Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I take it I'm not supposed to be able to access what look like grapple points yet, right? The glowing orange lights, often high up on walls.

No, just gotta wait!

46 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I take it I'm not supposed to be able to access what look like grapple points yet, right? The glowing orange lights, often high up on walls.

On 29/06/2021 at 22:34, Lyrical Donut said:

Play the videogame.

23 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Just keep moving on. ;) It’ll slot into place. 

I think I’m about half way through B3 and it’s about as far as I’ve managed so far. I’m bleeding health like nobody’s business, though. 

Am I right in thinking a lot of the standard drones are best tackled with melee?

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think I’m about half way through B3 and it’s about as far as I’ve managed so far. I’m bleeding health like nobody’s business, though. 

Am I right in thinking a lot of the standard drones are best tackled with melee?

Turrets yes. Flying drones probably not. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

If they're close enough, sure - don't forget you can angle the camera to help with melee tracking - this is why you map L1 or R1 to melee ;)

I'm trying to wrap up the last few trophies, nothing plot related but I'll spoiler just in case.

Spoiler

Is there a trick to getting the last few scout logs and ciphers, or is it just a case of playing and replaying in the hope of getting them? I've still got 3 ciphers to find for biome 2, but a run through then didn't throw any of them at me.

It's just random: each log/cipher appears in a particular room and you get a random selection of rooms each time. That's not true for the sun fragment things - they're always in there somewhere once you've unlocked them - but it is for the other collectables. I'm at the same stage myself, and I'm wondering if I can quite be bothered, as much as I enjoy the gameplay loop.

I had a shitty bug today where I used up an astronaut fairly quickly, thanks to some terrible play, but then was fortunate enough to be able buy another one right at the start of the next biome. Less happily, when I died in the yellow challenge room a bit later, the second astronaut turned out to be a dud. At least this happened relatively early in the run - I'd have been even more aggrieved if this had been an hour later.

I've got back to it a bit recently and finished the B2 and B5 surveys, which now just leaves B3 and B6. Obviously once you get down to the last few, you're relying on a fair bit of luck. I'm enjoying just playing it more anyway.

Made it to Nemesis last night. I used my first recovery chamber thing and died on the second round. 

When I go back to the boss, will it start again or where I left off?

I think it took me about 6 hours to do up to the B2 boss, and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s taken me near that time on just B3 so far. Will have to check when I next die. 

5 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Made it to Nemesis last night. I used my first recovery chamber thing and died on the second round. 

When I go back to the boss, will it start again or where I left off?

I think it took me about 6 hours to do up to the B2 boss, and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s taken me near that time on just B3 so far. Will have to check when I next die. 

I used that chamber for the first time earlier… the boss will reset to phase 1 with full health 😭.

On 24/06/2021 at 15:51, HarryBizzle said:

Do you mean the astronaut figure? Yeah, I got one and then used it on dying to a bloody Ent. 😐

As for Phrike, I'm no expert but the main tips I have are that you can dash through projectiles, so you can either dash though them or jump over them. He seems to predict where you're going to be when throwing the red balls at you, so you might have to change direction or dodge to miss them, and lastly, don't be afraid to stop shooting to concentrate on dodging his attacks. I found the purple ones a bit tricky to judge the depth on, so just stopping and getting clear of them is well worth the effort.

In round three, that double swing of the laser is the main tricky bit, I think. If you remember to dodge through that properly, you're sorted.

Finally beat him! I haven’t been keeping count, but I reckon that was somewhere around my 10th go at him. Lost count of the number of aborted runs after getting the astronaut and big health pack, only to make silly mistakes and need the health pack just to make it out of a simple room.

(Funny how many mistakes you see, watching it back)

Predictably died fairly rapidly in the next biome. Glad to see things open out a bit. 

25 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

Finally beat him! I haven’t been keeping count, but I reckon that was somewhere around my 10th go at him. Lost count of the number of aborted runs after getting the astronaut and big health pack, only to make silly mistakes and need the health pack just to make it out of a simple room.

(Funny how many mistakes you see, watching it back)

Predictably died fairly rapidly in the next biome. Glad to see things open out a bit. 

Well done! I enjoyed watching that. Didn't think you were going to make it for a second there - didn't realise you had an astronaut.

Probably teaching you to suck eggs here, but you could be doing waaaaay more damage over time if you manage to nail those active reloads.

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Probably teaching you to suck eggs here, but you could be doing waaaaay more damage over time if you manage to nail those active reloads.

Thanks - teach away :)  I’ve been concentrating on dealing with his attacks and staying alive long enough to eventually whittle him down. Weirdly I find if I worry too much about the reloads I lose focus on his attacks and it goes rapidly down hill. I’m better at it in the normal rooms…

If the option was there, I’d definitely have turned the difficulty down about 5 attempts ago, and tbh was close to giving up. Keen to push on now :)

4 hours ago, StephenM said:

Taking a break from this might have been a mistake, coming back to biome 4 with absolutely zero rhythm or skill 😳

That’s how I’m feeling after coming back to biome 3 after probably a month of playing Ratchet and Miles and not gaming so much with the decent weather. 

Biome 2 boss down first time! *Huff, puff, wheeze*

It took a large medkit and an Astronaut Figurine (?) but I got him.

I don't really understand how the game works and what all the different collectibles are, but it's great fun!

After my earlier triumph I then died in the 

Spoiler

Citadel, and then again almost immediately afterwards in the first jungle area. Balls.

Am I right in thinking there's a way to teleport to the second or third biome, or should I just 

Play the videogame

?

No instant teleport. You’ll have already seen the shortcut rooms to get from Biome 1 to B2 and B3. They will now be nearer the start of 1. Similarly there’s a ‘pop-up’ gate not too far from the start of B2 that will take you up the tower and a lot nearer to the portal that goes from B2 to B3.

Speaking of maps, there was a thread on Era recently on how this game has one of the best mini-maps out there and I agree. It's superbly designed.

I actually died on a run yesterday in B4, which hadn't happened in a long time. First I had to deal with a bitch hard enemy from a deceased scout scan that hit like a truck and then I got bombarded by turrets in the room afterwards.

Also, for those of you who - like me - couldn't unlock the House trophies, Housemarque has a new patch out.