IGNORED

Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!

Vemsie

This is brilliant but I'm not sure I'm going to keep hold of it. I've installed/uninstalled it twice since last week (thinking of installing it again tonight!).

It is perfect for what it is trying to do and there are a lot of great design touches and they shouldn't change any of it. It's me. I know if I keep going, I'll eventually overcome any sticking points but I just hit a point where I say, I can't be bothered getting tooled up for a fight again.

I can get to Phrike without taking a single hit and get him down to his last bar. I know it will just be a few more goes before he's done but getting equipped to the point where I'm happy to go in is time I don't really have at the moment. 

Hats off to Sony for putting the money behind Housemarque's vision and letting them do it their way.

6 hours ago, Steven said:

I can get to Phrike without taking a single hit and get him down to his last bar. I know it will just be a few more goes before he's done but getting equipped to the point where I'm happy to go in is time I don't really have at the moment. 

Try just running straight there. Grab the weapon at the entrance and try him. It’s really just jumping, jump-dodging, and circle strafing. You’ll likely die, but you’ll learn more of his timings, especially his beam attacks and rush-melee.

Stick with it.

49 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Try just running straight there. Grab the weapon at the entrance and try him. It’s really just jumping, jump-dodging, and circle strafing. You’ll likely die, but you’ll learn more of his timings, especially his beam attacks and rush-melee.

Stick with it.

Great thing about the bosses compared to say Hades, is that once you’ve beaten them you can skip them completely on your next run. 

Started go get to grips with this a bit more, whoever said ‘just play it’ that’s the best advice for this game I think, it has its own language you learn by just playing it. 

Anyway, it’s fucking awesome, OMG. The fluidity of movement is amazing, and it really has its roots in old school games. It actually reminds me of Defender and old Williams games, I think it’s some of the sounds. 

Need to play more, lots more. Silly

work getting in the way. 

10 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It actually reminds me of Defender

Yep, I totally see that. It’s that flow, that fluidity of movement, of swift changes of trajectory, of weaving in and around the enemies, feeling like an unstoppable badass, just styling it out and killing everything in a way that just feels so good.

And then getting cocky and coming a-cropper. 😄 

I’ve been playing this for about 6 months, at least a couple of hours per week and in the past hour I have only just beaten the second boss for the first time.

Not once have I been frustrated or bored. Somehow it still shows me new things in the first two biomes. Such an amazing game.

Definitely game of the year for me. Stellar in every department, and I think the only game that really wowed me this year, especially at the start. It's also arguably the best next-gen only, show-off title to date. I hope that this game gets a lot more public recognition once PS5's are in more hands. Also I think the best rogue-like out there, I don't want to start an opinions debate but this pulled on the right strings for me in a way that Hades didn't, partly due to the genre and partly due to the presentation.

5 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

whynotboth.gif

Ha! Yep - Hades was my GOTY last year and Returnal this year (by a country mile). They are an amazing illustration of the ways in which rogue like structures are being put to increasingly distinct and compelling use

On 22/12/2021 at 16:13, Sarlaccfood said:

Don’t ruin the love-in here. We need this thread to stay as a safe space, a support group that is ready to catch the next member doing the trust-fall that is buying this game. 

That could be Radish, who will have my copy in the next couple of days.

It's nuts - I've sold it but I'm still thinking about it. Maybe I'll Return(al) to it next year if there's a bit of a lull.

The Guardian picked this as Game of the Year:
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/dec/23/the-15-best-video-games-of-2021

This eerie time-loop sci-fi game is one of the greatest and most darkly fascinating third-person shooters ever. Running, jumping and shooting your way around its desolately beautiful planet feels so good that you don’t even mind restarting from the beginning every time you’re killed by one of its ominous alien life-forms. It’s intimidating, and requires a lot of your time, but the rewards are great. A rare game that remains as intelligent and compelling as it first appears to be.

7 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I got this yesterday and it’s very hard but I love it. I’m need to figure out which upgrades are permanent, and try to figure out how to balance risk and reward regarding spending more time trawling for upgrades to fight the boss at the risk of perishing and losing everything. 

A good tip is not grabbing each new weapon you come across. Unlocking weapon traits should become a priority as these will help you on future runs.

Oobolites are important as is extending your health. Enjoy!

Also, to all Returnal fans, go vote in the GotY thread. :)

Finally killed the first boss. Second attempt since the first time yesterday. I was halfway through a run and realized I had max integrity, a pretty decent gun, pretty good proficient, and a health vial, and a resurrection parasite. I did have an astronaut token but I lost it getting the parasite :lol: decided to cut a long story short and just go for it. 

avoided taking any damage until I had his final health bar to 1/3 and then he just murdered me. I used my health pack and he murdered me again, and I forgot I had the parasite and went to put my controller down. Glad I didn’t. I took him out with a few pixels of health left. I’m not very good at this… yet

edit: second “stage” is even worse

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!