Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

2 hours ago, noob said:

Slow but steady progress for me. 

Just got to Ixiom. 

Managed to do the first phase but got totally confused after that and died. 

What a rush!

Just got there myself for the first time. Got to phase 3 then immediately died!!

Was severely hamstrung by losing my astronaut in a fight just before the boss and having parasites with 20% less protection and disabling overload. 

Next time, he’s mine!! 

Got a good session in on this for the first time in quite a while, and got myself to the third boss for the second time as a result. I was quite tooled up, but again lost a but too much health (and an astronaut, damnit) on the way. Still got the boss down to the second half of its second bar though, which is a fair bit better than last time. He will fall.

I did the first boss last night on attempt no 7, didn’t even have to use my astronaut in the end.  Had a little run round the second biome before getting destroyed. 

Had a blast with this, even after completing Act 3 it was enjoyable going back in and trying out different builds while I cleaned up collectibles. Pity that the RNG for some of the rooms is broken as that was the only sour experience.

Spoiler

IMG_0724.jpg

Well done! I think I’ll probably end up bailing on the plat for now. Another couple of hours in 4 and 5 and none of the four outstanding ciphers in there dropped in a thorough exploration of both. I love the shooting of course, but I think I’ll play something else for a while and come back when I miss it. Back tomorrow night then. :lol:

I'm about 10 hours in and this game is still revealing stuff to me which I'd previously missed.

Spoiler

Only just noticed the buttons you shoot to open the gates to crates - I had previously thought they would be accessed via an upgrade at some point, but then was like "what the hells that up there...?"  Also the little yellow flecks on the ground can be shot to reveal obolites.

My style of play has changed now too as I've finally twigged that obolites are EVERYTHING! I'm running around the place like a crackhead hoovering up as much of that sweet stuff I can get my hands on, looking at statues, in corners, clucking like a junky when I'm a few obolites short for that next consumable. I'm going in hunting enemies now as they are just means to get more stuff to help me in my quest to beat that three armed bastard! Of course I'll get a great build created and that challenge room will be staring at me on the map...the risk reward in this is brutal. I know I should just teleport to the boss, but I'm feeling unstoppable! Cut to me limping out of the challenge room with a sliver of health and hoping, fruitlessly, that I can still take on the boss...

Reflecting on this I think the feedback loops are perfect, e.g. the audio and design of collecting obolites is sooo satisfying. You get the impression that anything central to the game got a lot of care an attention paid to tune them to perfection. 

Last night after 12 hours made it to the last boss fight on level 2. Got him down to a quarter of his health on his third phase.

Would have made it if I hadn't panicked on the run up to the boss level as I used all my health pickups. So all I had was a level 7 pistol and one health bar with no consumables left to use.

Just love how vicious this world is and you can never rest on your laurels as you never know what's in the next room.

11 hours ago, tobert said:

Reflecting on this I think the feedback loops are perfect, e.g. the audio and design of collecting obolites is sooo satisfying. You get the impression that anything central to the game got a lot of care an attention paid to tune them to perfection. 

Yep that digital crunchy zap sound when you increase max integrity never gets old. 

Favourite audio/haptic feedback in the game is when the alt-fire finishes its recharge. No matter what other cacophonous pyrotechnics are going off, that sound and sense cuts through it. Genius.

On 05/06/2021 at 16:11, Junker said:

After a week I’m 8 runs and 12 hours in. I’ve got to Phrike 3 times and died each time on his 3rd phase.
 Still enjoying it but it’s obvious I’m a bit cack at this. 
 Not really got my head around weapon progression, and I’ve no idea if the guns and objects and parasites I collect each time mean I’ve got a greater or lesser chance of beating Phrike? 
when I eventually beat him I’m going to be pumped

What a rush! Got him on the 6th attempt last night.
Biome 2 is… different. Not what I expected. I’m not sure I’ll ever finish this game, but it’s definitely one of my favourites of recent years.

Can someone explain consumables etc, and how on earth you get to a boss with more energy than you start with?

I literally just play through as is...

No wonder I die so much 

21 minutes ago, noob said:

Can someone explain consumables etc, and how on earth you get to a boss with more energy than you start with?

No wonder I die so much 

• Obolites: non-permanent currency; spend as much as you can per run on makers
  • Ether: permanent currency; rare in the beginning of the game, quite common by the end; unlocks items into drop tables; purifies items/chests
  • Silphium: restores health; more importantly boosts maximum health for every three picked up when at full health; resin boosts regardless of health level; stupid tip of the day: do not get hit to get more health.
  • Orange items: consumables usually giving a temporary bonus/health/shield
  • Purple items: non-permanent stats/abilities when picked up; disappear after death
  • Parasites: good thing, bad thing; live with them both.

Picking anything up for the first time, puts it into the drop tables permanently. Even if you encounter a new weapon you do not want to use, at the very least pick it up otherwise you'll not add it to the drop tables.

Keep dying a lot. :)

I feel your pain @noob It’s taken me a while to start approaching the run up to the boss with some sort of plan. I’d previously been picking up every green Silphium I came across, but now I’ll leave a room full and come back for a life top up before going to the boss. However I’m not sure if by doing that I nerfed my weapons proficiency levelling as I could only find a 2* gun (Ive noticed it increases by picking stuff up). This game could well be driving me a bit crazy, but it’s aces!

57 minutes ago, noob said:

No wonder I die so much 

Resin fills up those 3 slots to the left of your health meter, and each time it gets to 3 it gives you a higher max health. If you are at full health the sylphium that normally refills your health bar will instead be resin and fill up one of those slots instead, so collecting them at 100% health will keep boosting your max health.

@SpagMasterSwift the only thing that's affects weapon level is proficiency rate. That increases from proficiency item pickups (blue) and from killing things. At a higher adrenaline level (I think 4) proficiency rate increases more quickly. (adrenaline level is the number at bottom centre in gold - increases with consecutive kills without taking damage) 

2 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

So I should kill everything with the starting gun to get the proficiency rate up then go looking for a new gun in crates? Trying to suss out an order to approach this thing has me chasing my tail.

I think see what the lay of the land is. I tend to grab a new gun fairly early if there's a few chests about just because new guns have perks and the starting pistol doesn't. This means you're always levelling something up so runs can't really be "wasted", plus, perks are great! But yeah once I've got a new gun I don't tend to swap it out until my proficiency is up a bit.  

3 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

So I should kill everything with the starting gun to get the proficiency rate up then go looking for a new gun in crates? Trying to suss out an order to approach this thing has me chasing my tail.

Yes, or at least try to raise you Proficiency up to a level above your current weapon's Proficiency level to ensure you are getting a better weapon.

It's risk/reward! Do I open that chest now and possibly get a gun I prefer, or leave it and come back at next proficiency level for a more powerful weapon?

I always open the first chest though, as starting pistol never has traits. 

I think it's important early on to realise that the gun level isn't everything. It's important to note where those points are going. You might have a level 2 gun with 2 on damage, but a level 3 pops up that has 0 on damage. That might not be such a great swap. 

2 hours ago, Hylian said:

It's risk/reward! Do I open that chest now and possibly get a gun I prefer, or leave it and come back at next proficiency level for a more powerful weapon?

I always open the first chest though, as starting pistol never has traits. 

I think it's important early on to realise that the gun level isn't everything. It's important to note where those points are going. You might have a level 2 gun with 2 on damage, but a level 3 pops up that has 0 on damage. That might not be such a great swap. 

Unless it has a Portal Laser. Always bet on Portal Laser.