Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

Yep, depends on the exact layout but you can either sprint round and up the slope, or to the translocator.  Also if there are any green towers in any area, I always make a beeline for those and get rid of them first as they shield/regenerate (not sure which) the other enemies.

I picked up the 

Spoiler

Music box in my run today.

It went off twice saying 'Secret nearby' when I entered two different rooms, but I couldn't find anything obvious and I couldn't get the pop up to trigger in that same room again. Does it trigger when you're standing near to a secret or when you just walk into a room where there is one? And by 'secret' does it just mean those places where you can fall through the floor, or is it something more...secret?

1 hour ago, p1nseeker said:

I never even attempt to shoot enemies before taking out the healing tower

Depending on the enemies you can quickly dispatch a few of them with the blade. :)

Hmm. I don't really understand how to play this. At you supposed to spend ages mopping up collectibles before you take the shortcut to the next biome, or are you supposed to just go straight there and take your chances? I'm shortcutting to the Citadel and then just getting completely mullered by flying enemies shooting me from off screen. Can't say it's that much fun.

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I picked up the 

Reveal hidden contents

It went off twice saying 'Secret nearby' when I entered two different rooms, but I couldn't find anything obvious and I couldn't get the pop up to trigger in that same room again. Does it trigger when you're standing near to a secret or when you just walk into a room where there is one? And by 'secret' does it just mean those places where you can fall through the floor, or is it something more...secret?

It's not the fall through the floor thing. Shoot at walls or the ground.

29 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Hmm. I don't really understand how to play this. At you supposed to spend ages mopping up collectibles before you take the shortcut to the next biome, or are you supposed to just go straight there and take your chances? I'm shortcutting to the Citadel and then just getting completely mullered by flying enemies shooting me from off screen. Can't say it's that much fun.

Both are viable, though you'll probably have a better chance if you stock up. When you've unlocked more weapons, artefacts and traits it's easier to skip biomes if you want. 

I tend to do full runs because I just enjoy it (and because I still need some glyphs in B2 and B3).

Citadel can feel daunting at first, but you'll get there. :)

It's probably my favourite biome now because I really dig its atmosphere and all the grappling. The Automata are some of my favourite enemies - especially the crawling ones - and the boss and cinematic are dope.

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I would say just run away from those bloody things. Those rockets are the worst, but generally you can just dodge out the way and let them kamikaze into a wall/floor.

Citadel is a massive difficulty spike, I think, but I'm definitely getting to a place where it's much more doable. Just don't get too upset if you're going in there with a level 1 weapon. It doesn't make that much of a difference for the time period before you'll get a level 9 one.

On 07/07/2021 at 09:27, Vemsie said:

Actually listened to this before going to sleep yesterday. It's a good listen, especially if you're interested in design decisions and goals. Harry is a pretty thoughtful speaker. About an hour long. 

Picked up from where I left off and, like many others, went straight through the rest of Act 2 without dying. The Electropylon Driver really is a bit of a cheat code, especially against the B6 boss. Ended with 10 deaths and just under 11 hours on the clock all-told which again makes me relieved that circumstances didn't conspire to hit a brick wall that has stopped so many.

Now I'm back in the loop. There's something about games like this and Hades and Souls games where the real challenge is your first time through and you're so worried about losing what you've gained or not being able to beat a boss that you play with fear and anxiety.

And then when you've done it once, it actually becomes relaxing to go through again and somehow being close to death doesn't make you erratic or feel stress. I'm not sure I'll see the platinum - I've been all the way through the first 3 biomes again and glyphs have been scarce - but I'll happily give it a few more hours to hit Act 3 and I like that actually beating everything again isn't a requirement so messing around with builds is not an impediment to progress.

I was a little disappointed in act 3, personally, in the sense that

Spoiler

it just added more mystery really. I wasn't expecting some kind of neat resolution or happy ending but I didn't really feel like it added anything.

I'm one glyph away from the platinum now, I think. I nearly didn't bother but then picked up quite a bit of the remainder on a single run and thought I might as well. Of course, it'll probably take another ten runs through Crimson Wastes to get the last one now.

I'm beginning to suspect the final glyph in Crimson Wastes is bugged. In one run I did find a final active glyph right next to the first grapple point when you walk outside after the gate, but it didn't do anything and I can't imagine not having picked that one up earlier.

I don't think the glyph locations are actually fixed. I did originally (and I think even claimed as such in a previous post) but as I pick up the last of them now, it seems clearly not true - there are loads I've picked up in screamingly obvious locations in rooms I've cleared multiple times and there's no way I've missed all of those.

I got the boss at the end of Biome 3 down to a sliver of his last bar on my first go, then I succumbed. I'm not looking forward to having to do all that laser shit again.

