Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

18 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

There's a bit of a running gag in my house at the moment where if my wife or the kids want me for something and see me playing this, they'll say "oh, it's ok, it can wait... you'll be dead in a minute".

:D

I do think Ixion is probably the hardest boss in the game. Even on many replays he can still give me trouble in his third phase.

Jamie John's run gives me hope that I might actually beat Nemesis.

I was supposed to have tomorrow afternoon off work, by myself, but will now be looking after my youngest as COVID has once again closed nursery. 🙃

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I experienced Ixion as one of the easiest. Such a breath of fresh air after the tight reaction windows of Phrike.

I found Phrike super stressful. Maybe compounded by the feeling - over a few attempts - that I was just never going to beat him and the whole game was a waste of time and money.  Much less stressed when I reach Ixion now. I wish he’d stop sodding off where I can’t see him though…

One tip I'd give for people who are struggling is to play this game like you'd play Dark Souls for the first time: very cautiously and defensively, taking as few risks as possible. That's more or less how I got to the credits from B3 onwards - creeping around with the Electro Pylondriver, hiding behind pillars, bottlenecking enemies through doors, etc.

The game encourages you in a number of ways to swoop in quickly and take risks, but save that for later runs. If you're just trying to get through then slow and steady is key.

Anyway, I'm back into another 90 minute run now after yesterday's crash, on the hunt for missing glyphs and the 

Spoiler

Sun fragments, which (I understand) I need for the true ending.

Do these just appear as random drops, like everything else?

And once I'd completed the game I saw the pop-up telling me to use the device in the cargo bay, which just seemed to take me from B4 back to B1. Is this all it does, or does it have some other function I haven't cottoned on to?

Finally, how do you deal with the quicksand/lava that slows you down and constantly hurts you? There's a particular side room in the desert area where it's basically a river of the stuff you have to wade through while avoiding lasers with no dodge. How are you supposed to deal with that? I thought maybe you just had to keep jumping the entire time, and that you only got hurt if you stood still, but that  didn't seem to work.

12 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

One tip I'd give for people who are struggling is to play this game like you'd play Dark Souls for the first time: very cautiously and defensively, taking as few risks as possible. That's more or less how I got to the credits from B3 onwards - creeping around with the Electro Pylondriver, hiding behind pillars, bottlenecking enemies through doors, etc.

The game encourages you in a number of ways to swoop in quickly and take risks, but save that for later runs. If you're just trying to get through then slow and steady is key.

Anyway, I'm back into another 90 minute run now after yesterday's crash, on the hunt for missing glyphs and the 

Hide contents

And once I'd completed the game I saw the pop-up telling me to use the device in the cargo bay, which just seemed to take me from B4 back to B1. Is this all it does, or does it have some other function I haven't cottoned on to?

Finally, how do you deal with the quicksand/lava that slows you down and constantly hurts you? There's a particular side room in the desert area where it's basically a river of the stuff you have to wade through while avoiding lasers with no dodge. How are you supposed to deal with that? I thought maybe you just had to keep jumping the entire time, and that you only got hurt if you stood still, but that  didn't seem to work.

Spoiler

No it just swaps the environment from act 2 to act 1 and vice versa to allow you to get to all biomes . Surely if you have completed the game you have the upgrade that lets you walk in lava ?

3 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Hide contents

No it just swaps the environment from act 2 to act 1 and vice versa to allow you to get to all biomes . Surely if you have completed the game you have the upgrade that lets you walk in lava ?

Nope. What biome do you need it for?

@Jamie John on a note about the items in your spoiler, they won't appear until you've seen all

Spoiler

five

house sequences. This was what threw me when I went looking as, like you, I cleared B4 first time.

The

Spoiler

fifth

sequence has you get

Spoiler

trapped inside the TV.

Once you've seen that, one will appear in each biome. I think I ran each biome at most twice before finding them so they've got a pretty high chance of appearing, unlike certain glyphs.

30 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Sun Fragments are in fixed locations.  I definitely recommend it as you'll get another House sequence and the true ending, but beware: it won't tie-up any loose ends. The game's story remains ambiguous as fuck, which - listening to the podcast interview with the director I posted last week - is clearly the intention. :)

The device is just there to remove the hard save in the middle, so you can play earlier biomes for things you missed (like glyphs).

The lava stuff is a permanent upgrade as mentioned by others.

