IGNORED

Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!

Vemsie

31 minutes ago, Polmon said:

Your next runs should go better now that you have the lava/underwater traversal mods. 

thanks. Was just complete unprepared for the timing of new enemies in several large lockdown rooms. Plus I kept not concentrating and wasting health by falling to my death

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’m so shit at this. I don’t even think I’ve reached the first boss yet never mind beaten it :lol:

This might help. :)

(You can also heal in the ship. They nerfed this so that you can't abuse this, but every little bit helps). 

52 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’m so shit at this. I don’t even think I’ve reached the first boss yet never mind beaten it :lol:

I spent a comical amount of hours falling to Phrike and sometimes getting nowhere near him. But when I started to get more aggressive the whole game opened up to me. I’ve never played anything I was so bad at and yet still enjoyed for that long!

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Sometimes it’s worth spending a few runs maxing out your ether, which you maintain across playthroughs. You can pick it up, you can avenge scouts, and after the first boss (I think) you can earn it from a daily challenge you launch from the ship computer. Then you can spend it cleansing malignant healing items and obolite stacks so you can buy more upgrades. I don’t really bother using the reconstructer anymore because if I lose my respawns then the run is more or less doomed because I’ll need them for the boss

38 minutes ago, Hewson said:

I spent a comical amount of hours falling to Phrike and sometimes getting nowhere near him. But when I started to get more aggressive the whole game opened up to me. I’ve never played anything I was so bad at and yet still enjoyed for that long!

Yeah same here, I love it! 

What was the elation like when you beat them? I'm going to guess, EPIC! This game really is something else. 

What are all of your favourite moments?

Mine has to be without a shadow of a doubt:

Spoiler

When you ascend towards Hyperion and he is playing a haunting version of Don't Fear the Reaper. It is just frighteningly good. This game sets the bar for atmosphere, and it is a roguelike. How can a game with shifting rooms feel this haunting. This is how. 

1 minute ago, SuperCapes said:

What was the elation like when you beat them? I'm going to guess, EPIC! This game really is something else. 

Hide contents

When you ascend towards Hyperion and he is playing a haunting version of Don't Fear the Reaper. It is just frighteningly good. This game sets the bar for atmosphere, and it is a roguelike. How can a game with shifting rooms feel this haunting. This is how. 

Each time I beat a boss I stood up out of my seat and uttered a primal roar, like a sabretooth tiger, and paraded around my house with my fists in the air, and my fiancée came and did a little dance with me

havent had the opportunity for a while. 

Every time this thread is bumped I check in hoping for some DLC news.

I am almost as pleased to not see DLC news but instead see so many getting into this for the first time as well as those still playing since the start. 

GOTY by a million of any unit of measurement.

I still remember a few folk on this forum moaning about the cost of it and, amazingly, comparing it to Resident Evil Village which was claimed to be so much better value at £50 than this at £70 (or, in the real world, the £55 that a lot of us actually paid for it via that ebay deal) especially as this was overpriced game was from a niche developer who had only released lower, 'indie' priced, games previously (incredible ones of course) whereas RE was worthy of its price as it was a proper triple A game from a proper triple A developer. Anyway, I finally picked up Resident Evil for a cheap second hand price and was done with it in 10 or 12 hours of the usual same old, same old, one play through and move on, RE gameplay. I'm well over a hundred hours into Returnal and still not bored with it so feel that the value was there.

8 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Each time I beat a boss I stood up out of my seat and uttered a primal roar, like a sabretooth tiger, and paraded around my house with my fists in the air, and my fiancée came and did a little dance with me

Well, that's not right, is it? She's supposed to observe you with a mixture of confusion and pity.

Fav moment was probably 

Spoiler

in Biome 6. I'd got a malfunction that caused enemies to attack when hit, I had a weapon with a portal gun and there was a crazy combination of enemies ahead of me. That one that fires out squids, couple of the spherical ones, just a stupidly random bunch of creatures that were all being triggered by my malfunction causing an insane light show deep down in the darkness. 

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Sometimes it’s worth spending a few runs maxing out your ether, which you maintain across playthroughs. You can pick it up, you can avenge scouts, and after the first boss (I think) you can earn it from a daily challenge you launch from the ship computer. Then you can spend it cleansing malignant healing items and obolite stacks so you can buy more upgrades. I don’t really bother using the reconstructer anymore because if I lose my respawns then the run is more or less doomed because I’ll need them for the boss

And to add to that, instead of just grabbing every weapon that becomes available, start unlocking traits as these will be added to the pool for future runs.

