Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

1 hour ago, Welrain said:

I’m struggling to get the motivation with this..it’s not so much the game itself but the not knowing if I’m in for a 30 min run or a 2 hr run each time makes it hard to plan my time, the lack of midrun saves is frustrating.

Yep that’s why I still haven’t bought it, not being able to save wouldn’t work for me.

2 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Yep that’s why I still haven’t bought it, not being able to save wouldn’t work for me.

You probably know but Quick Resume works well as long as you don't play other games inbetween and you turn off automatic updates. Not ideal, I know, but you can save.

10 minutes ago, Timmo said:

You probably know but Quick Resume works well as long as you don't play other games inbetween and you turn off automatic updates. Not ideal, I know, but you can save.

Yep sure but I like to cycle round a few games and don’t like to leave consoles on overnight or unnecessarily. It’s just seems such a weird design decision, it’s as if they didn’t anticipate each session being so long.

Friends, I see you guys kept this thread going. Close to 100 pages now, never guessed it would go that far when I started it.
Took a break from the forum because I was overworked and coping with some health issues, but I did manage to beat the RNG and get the plat. :)
Last one I needed was the 

Spoiler

water one in B3

Some other Returnal stuff that popped up in recent times:
A video on how Returnal and Hades change gaming, with Spelunky creator Derek Yu and Returnal director Harry Krueger.

A psychoanalytic take on Returnal:
https://withaterriblefate.com/2021/07/19/game-as-mind-a-psychoanalytic-explanation-of-returnal/

Praise for Selene:
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/selene-vassos-from-returnal-is-a-modern-sci-fi-horror-icon/

Sales figures:
We now know Returnal sold close to 600K up until July, which Sony seems to be happy with. They said it performed above expectations in their latest financial report.

Greg Kasavin, creative director on Hades, said Returnal is one of his favourite games of the year.
https://www.comingsoon.net/games/news/1190327-hades-creative-director-returnal-favorite-games-2021?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Up next: DLC! (I hope)

On 21/07/2021 at 00:20, HarryBizzle said:

Another Q:

Reveal hidden contents

Am I right in thinking the only way to access B1-3 again is to complete the game?

Very late to the party so this might be old news to you, but:

Spoiler

you can use the device in the ship in B4 to reset the loop and start in B1 again.

Credits rolling. Was surprised at how well that run went. Absolutely breezed through it.

I have no idea what the story was about…

Spoiler

I imagine I’ll be dipping in and out of this for a while to come.

Total suit usage: 23hrs 38mins

Deaths: 23

Areas explored: 268

Hostiles eliminated: 2,865

Max adrenaline reached: 52

Successful overloads: 806

Malfunctions: 117

Parasites: 58

Had this since launch and I got through Phrike & Ixion fairly early. I've really struggled with B3, been stuck there for what feels like months and I've only got to Nemesis maybe 3 times.

But tonight was the night. Nemesis is no longer my Nemesis :omg:

(still needed an Astronaut, several integrity upgrades and 2 large silphium vials)

However, tonight is a prime example of why this needs a save. I've not been playing much due to how many fucking games I have in my queue but I was waiting for a couple of patches on my SX to download so I stuck it on for a quick run. That quick run ended up being almost 3 hours long. Had to pause the game quite a few times to deal with stuff then hope I didn't insta-die when I resumed

Spoiler

On the whole I've managed to avoid most spoilers so after beating Nemesis, I did have a WTF moment with what happens next lol. I even managed to get to Hyperion but died in seconds :( 

Really looking forward to getting the rest of the game done now

I do think the no save system makes you play longer sessions and that's to your benefit. It's a game where "flow" is quite important and 10 mins here and there isn't going to work. Still, it's pretty mad there's absolutely no save option still (apart from rest mode). 

I'm starting to really resent that last missing cipher. I'm getting to the point where I think I need to take a screen shot of all the 19 cipher locations that I've found just to work out which one is missing...

Basically, madness has set in.

EDIT: Guess what guys?!!!

Spoiler

821EA19B-06F2-4BFA-8A82-3474FBF1CBC4.thumb.jpeg.919e2df9cb696a68916fc91eaabffca7.jpeg

Best game I’ve played on the PS5…we’ll tbh it’s the only game I’ve played on the PS5, but damn son it’s soooo good!

Well that was interesting!

Spoiler

After beating Nemesis a few days ago I had a renewed energy to play more. I'd gotten as far as Hyperion in the same run and died pretty quickly but thought the game looked even more interesting. I ploughed on and beat Hyperion on my 3rd attempt. By the time I got to B4 I'd unlocked the Electropylon Driver and spent every run looking for another one lol. B5 was a pain and I had no idea what lay ahead. Didn't realise that there wasn't a boss in this area. Enjoyed exploring and didn't find much that gave me any bother.

Finally unlocked the Ballasts and the Insulators which opened up a few things then found my self in the Abyssal Scar. That was a bit of a change lol.

Saw a few places that I couldn't work out how to reach which reminded me that I'd also saw areas in B4 that I couldn't reach. Then I found the visor, doh. 