One could say the true Returnal starts here, where you don't play it safe and you just move around like a space ninja while shooting everything to tentacled gibs with the Spitmaw Blaster. :)

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I experienced Ixion as one of the easiest. Such a breath of fresh air after the tight reaction windows of Phrike.

I find Ixion's patterns way harder to deal with, even now. With Phrike, all you really have to do is dodge away when he does his slash attack in his third phase which he telegraphs quite clearly. Which admittedly did fuck me up when I was trying to beat him with charged shots from the Coilspine Shredder. :)

In general, I feel the bosses in Returnal are nowhere near as hard as your average From boss, but they are really cool.

Cheers, all. I'll finish my current run and then grind B4 for a while until I get the 

Spoiler

House and lava upgrade.

I need to have a go at one of the challenge runs, too, as I've not done that yet.

Re. the story,

Spoiler

I'm kind of disappointed that you don't really find out what's going on and that it's all open to interpretation. Those sorts of narratives are rarely satisfying, I tend to find, and the stream-of-consciousness item descriptions and so on are a bit tiresome to read.

At the moment I'm working on the theory that she's in a coma as a result of the car crash and that's why she needs to wake up, but can't, or this is all some kind of psychotic episode brought on by the grief of her daughter drowning. I've no idea who the astronaut is, though. Originally I thought it was her father, but now I'm thinking maybe her mum as there are references to her mum being involved in space exploration, but then not being able to go because of some kind of accident.

I don't know, really. I kind of tuned out of the story when none of it was making any sense, sort of like how I did with Dark Souls. I think these kinds of ambiguous narratives are still something that games haven't figured out how to tell properly. You can get away with it in a 2 hour film because the audience can remember unexplained things that are referred to at the beginning later on in the film, once they make more sense. In a game, however, especially one like this, you can go a dozen hours between plot development or narrative exposition, so it's hard to keep track of what's happening. As a result, few bother to do so. 

I still don't know what White Shadow is, or where the planet you're on is, or how you came to be there, or what century the game is set in.

Maybe it's all a dream.

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Cheers, all. I'll finish my current run and then grind B4 for a while until I get the 

Hide contents

House and lava upgrade.

I need to have a go at one of the challenge runs, too, as I've not done that yet.

Re. the story,

Hide contents

I'm kind of disappointed that you don't really find out what's going on and that it's all open to interpretation. Those sorts of narratives are rarely satisfying, I tend to find, and the stream-of-consciousness item descriptions and so on are a bit tiresome to read.

At the moment I'm working on the theory that she's in a coma as a result of the car crash and that's why she needs to wake up, but can't, or this is all some kind of psychotic episode brought on by the grief of her daughter drowning. I've no idea who the astronaut is, though. Originally I thought it was her father, but now I'm thinking maybe her mum as there are references to her mum being involved in space exploration, but then not being able to go because of some kind of accident.

I don't know, really. I kind of tuned out of the story when none of it was making any sense, sort of like how I did with Dark Souls. I think these kinds of ambiguous narratives are still something that games haven't figured out how to tell properly. You can get away with it in a 2 hour film because the audience can remember unexplained things that are referred to at the beginning later on in the film, once they make more sense. In a game, however, especially one like this, you can go a dozen hours between plot development or narrative exposition, so it's hard to keep track of what's happening. As a result, few bother to do so. 

I still don't know what White Shadow is, or where the planet you're on is, or how you came to be there, or what century the game is set in.

Maybe it's all a dream.

Spoiler

afbeelding.thumb.png.7cce6a3e35a033d6143fc74a8fc7a5b3.png

Was having what I thought was a great run, except no weapons dropped in B3 and my level 3 Hollowseeker did so little damage to Nemesis that it basically was pointless. 

I did pretty well despite that, though. Just need to a decent few drops and I should be able to do it. 

I did Nemesis with the rocket launcher, but other futuristic weapons are available.

Was having a good run in B5 when I unlocked and figured I’d try out the Dreadbound gun, completely screwed me. Was like being put in a Formula 1 racing car and not being able to start it up.

Ixion done! :)

I’m safely in the “He’s not as bad as Phrike” camp, as I managed to beat him on about the 4th attempt (although I did spend a full third of the last phase on a tiny slice of health - harsh language would have finished me off). His attacks seem much less twitchy and survivable. 

I thought maybe it was just that I was getting better at the game, but on my next run I thought I’d tool up and go and get Phrike again. He beat me, fairly easily, despite my health vial and astronaut. Hmmm.