Have to say, this is pretty excellent. I get some of the criticism levelled at it about how it's a better shooter than a roguelike, but the movement, scale and intensity of it all is fantastic.

4 hours ago, Larsen B said:

And then when you've done it once, it actually becomes relaxing to go through again and somehow being close to death doesn't make you erratic or feel stress.

I came in to say something very similar.  I'm still working my way through B2, but spent a fair while last night just trying to get as much as I could out of B1, including a couple of runs where Phrike's pit was off the 2nd or 3rd room and I thought "why not" and dropped straight in.  OK, so I didn't beat him either time, but I did get through the first 2 phases without much trouble both times, and fairly sure a health pack or astronaut would have seen me through.

It's either just practice, or the complete lack of pressure, or maybe a bit of both.

(I might be getting better at those active reloads, too, @HarryBizzle :))

Just had a run where I had massive health bar, lots of buffs, powerful weapon and an astronaut. Absolutely bossed my way through first two biomes, but got to the stairs before the 3rd boss and it all went to shit. Part of me was thinking just leg it but pride comes before a fall I guess. Really enjoyed using the Rot Lobber gun and scanned a new item which I’m looking forward to having in the random rotation going forward. But yeah, fuck this game!

I’ve hit a wall in this like no other game. 

I’ve done the whole ‘Demon’s Souls looks interesting’ and then 2 days later ‘this is fucking impossible’ then completed it and then clocked DaS, Bloodborne etc. So I totally get the whole gut gud thing and getting over the humps, but man.

I cannot get to the end of Biome 3. I thought it was too hard and I’d never beat Phrike, but a bit of adjustment and fine, Biome 2 boss as soon as I saw it I could see it was doable.

But I’ve been trying to get to the Biome 3 boss for 3 weeks now and I’m just not good enough to do it. I’m not brilliant but I can comfortably work my way through  B1 and B2 and get myself some decent upgrades and the first half of B3 is generally ok, but I just cannot seem to do the last bit before the boss. I can only normally get in an hour or so at the end of the day and I suspect I need to be hammering it for a lot more than that while I’m a bit more alert to make further progress.

I think this is the first time I’ll have to give up on a game I like because I can’t hack it rather than it being shit, or unfair. Gutted.

Have you managed to turn the bridge on yet?

Top tip: Try running/grappling away and killing a few enemies from range rather than staying in a room.

And try running through the last rooms pre-boss.

Got to Nemesis a second time and got him to health bar number three but had next to no health and one of his laser boys one-shotted me. Next time!

Man, runs in this game are long. I kind of feel compelled to do the entire Overgrown Ruins section (apart from the boss) to pick up Resin and Artifacts before going to the Citadel, but it takes at least 45 minutes before I even get there.

@charley farley

Once you activate the bridge to the tower, the room layouts inside the tower are the same each time (or they have been on my runs, at least - lots of lasers). The hardest section is one where there's two of the big automatons that grab you from afar at the same time, but you can either dash through before they spawn or lure them out one by one and take pot shots from below. Actually activating the bridge I found harder than the tower climb to the boss. The boss itself seems doable. It's more about getting close to him than having quick reactions.

3 minutes ago, charley farley said:

@jonamok @Jamie John No idea what you mean by the bridge/bridge tower. 

It appears I’m not actually near the door if Biome 3 after all. Jesus.

Your first objective in the Citadel is a big pillar of orange light going into the sky at the top of a tall building. Once you reach this you activate a bridge to a massive tower you have to climb to the boss. The bridge is permanent, however, and acts as a shortcut, so it's not quite so arduous. You'll want a decently-levelled weapon and some health packs for the boss. It's got a lot of HP. The actual tower climb isn't too bad, though.

The trick in much of B3 is to keep grappling. There are plenty of grapple points in most rooms that you can use to get above or behind enemies, or render them basically harmless by going back and forth between two positions.

Of course, there are a few points where it's not possible.

On 07/07/2021 at 15:50, Jamie John said:

I picked up the 

Reveal hidden contents

I've had this a few times as well. It triggers on entering the room, not based on proximity, and it seems to treat both floor drops and the mini teleport gates as secrets. I know there are shooty wall secrets as well but I have had the item go off in tiny rooms where literally the only thing in there is a teleporter - and shooting the walls, using abilities etc does nothing.

I've also had it go off in a few areas where there are neither floor drops, teleporters or seemingly any secret areas, where I've shot every surface and tried every jump. I can only assume in those cases it must refer to bits like high platforms that you can only reach if you have unlocked certain abilities.

Anyway it seems useless right now, they need to change its activation requirements and also make it get louder when you are closer to the secret in question. And yes it only ever plays once for each secret which is stupid when there is so much backtracking in this game