as those items are hugely important for hairy rooms and bosses. Just keep in mind that if you use a large silphium at full health it's equivalent to 2 resins. More risk/reward.

Lastly, if you see one of those stone beds with green colouring, don't use it to heal if you can help it. It increases your health so is equivalent to 3 resins so long as you're full health.

5 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Yeah.

I still don't know what the red beds do. I laid in one once and it just hurt me.

I think they give you a random artifact for about 25% of your health. I don't think I've ever been happy for doing it. 

Did anybody else think the second half of the game definitely easier than the first. It took about 50 hours for me to see the ending and 44 deaths and I would say a good 90%of those deaths happened in the first 3 levels.  On these later levels the time it takes to kill an enemy with the weapons your given is much quicker than the early levels.

Anybody stuck on the third level with thoughts of giving up, well just give it a bit longer, you won’t regret it. If you don’t panic and keep strafing and grappling then the third boss is probably the easiest, particularly his third stage. This is coming from a crumbling 52 year old with questionable reflexes.

I think it’s the jump in weapon stats + multiple perks that makes 4 onwards feel easier, the whole pace of the game ramps up massively when you’re starting off with proficiency level 15 (iirc) stuff rather than back at 1. Diving back into Biome 1 last night after clearing act 2 the game felt glacial compared to what I was just doing prior! 

Having spent a lot of time in all of the biomes, I prefer Biome 1 by a mile.

It just has a good mix of the right size and shape of spaces to properly run n' gun.

The enemy mix is good, and the variety of rooms seems broader than the other areas.

Running through rooms with a dozen basic blue tentacle mobs offers the best bad-ass feeling in the game.

[All biome discussion:]

Spoiler

2 is just too open in its first half, and plays largely the same every time, pretty as it is.

3 is too 'trappy' and stop-start with not enough room to manoeuvre - though I do like the grappling.

4 is the closest to 1 obvs, but the enemies just aren't as fun, and its structure feels more predictable (best boss by a mile though)

5 is just too bitty in its structure, and lacks the variety of other levels - all three routes seem to always start the same way.

6 is basically just walkways and drop offs - making strafing and fast movement less useful - though the lower-G jump is interesting.

#TeamBiome1

On 18/05/2021 at 11:21, Seamonster said:

I've very much come to the conclusion that trying to increase your stats by clearing the earlier biomes before re-attempting the biome you're actually stuck on will drive you mad.

Oh yes. B U T. It does work. I finally did 3 - my third +2 hour attempt clearing ALL of 1 & 2 before going to 3. 

Explosive ROT is amazing, one shot kills when tooled up. :wub:

8 minutes ago, mexos said:

Oh yes. B U T. It does work. I finally did 3 - my third +2 hour attempt clearing ALL of 1 & 2 before going to 3. 

Explosive ROT is amazing, one shot kills when tooled up. :wub:

The lobbee was my favourite gun for a while until a decent Hollowseeker ripped Biome 3 to shreds. I am in Biomes 4 and 5 now and they are both still my favourites. 

I don't find the pylon thing to be all that great although it was absolutely amazing  for a daily challenge in Biome 1 a whole back.

This is now, definitely, my favourite game since Sekiro and will likely be my favourite game until Elden Ring. 

I think a big mindset change that helped me improve was moving my mindset to prioritising avoiding damage rather than dishing it out. Like if you saw me play you'd see me basically running and dashing away / around attacks and scenery and firing off some rounds when I have breathing space, before I dart off again. 

3 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

I think a big mindset change that helped me improve was moving my mindset to prioritising avoiding damage rather than dishing it out. Like if you saw me play you'd see me basically running and dashing away / around attacks and scenery and firing off some rounds when I have breathing space, before I dart off again. 

Yeah this is the way to play. Essentially you should aim to never be hit. Tanking damage is never the right thing to do. 

34 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

100% this. Go gung ho and you die. Throw a ridiculous amount of enemies at me but also give me a door I can hide and shoot from. Damn right I’m going to use it. It’s cover. The game is stacked against you big time. Use anything and everything it gives you to try and beat it. 

33 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Essentially you should aim to never be hit. Tanking damage is never the right thing to do. 

These days if I get hit in the first five mins of a run unless I’ve picked up some epic loot I just restart. Don’t even flinch.

Don’t tell me if you’ve finished the game but if I don’t soon (just arrived at 4) get the ability to go into the water to retrieve shit or not die on red bits to do the same then I’m going to lose my shit.

(posting purely to annoy myself IF I ever find out by finishing this arsehole of a game off.)

You gotta love the RNG in this. Had one run through Biome 4 where I had those green alien beds in two consecutive rooms. Charmed run, I thought. Then later in biome 5 I got 8 tie fighters and two mutant severed in a room the size of an under-stairs cupboard. Cozy. And very dead. Was a fun run.

Patch incoming:

Get ready for Patch 1.3.7, releasing [May 20th] at 2PM (GMT+3)

Reminder that if you have the automatic updates turned on, the game will close while in rest mode in order to install the update.

Patch Notes:
• Fixed an issue with Deceased Scouts not appearing as often as intended.
• After having one of their Deceased Scout corpses scavenged, players will no longer receive a negative-effect parasite on startup.
• Fixed an issue where the Ophion boss might disappear after a player uses the Reconstructor during the fight.
• Fixed a rare audio bug causing loud noises during combat.
• Fixed a small number of issues where players might become stuck in various rooms.
• Fixed several issues where the player might encounter a black screen during the credits or whilst playing. 
• Multiple fixes for rare crashes during gameplay.

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?