Biome 3 is excellent, and the grapple is amazing. 

Edit: Spoilered, cos you almost certainly don't care, but here's my "skin of the teeth" fight against Ixion.  Watching it back there are at least 2 extremely lucky dash dodges which were just my fingers doing their own thing rather than considered moves.  I was a hit away from death for the last 30 seconds, so any one of those lucky moments could have ruined it.

Spoiler

Edited by fretnoise
Added youtube video

Finished Biome 6 with 17 deaths and 3 days play time.

Was feeling pretty good about myself at that point, so went for what I thought would be a nice relaxing stroll through Biome 1 again. Oh look! A downed Scout! Let's avenge him, as I'm fairly confident I can take out the tentacled thing that usually spawns as a result.

Nope. Queue the most insanely aggressive Severed I've seen in the game, that fired laser-death everywhere and took me out in a matter of milliseconds...

18 minutes ago, Seamonster said:

Finished Biome 6 with 17 deaths and 3 days play time.

Was feeling pretty good about myself at that point, so went for what I thought would be a nice relaxing stroll through Biome 1 again. Oh look! A downed Scout! Let's avenge him, as I'm fairly confident I can take out the tentacled thing that usually spawns as a result.

Nope. Queue the most insanely aggressive Severed I've seen in the game, that fired laser-death everywhere and took me out in a matter of milliseconds...

Was it one of those Severed that deploys laser drones? Those are hard as nails.

3 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I did Nemesis with the rocket launcher, but other futuristic weapons are available.

Was having a good run in B5 when I unlocked and figured I’d try out the Dreadbound gun, completely screwed me. Was like being put in a Formula 1 racing car and not being able to start it up.

Dreadbound is probably the coolest wapon in the game, but it takes some time to get used to. It's almost worthless as a long distance weapon but you feel badass as fuck when you fuck up everything with that thing up close. The first biome is a lot of fun with the Dreadbound.

13 hours ago, jonamok said:

For Nemesis, the pistol you’re offered before triggering the boss cut scene is more than up to the task.

Thanks. I may do this. I just tried with a lvl 10 Hollowseeker which had +3 damage and it was very slow going.

I did one run with a carbine and it packed much more of a punch. I might just have to concentrate on dodging and use the pistol on auto rather than hammering the trigger. 

Don't sleep on the Rotgland Lobber either, especially when you have some traits unlocked. It's a more technical weapon and it has a short reload window but if you nail the reloads it packs one hell of a punch.

I think I might be done with this. Not to brag or nuffink, but I just managed to beat the final boss without taking any damage, and the run to it from B4 wasn't that different from the first time around.

Is there much of a reason to keep on playing except for the collectibles? I've got a couple of the 

Spoiler

Sun fragments now, but I'm not sure if I can be bothered with playing through again to get the others just for the sake of it. Does the secret ending just add another cutscene or two, or are there more levels and boss fights? If it's just the former then I may well just make do with YouTube.

Play it with again but with different guns with max unlocked traits. There won’t be any new fights to be had but the game plays completely different if, like me, you were standing outside rooms showering them with red anarchy traps to completion first time around.

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I think I might be done with this. Not to brag or nuffink, but I just managed to beat the final boss without taking any damage, and the run to it from B4 wasn't that different from the first time around.

Is there much of a reason to keep on playing except for the collectibles? I've got a couple of the 

Hide contents

Sun fragments now, but I'm not sure if I can be bothered with playing through again to get the others just for the sake of it. Does the secret ending just add another cutscene or two, or are there more levels and boss fights? If it's just the former then I may well just make do with YouTube.

It adds a new House sequence and cut scenes. No new levels or bosses.

So if you want that then no. I've done multiple runs since the full ending to play with other weapons, unlock new traits and artefacts, find new lore, doing challenge rooms and hunting glyphs, but most importantly: anytime I pick-up something else I realize it doesn't play as well as Returnal and go back to it. :D

If you want more challenge, pick a weapon you're not familiar with and do every challenge room and avenge every corpse you fight. 

I’ve been stuck on Biome 3 for weeks. WEEKS. 

I’ll be doing pretty well, and then I’ll land in an area with a ridiculous number of enemies and I just get overwhelmed and panic. The big robots that pull you in are the worst. 

What’s the best weapon/strategy to survive? I’m getting a bit frustrated that I can’t get any further. I’m doing proper clean outs of 1 and 2 and maxing out as much as I can.