As for favourite moments, the build-up to the B4 boss is probably my favourite as well. But I also love the intro with that fantastic Bobby Krlic' music, the B3 boss, all the House sequences, the 

Spoiler

Act 2 ending which shows Selene living a normal life until her death

Just the feel of controlling Selene, the amazing haptics, that wonderfully amospheric dark sci-fi setting that out-dreads Metroid Dread. Basically this whole game man. :)

So after a whole week or so in B3 I finally cleared it. The boss wasn’t so bad, but it took me a long time to get the run down so I could get there with good health (drones!). Anyway, the hard yards paid off - I immediately went on and cleared B4 and the boss first time. That seemed far easier than any of the earlier biomes - must have died over 50 times on each of them, perhaps I just had a lucky run. Still loving it of course. 

2 hours ago, hmm said:

Well, that's not right, is it? She's supposed to observe you with a mixture of confusion and pity.

she was playing animal crossing on her special animal crossing switch I had gotten her at the time and enjoys showing me her stupid flower patches and telling me about something one of the Nooks said, so she's much more supportive now

I'm tearing my hair out on this now, with just 1 cypher to find for the platinum. I've been down in that abyss maybe 10 times and explored just about every room. Looking at a guide/map, I'm now pretty sure I know which one I'm missing, but the room hasn't appeared.

I don't think this was a good plan for the final trophies really, relying on the RNG like this, although I am still enjoying playing it.

Just now, BadgerFarmer said:

I'm tearing my hair out on this now, with just 1 cypher to find for the platinum. I've been down in that abyss maybe 10 times and explored just about every room. Looking at a guide/map, I'm now pretty sure I know which one I'm missing, but the room hasn't appeared.

I don't think this was a good plan for the final trophies really, relying on the RNG like this, although I am still enjoying playing it.

I actually just started this grind after putting loads of time in at launch. It's great to play it again, thankfully, as I get the feeling this will take a while!

6 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

Hide contents

Not only is that the standout moment of the game, it’s one of the greatest moments of any game I’ve ever played. Literal, emotional goosebumps as you realise what’s happening, understand what you’re hearing, and then the light-show as you fight him. Truly transcendent stuff.

4 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Not only is that the standout moment of the game, it’s one of the greatest moments of any game I’ve ever played. Literal, emotional goosebumps as you realise what’s happening, understand what you’re hearing, and then the light-show as you fight him. Truly transcendent stuff.

I just cannot wait to see what Housemarque do next. I loved Nex Machina, Super Stardust etc but let's just keep giving them big budgets please! 

yeah as average I am at this game it’s gotten under my skin in a way that most similar games haven’t. The level design is *chef’s kiss*, as is the sound design, the haptics, the storytelling, the mystery, the anxiety, the dread, the fear, the sudden ice water in your veins when you are in -the zone- murdering hostile aliens at adrenaline level 5 and making it rain sweet obolites. Then when I die I say “oh for fuck’s sake” and either have another go or switch it off and try again tomorrow. It’s like listening to my favorite album, kind of like Rez

I am getting better I think. I had a break from Returnal and other games over Christmas in order to play Miles Morales, but now I’m right back into it. 

I am starting to understand its systems a bit better too. The one thing I’m struggling with, or one of the things, is which weapon to go with. I generally just pick up

whichever has the highest number, making it more powerful. Is that right or should I be considering things carefully? 

It makes a difference, for sure. I find it much easier to get on with a hollowseeker than a shotgun, for example, in the early stages. And one being slightly higher level than the other is rarely significant. 

Then again, it's often worth taking something that has perks still to be fully unlocked, because the more you unlock the better that weapon type becomes overall. The pistol can be a beast later in the game, for example, if you've been unlocking all the perks on it.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I am getting better I think. I had a break from Returnal and other games over Christmas in order to play Miles Morales, but now I’m right back into it. 

I am starting to understand its systems a bit better too. The one thing I’m struggling with, or one of the things, is which weapon to go with. I generally just pick up

whichever has the highest number, making it more powerful. Is that right or should I be considering things carefully? 

hollowseeker is better for earlier biomes, I’m finding, especially in rooms where you get swarmed by lots of fliers - a lot of them cancel their attack warm-ups if you hit them so it does do crowd control quite well. I personally find that in harder biomes and rooms it feels under powered because it has a higher time to kill, so in a room where you have a handful of bullet spongey, hard-hitting enemies it fails to kill quick enough to thin the herd and give you space to breathe. In those situations I like the rotgland lobber (it often staggers and does DOR) but it’s up to RNGesus what you get 

also worth looking at what perks a weapon has, and also what alt-fire the weapon has. In my experience anything that has to charge is worthless, like shock stream et al

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

I would definitely try to unlock traits, as they'll be added to the pool for future runs and make weapons a lot better. Same with the Ctonos device near the ship that you can unlock items from with Ether.

I love the Spitmaw, it's a beast of a weapon, but it's a weapon that demands an up close and personal agressive style of play, which is probably something you don't want to do unless you feel more confident.  So I'd focus on the other weapons right now.