I eventually got to the final boss after about half a dozen attempts and got humped in seconds. Only it turns out that wasn't the boss, that was a normal, albeit powerful enemy. The one that fires loads of blue orbs and multiple red rings. Fuck me!

Continued to soldier on (if you've been there you know what it's like :)) and this afternoon I finally found the boss door. At this point I was severely tooled up. Level 29 Electropylon Driver (with some excellent traits), 150% damage, tons of health, an Astronaut, a Child's Watch, the parasite that heals you at low integrity and couple of Silphium vials.

Except the boss door needs a key and when I look at the map it's obviously through that door I missed on the other side of the fucking map.

Traipsed all the way there and through that door was...2 of those fucking mini-bosses! Thankfully I managed to cheese them but in the next room was more of them (with shields) and another I hadn't seen before that fired red darts at me that caused malfunctions and one of those fucking green towers!!!!!

Fuck knows how I managed to get out that room but the key was in the next one. Except there were another 2 of those dart firing fuckers while I was trying to platform up. Got those and got the key then warped back to start the boss fight.

As I said, I was tooled up for this but by the time I got back there, this is how things looked. Turns out I'd picked up the item that fixes malfunctions somewhere so that fixed those but it wasn't looking good.

E-ISN-bXEAU4l1y.thumb.jpg.b0860aa7b6e124074577c276cfbe06b1.jpg

Spoiler

Dear readers, Ophion went down like a cheap whore at a frat party :omg:

Done and dusted on my first try lol. I'd even go as far as it being one of the easier fights although I did end with barely a sliver of health left. I wasn't even paying attention to his (hers/its?) health bar and had a WTF moment when the trophy popped lol.

Here's the last 30 secs

And now I read that you need another playthrough to get the secret ending??? Dunno if I'm up for that right away, got too much to play but I'll definitely be "Returnaling" to this

Absolutely brilliant game, I'd even go so far as GOTY for me 😎

Edit: How do I find out how long I've played and how many deaths?

4 hours ago, Hylian said:

Stats are shown on the computer in the ship. 

Got them, ta. Took a screenshot but forgot to upload. Works out at 3 days something and 170ish deaths

And for someone who said they would probably take a break, I now have x5 pieces of the "other" item. Started again right away in B1, killed all bosses in 1-3 then kept going through 4-6. Knew I wouldn't last long in B6 though lol 

My Platinum Accumulated Suit Data wasn't too bad in the end:

Total Suit Usage: 3 Days and 18 Hours 

Deaths: 114 (once I got passed the third Biome this slowed right down)

Areas Explored 319

Hostiles Eliminated: 12,028 (they all had it coming, well, apart from those poor broken sentinels) 

Max Adrenaline Reached: 205

Successful Overloads: 3,121

Malfunctions: 97

Parasites: 164 (oh enemies leave behind a pool of acid on death do they...nope!!!!)

Loving this. Found it punishing to begin with and thought I would never get out of the first biome, then have struggled with the third - almost beat the boss on my first visit and then took quite a while to even get back there for second go.

finally now made the 4th. Got to the boss for the first time with almost no health and got within a whisker of beating it but died late on having already used my astronaut and reconstructor before even getting there.

best thing I’ve played in ages and most feels like when I first played bloodborne.

And boss 4 is down. Went in fully loaded with full health, astronaut, health pack and a damage syphon, but didn’t need any of them. Felt like I was cheating with a carbine with leech rounds and rising pitch.

Got my arse handed to me in the next biome though!

7 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I understand your frustration, but I think you’d be fucked trying to get back into the game halfway through a run tbh. 

Maybe the start of a biome or something would be a natural break. I know what you mean though, when you’re in the zone it’s hard to pick it up again sometimes.

I doubt it will be done any time soon.

The devs seemed surprised and disinterested at the clamour for it, and I’m guessing only said they’d look into it to get Twitter off their back.

Personally, I’d rather they spent the time creating some killer DLC. Which I suspect is what they’re doing.

Had a couple of goes against the second boss now. Reckon I’ll have him next time if I have the health pack or astronaut.

What does everyone do for the first biome/boss if you’re further along? I build up some extra health and get as far as the room with the different fabricators but then I cash in and go for the 2nd biome. Do people go all the way through and beat the first boss again?  

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Had a couple of goes against the second boss now. Reckon I’ll have him next time if I have the health pack or astronaut.

What does everyone do for the first biome/boss if you’re further along? I build up some extra health and get as far as the room with the different fabricators but then I cash in and go for the 2nd biome. Do people go all the way through and beat the first boss again?  

No need to go bear the bosses after you beat them . There’s pros and cons as to how far you go through b1 before you go to b2 but in general I would always rinse b1 ( except phrike) before going to b2 just to get as much health as I could 

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

What does everyone do for the first biome/boss if you’re further along?

It's risk / reward. You get an artefact and 5 ether I think. If you can do it well, consistently, then it pays off. But most of the time I rinsed the Biome, plus elite room if its going well, then on to B2.